Author Topic: Fort Wayne railroad history and old railroad maps?  (Read 10559 times)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Fort Wayne railroad history and old railroad maps?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:12 AM »
So what railroad did I see on parnell next to northside park? They were railroad cars for sure.
The only thing that I can think of is the electric/interurban spur to the Childrens Home (which was located where Northside Park is now). They may have had a boxcar pushed over there for some reason. Primary purpose of the spur was to deliver coal for the Home's boilers. The spur would've been gone by the 1950s.

If you could find and post the photo, or a link to it, that'd be extremely helpful.

My other question is. Where is this park the interurban went too? Can not find it and I grew up in ft wayne. Born and raised there. Was it an amusement park? Seems like alot of money to spend putting down rails just to go to a park .
Unless you grew up prior to 1920, no, you wouldn't have seen the park. It closed and was demolished around that year. There are supposedly concrete foundations in and near the river still, but any other remnant is now beneath the subdivision. Take a look at the map I posted earlier; the loop at the north end was where the park was. Google "Robison Park Fort Wayne" (not "Robinson") and you'll find several sites with information.

Trolleys and interurbans often had lines to amusement parks, parks, or cemeteries in order to drive up ridership. In order to get to the amusement parks, people would have to ride the trolley/interurban. On the east coast, this was a pretty common of their trolley/interurban systems, and in Indiana there are a few examples of this. Robison Park near Fort Wayne, Broad Ripple Park in Broad Ripple, Riverside Park in Indianapolis, and parks near Wabash and Winchester that I forget the names of.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 01:08:49 AM »
That makes sense now. I didnt know the Childrens home was at Northside park. I believe there is still a building there. I also didnt know interurban hauled frieght or box cars. Very interesting. I will look for the photo after work tomorrow. I wonder why they tore out the park. Humans do stupid destructive things way to much. Its a shame they tear up to many rail lines

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
Don't quote me on this, but Robinson Park was gone by the 1920's as well, located along the St Joseph River just north of Concordia Gardebs. The site is now covered by a housing development that was built in the 1990's. I visited the area back in about 1981 by a local, and some remains could be seen then, such as the foundation of the dance hall. All wiped out when they built the new houses. Wish to heck I had taken pics back then. If you google it, you will find some links about it here and there. I do recall that the park was built as a means to supplement the interurban line's income.

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
Robison Park (as an amusement park) did succumb early on.  The rides were all moved to West Swinney Park and were known as Trier's Park.  However, the Robison Park property remained for many years.  I recall going there in the late 50's/early 60's for my dad's union picnic.  There was a large pavillion where they had the actual event.

I also remember one day while coming home from IPFW (aka Bypass High in those days) and seeing all of Spy Run stripped of asphalt for a resurfacing project.  Being of the railfan sort, I drove down into town and followed Spy Run north from the river.  ALL of the trolley track was visible.  Driving up the brick street, one could see where all the spurs went.  All the entrances into what had been the Shops (I&M) were visible as well as the tracks turning east onto the State Street bridge.  What was also visible was the spur that went to the Centlivre Brewery (Old Crown by then).  It left the streetcar track at the curves onto the bridge and ran along the east side of Spy Run (not in the middle as I expected) and ran north.  Just before the old curve that used to go between the brewery buildings, it swung slightly west into the street and then reverse curved back into the newer building that was on the right.  There was a large opening in that building where I used to see delivery trucks and that is where the track went.

If you are interested in local RR history, I would like to invite you to attend one of the Three Rivers RR Heritage Meetings.  We meet several times per year in the restored Baker Street Depot.  Our next meeting is the 3rd Sunday in January at 2 pm.  The program for that meeting has not been finalized yet but you are still welcome to attend and the cost is free.  (Unless you wnat to join!)

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
Please keep me informed on that. I would like to attend,. I wana learn more and more. So when you saw all them tracks did they tear them up or repave back over them?

storrs19

• President
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »

Really? You give up after 20 minutes? You have got to give posters time to respond. Sometimes, it takes 20 minutes just to type a response, let alone find and read all of the posts first.

Lol.   ;D
Also, some of us work and or have families and life in general too.   ;)

Sometimes it takes a few days to get some responses but myself I'd rather wait a bit and get a detailed and usually more correct reply.
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
Ok people cant we drop that now??? Geeessssss I have a life too. Keep that shit to yourself

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Grow some skin.  Being kidded for a faux pas around here is a part of being accepted as part of the group.

I'm doing good if I read through here twice in one week.  By that time most questions have been answered, so I rarely get to reply with anything useful.  Yet, I still get to learn something, because I am patient, and usually, there is someone who knows more about that particular subject than I.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
Ok, let it drop.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
"Please keep me informed on that. I would like to attend,. I wana learn more and more. So when you saw all them tracks did they tear them up or repave back over them?"
At that time, they were just paved over.  I think subsequent repavings have removed some of the rail.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »
That doesnt suprise me. Im going to head back up to Ft wayne and go check out some of the old abandoned lines. Need to visit anyway.

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »
In the interest of perfection, it was Robison, not Robinson, Park (only one letter N).  It was originally Swift Park, but was renamed Robison as a favor to the supervisor of the park, as I recall.

The track that served Robison Park was part of Ft. Wayne’s street car system and it was served by street cars.  The track ran north from downtown on Spy Run Ave., then up Clinton St. where Clinton and Spy run merge today.  At the green house 120 ft. north of Field St., the track turned from Clinton and ran east to Spy Run Ave. Extended, then ran northerly along the west bank of the St. Joe River/feeder canal to the park.

After the park closed, the track remained in place for many years, and ISC and successor I&M dumped cinders from the power house along the right-of-way.

The track serving the State School at State and Parnell entered the school property at the northeast corner of the intersection and turned north parallel to Parnell.  The attached photo of a freight motor leaving the school is on pg. 59 of the Toledo & Chicago Interurban book. 

Bills of lading for freight to the school listed coal hoppers, refrigerator cars and box cars.  I’d like to see a photo of freight cars on the school property. 

Electric rail service by interurban freight motors on the street tracks to the State School, Centlivre Brewery and the City’s water filtration plant continued after the interurban was abandoned in 1945.  The service to all three was terminated March 30, 1952.  I don’t know if non-electric rail service continued to Centlivre or the school after that date, but probably not – citizens were putting pressure on the City to stop running freight trains on the streets.

The City continued to serve its water filtration plant by Trackmobile, and in 1952 or 1953, it re-routed the track and stopped running on Spy Run Ave.  The new track to the filtration plant ran along Fourth St. from the NYC yards, and through residential back yards to the plant.  The last of this track was removed in 2010 or 2011.

Craig Berndt

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
Wow thanks for that information. You sure know alot . Im sure theres gotta be alot of photos out there somewhere

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »

Not all the track to the filtration plant was removed, I took these three pictures just last week for my postings on google earth. The first one is of rails still in concrete along Fourth Street. The other two are of the trestle that was built to carry the rail spur across Spy Run Creek, which has now been converted to become part of the St Joseph River Greenway.

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »
MFromHolt:

Thanks for the photos, and you are correct as to the last of the track.   A City project at the filtration plant removed the last track on that site a few years ago.  We salvaged a spring switch and it is now in service at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Craig 

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
Thats awesome.I saw that section on google earth. They should leave more rail down. I wonder why they left that small section of Rail. The better question is how long before they rip that out.... Wonder when the last time a train went on them rails.....???

Markedup

• Brakeman
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
So what railroad did I see on parnell next to northside park? They were railroad cars for sure. My other question is. Where is this park the interurban went too? Can not find it and I grew up in ft wayne. Born and raised there. Was it an amusement park? Seems like alot of money to spend putting down rails just to go to a park .
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             There will be a meeting of the Three Rivers Railroad Heritage Council on Sunday, Jan. 20 at the former PRR Depot on Baker Street in Fort Wayne at 2:00 pm.  Craig Berndt will present a show on the five interurbans that operated out of Fort Wayne.

Hope to see you there.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Sorry I couldnt make it. I live in Indy. Hope to make it there this summer. Going to come back to ft wayne anyway to check out the rails anyway

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
......They should leave more rail down. I wonder why they left that small section of Rail.....
If you look closely, the rail is imbedded in concrete with a manhole between the rails.  It will be a royal PITA to remove.  A large excavator or a big jack-hammer or more likely, both will be needed to remove.  There is a good chance that the concrete is sealing the manhole casting, so the casting would have to be re-set.  All that costs money. 

If you can answer who will pay for the removal and why, you'll be able to answer when it will be removed.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »
they shouldnt remove it