Author Topic: Former RR near Eel River?  (Read 2566 times)

dgarrett2

• Brakeman
Former RR near Eel River?
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »
I have a question about RR tracks that appear to have once crossed Highway 46 somewhere between the Eel River and Highway 59 in Clay County. There are visible remnants of concrete foundations of an overpass that crossed Ashboro Road, which runs just north of Highway 46. There are also visible remnants of a culvert pipe on the ROW, south of Highway 46 on Center Point Road, which is on the west side of the road. I have family in the area and have seen these sights numerous times and I was just wondering if anyone could help me to identify them. Thanks!

hallbf

• Conductor
Re: Former RR near Eel River?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
I believe you are referring to the former Monon ROW.  This would be the line that branched off the mainline at Wallace Junction and went through Clay City and ended up crossing the IC at Victoria (west of Linton).

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »
No. Want he saw was the old right a way of Southern Indiana line built fro  blackhawk to Indy but was never completed. The Monon I & L branch does not cross hwy 46 until it  is near Northeast of Paticksburg.

There is also another line that ran from Brazil to clay city has a branch of PRR. The line runs west of Hwy 46 & 59 jct.
High & Dry Line

Fitch

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »

Speedy, the Pennsy never ran from Brazil to Clay City........Saline City was the farthest south any Pennsy Line went in Clay County from Brazil, and this was the Terre Haute & Indianapolis' Saline City Branch. It didn't Last very Long....Less then 25-30 tears from construction to abandonment.

Clay City only had 2 RR's that was the Monon/NYC Crossing.......Oddly enough the Clay City Tower and Crossing were the only place on the Monon that they were the Junior Road, and thus caretaker..........

dgarrett2

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the info.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
You our correct. At the time I was replying. I could not remember saline city name. According to my 1947 Coal map, that branch stop at Center Point. I do have photo's from the Saline Branch.
High & Dry Line

Fitch

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »

The line to Center Point was a separate Branch line....Same RR but the Center Point Branch ran from Knightsville.........

You have Photo's from the Saline Branch??.............are they on your computer or are they hard copies?....I'd love to see them...Dad and Step-Mom live in Saline City....

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
I will have to dig out of my closet the safe. I have found photo copy of Ashbro station log of August 1915. It is a photo of the log book page from August. I remember having a couple engine photo's.
High & Dry Line

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »
I have found the photo of the Saline Branch.

This is from K O Kayser collection I purchase at a auction with a negivtive.

It is titled has the last run May 30th 1916. The men in photo L to R our Powell Culley Fireman, George Fluhr Engineer, John Webb, George Smith Brakeman and Thos T Steed Conductor.
High & Dry Line

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
Just clear this up. The Saline branch was built by the Terre haute & Indianapolis RR in 1887 know has the South branch 11.80 miles. The line was leased to the Evansville & Indianapolis RR in June 3rd 1887 for 99 years. On January 1 1905 the TH & I RR merge into the Vandalia Railroad Company.

When CEI ( operator of E & I RR ran into financial troubles in 1913, the lease on the Saline branch was terminated and was back in the hands of the Vandalia RR ( Pennsy). This is back up in Ghost RR of Indiana.
High & Dry Line

IndyAnna81

• Brakeman
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »
Just clear this up. The Saline branch was built by the Terre haute & Indianapolis RR in 1887 know has the South branch 11.80 miles. The line was leased to the Evansville & Indianapolis RR in June 3rd 1887 for 99 years. On January 1 1905 the TH & I RR merge into the Vandalia Railroad Company.

When CEI ( operator of E & I RR ran into financial troubles in 1913, the lease on the Saline branch was terminated and was back in the hands of the Vandalia RR ( Pennsy). This is back up in Ghost RR of Indiana.

The E&I line you're referring to - did it also go through Cory, and cross the Eel via a trestle just off Towpath Road?