Author Topic: pendleton indiana railroad  (Read 2638 times)

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
pendleton indiana railroad
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
I noticed the other day on google maps the ghost trail by pendleton prison of a railroad bed. I went tto the park there at the falls and no one at the museum knew when that section of tracks was tore out. Anyone know? Or know when they re routed the tracks to the eastside of town

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
Re: pendleton indiana railroad
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
Im guessing no one knows anything about this but thats understandable. Things werent well documented back then and lots oof pieces of history have been lost forever like the knightstown shelbyville

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
Please, give us longer than an hour to respond  :-\

The Big Four rerouted to the current alignment in 1912 (or about then, I can't remember exactly), and the original alignment, at least south of Fall Creek, remained in place into the Conrail era to serve a lumber yard and possibly other businesses (again, can't remember exactly). Why the folks at the museum couldn't tell you that, I don't know. You can still see the original Fall Creek bridge abutment just across the road from the museum.

Also, the Union Traction interurban line paralleled the original alignment into Pendleton from the south. Its bridge piers are still standing in Fall Creek to the west of the falls (there are two sets of piers--one for the original road alignment, one for the interurban).

I'm sure Roger or someone else can fill in the details.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
Why the folks at the museum couldn't tell you that, I don't know.

It honestly doesn't shock me.   ;)

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 02:38:56 AM »
Thanks. I figured maybe they re routed it around town cuz less noisey. I did see the abundments for both railroad and interurban. Im glad they at least left those alone. I wonder where the lumber yard was

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »
Thanks. I figured maybe they re routed it around town cuz less noisey. I did see the abundments for both railroad and interurban. Im glad they at least left those alone. I wonder where the lumber yard was

Back then there was little issue of noise.  Most of the time it was to lessen grades and the impact they had on operations, or to get around a bridge, or have less bridges to maintain.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
Back then there was little issue of noise.  Most of the time it was to lessen grades and the impact they had on operations, or to get around a bridge, or have less bridges to maintain.
For the case in Pendleton, I'm guessing it was a case of wanting to double track, which meant moving the route of out downtown due to the right-of-way constraints there, and in the process of engineering the new route, they were probably able to broaden the southern curve into town and reduce the overall grade.

This was a similar situation to their reroute around downtown Zionsville at about the same time.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
That all makes sense and thanks for the info. That line interests me now cuz it seems like the busiest in indy. So it was 1912 they tore out the tracks where the park is now?  I know around that time knightstown had a re alignment as wel

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Yes, the PRR was doing a lot of right-of-way upgrading at roughly the same time as the Big Four. Not sure why they both were at the same times, but they were.

Here's another post with a link to photos of the new and old Pendleton Big Four bridges:
http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=9205.0
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »
The place where the old main (and spur to the "coal pile" track as the old heads called it) was a place listed on the track charts that i have has "Raleigh". For now, a set of block signals stand at that location. and the guard rails used in the parking lot at the prison are actually rails.  The tracks tie back in to the current alignment just south of the I-69 overpass.  the interurban tracks stayed to the west of the NYC track through the whole town.

Up until last year, the concrete piers for a wooden unloading ramp (team track, probably) were located on Main street just south of where it splits off from S. Pendleton Ave. and just north of Tile Street.  There was once a glass factory located on the property across the roadbed. (if you google earth it, it's the grassy spot nothing can be built on because of all the shards of glass still in the field).

If you wanted to explore the roadbed further, the city put one of its trails in Falls Park directly on top of the old roadbed.  it's kinda neat to see the engineering differences on an 1850's era railroad versus a 1912 era railroad! To get there, go to the falls park, cross the falls on the concrete walkway stairs, then look to your right, and you'll see the hill for the fill. walk up the path and enjoy!

Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »
Further south of town you can follow the grade along one of the roads heading into town.  Can't recall the name,  but it's fairly noticeable and a few of the old drain culverts are still intact.   Honestly this stretch is in better shape than the PRR is behind where I work.
Paul Akers is the place to be.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
Ill have to check that out on google maps

danielm75

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »
I went to school in Pendleton (class of '94).  At that time I remember a small section of rail visible in the pavement heading in the direction towards the then-new Village Pantry (sidewalk area near VP's parking lot).  I do want to say that I also remember seeing rail remnants in the old lumber company lumber yard.

And speaking of the original alignment through downtown, what is now the pond in Falls Park (with the light house in the middle) used to be a quarry.  I wonder if they shipped anything out by rail.  Or unless it was for local use.