Author Topic: Vincenes Depots & Purple head  (Read 15842 times)

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
Vincenes Depots & Purple head
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »
Here are some pictures of the depots in Vincennes plus one of Purple Head bridge
I don't like making plans for the day because then "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
Re: Vincenes Depots & Purple head
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
Excellent photos!! The good old days!  Here are a few of purple head  from 1930 and the mid 40's.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
Cmdr Suds,  I just can't place where the 4th picture is taken at. I don't think its Washington Ave. Does it say anything on the picture? Thanks

Chessie4155

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »
It looks like it could be college ave.
Chessie System Railroads
Purr-Fect Transportaion

Fitch

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »

Purple Head??...........Gotta be a story there......

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
This is a picture of the old Signalman's tower for the B&O railroad at the College Avenue intersection, looking northeast. the street in the foreground is 4th St., the tracks shown lead to the yard, while the main line would be to the right, out of the frame.
I don't like making plans for the day because then "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom.

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
Purple Head??...........Gotta be a story there......

Oh yes.  Purplehead= St. Francisville Bridge. 

Read about it here-
http://rking.vinu.edu/head.htm

I've spent a lot of time on that bridge and in that area when I was in college.  Such a neat area!  I love it out there.  I have my own pictures somewhere....

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »
More photos of Purple head, the B&O and other stuff

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »
Ummmm... not to be knit-picky, but pics 8 & 9 are the B&O. Not the CCC&StL.

And what's the date on the clipping of the B&O span opening? That's a neat little story.
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
I thought some might appreciate those pics since they have removed the swing span from that bridge.
If anyone has a facebook account, go check out the group "Vincennes Indiana remember when" and check out the pictures.  That is where I found these.

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
March 29, 1939. The Railroad bridge was turned to allow a large boat to pass.  See following story:

"This boat travelled up the Ohio and Wabash river to be docked at the Vincennes boat club. The boat was purchased by L.A. Wilkerson and Dexter Gardner. The boat was a two-decker with a stern paddle. It featured a double cabin with a kitchen and well equipped lounge. It took five days to travel to Vincennes from Evansville (due to bridges that had... Read More to be turned or lifted. It was noted in the Vincennes Sun Commercial article that quite a crowd came to see the vessel pass through the bridge. It took no more than one minute to turn the bridge. This was the first time the bridge had been turned since the summer of 1938."

Here is another interesting link:
http://bridgehunter.com/il/lawrence/st-francisville/

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 11:23:08 PM »
Just found this link on youtube:

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 11:28:20 PM »
Heres another video I found.  The bridge is in much better shape these days:

IT1605

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 01:45:43 AM »
Is Vincenes a hotspot?

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
Is Vincenes a hotspot?

Not as much of a hotspot as it was back in the late 80's/early 90's. Pretty much a North-South railroad town now. Still has some old B&O CPL's at the diamond and along the little used Illinois Sub to StL

IU

UP6936

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
Here are some shots at the Vincennes Depot.  I have some slides of the L&N Depot when it was a pile of bricks.  I have to scan them, though.

CSX2605, remember crossing the Purple Head bridge and using 4x4's to fill the gaps in the decking?  What were we thinking?  Our friend from Nebraska told of working on that bridge when he was in high school forty-some-odd years ago.  He was using an old Willys jeep to carry the cutting torch and tools. I forget what he was doing but he when he pulled up the jeep every so many yards, he had to put the gas tank over a gap so it would leak into the river (no IDEM) and not on the cross beams. He forgot one time and he watched the jeep burn. >:(  I don't think he worked for those people after that.
"Same clowns, different circus." - A pearl of wisdom given by a Conrail brakeman.

Bill

• Conductor
  • Now with 20% more foam!!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »
I would love to have a hi-res copy of the two chessie pictures if you would not care to send them to me so that I could print them out.  If not that is ok too, they are pretty cool shots.
For more area railroad info, check out:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tri_State_Area_Railroads_IN_IL_Ky
My Pics at Dropshots.com : Password billstrains
http://www.dropshots.com/billstrains

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
Yup, thats the last time I was on that "Purple Head"! I'll cross the Wabash at Vincennes and drive down Rt. 1.
Young and dumb!   ;D

UP6936

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »
Bill,  I'm glad you like the pictures; here are a few more for you. I think each is under one meg.  I'll be happy to send them - via email?  Let me know if there is a good way, I'm not advanced with using computers.

Also, do you or anyone know how to resize pictures?  My old XP system used to do it but I can't find any way on this version or Vista.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:38:12 AM by DD-40-X »
"Same clowns, different circus." - A pearl of wisdom given by a Conrail brakeman.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
Wow... double main B&O and a CPL signal mast. Not to mention the long-gone westbound to southbound connector, the searchlight signal at the diamond, and those paint jobs! Love the pic with the Chessie/SCL/B&O Geeps... that one is a classic!