Author Topic: South Shore orange car roster?  (Read 1534 times)

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
South Shore orange car roster?
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:57:24 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a good roster of the old CSS orange cars from the 20's which are still in existence today, and where one might find them?  If no such webpage or document exists, can we try to create one here using the collective knowledge of the board?  And how about the present location of the old Line Car?  I know at one time it was supposed to go to the National NYC Museum in Elkhart for display...but it's not there...and the one South Shore coach they do have isn't looking so great.  Any help appreciated, thanks!

j-train

• Brakeman
Re: South Shore orange car roster?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
You're right about the line car at the NYC Museum.  It was supposed to end up there with the coach they have but that deal fell through.  The group (or individual) who owns them, The 90 Mile Museum I think was the name, wanted all of their equipment to be stored in Elkhart, but the museum would have been responsible for building a coach yard specifically for the South Shore equipment and an enclosed building to protect them from the weather.  Elkhart never had the funds or the man-power to devote to their own equipment let alone someone else's.  So 90 Mile pulled out after delivery of one coach and, if I remember right, took shelter with the good folks at the museum in North Judson. 

aj9c

• Brakeman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:12:32 AM »
In Chesterton there is an eatery  (or was been a while since Ive been up there) north of the NS tracks as you come into downtown.  It consisted of a number of old South Shore cars.  At one time they were orange not sure if they have been painted since or not.

aj9c

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:13:22 AM »
The business might have been an antique shop instead of eatery......but you get the idea.

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
  • I "HOPE" you got the "CHANGE" you voted for!!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
South Shore #4 and #31 are at HVRM in North Judson.
"Shippers & Service are 'Hi' priority with us"
INDIANA HI-RAIL CORPORATION

Mitch

• Brakeman
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
In Chesterton there is an eatery  (or was been a while since Ive been up there) north of the NS tracks as you come into downtown.  It consisted of a number of old South Shore cars.  At one time they were orange not sure if they have been painted since or not.

The business was first started by Damen Dietrich in the mid-'80s as a print shop and cafe. Damen passed away some years later and the business was sold, then closed. The cars were repainted green with some off the shelf house doors installed in some of the cars' vestibules.

If memory serves me correctly the consist was 100, 23, 14, and one other lengthened, but not modernized coach.

The funny thing was that when the first cars were lengthened by 17 feet, the retired diners were used to create the additional segments. So many years after the South Shore Line stopped dining service (1932) folks could once again eat in the same space that was once a diner.

swede1945

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:00:48 PM »
are the orange electrics at the depot/museum at french lick old south shore cars? think there's two or three there. think there's an old steeple cab electric loco in the line of rail cars between the depot and the domed hotel.

Mark

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
The South Shore Line car is at the Illinois Railway Museum at Union, IL.