Author Topic: Monon line around Delphi  (Read 2573 times)

chiefeagle202

• Fireman
Monon line around Delphi
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
These are pictures around delphi of where the new highway is going in. There is a old Monon railroad bridge here that I took some photos of, along with some old railroad looking stuff that remains. 

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
Re: Monon line around Delphi
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »
That bridge was built so the adjacent Sam Milroy Farm could get to their fields back in the day. It has been covered up by vegetation for so long, I didn't know it still existed until I made a trip to Lafayette right after construction started and boom there it is right out in the open again. I haven't been able to stop during daylight to get some pics yet, so thanks for sharing yours. Jay

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
I might add, that bridge area is where some have speculated the famous "Milroy Sculptures" were formerly located. They have not been seen for many years and their disposition is unknown. Mr. Wolfe can add more to that story if he chimes in. Jay

I bleed red

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Neato!!! I thought the interurban ducked under at that location. Jeff

South end Tom

• Chief Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
INDOT has taken bids on the rail trail bridge project. Looks like the low bidder (2 Million and change) will get the job. I understand that the bridge itself is a relocated highway thru truss span from somewhere in the area. The plans showed an assembly area, so I guess the bridge was taken apart for transport (can't imagine it being trucked). The Delphi local folks ought to be able to expand on this.

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:49:10 AM »
I wonder if it is one of the spans of the Maxwell Bridge that was taken down in early 2000's on Bicycle Bridge Road just outside Delphi found at this link. http://bridgehunter.com/in/carroll/maxwell/
I don't know if they saved any of it first hand, but I remember they had supposedly saved the damaged Hamilton Street bridge years ago that some may remember was messed up after a large PSI (today known as Duke Energy) truck attempted to cross that old through truss while racing another truck into town. They started out at the SR 25 Tippy and Carroll County line sign. The crew that tried to use the county roads ended up collapsing the bridge and it was left in ruin for some time until Indiana DNR complained and they removed the truck piece by piece. Later the bridge was taken apart and stored somewhere, but it is not of the same design shown in the previous poster's pictures. This was damaged in 1995 and PSI did pay to replace this bridge with a concrete structure aka UCEB.
The Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction bridge is North of the Milroy Bridge, or if you will, on the other side of soon to be old SR 25 closer to Delphi proper. Those that know the area could say it is located between soon to be old SR 25/Old Camden Road and Old "Old" SR 25 aka County Road 700 West.
It can be seen here http://bridgehunter.com/in/carroll/bh42745/
Jay

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
They are so close to destroying the area of the statues. I don't think they will but they have been so very close. It is a wonder your feet were not burning when you took these photos. LOL

That is all I am going to say about that.

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
Let us just say that if the bridge is going to stay,then the statue site will be spared. I took some photos last fall at the Monon trail. There were 4 flags posted at the corners of the viaduct.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Oh Oh.  Putting up a lath like that only gives the equipment operators a target. :P
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)