Author Topic: Fort Wayne railroad history and old railroad maps?  (Read 10736 times)

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
Fort Wayne railroad history and old railroad maps?
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »
Im not sure if anyone has anything on this. But Im from Ft Wayne originally and Im finally wanting to learn anything and everything about the history there. Looking for 19th and 20th century photos. 1800s thru 1980s. What I really wana find is old railroad maps in ft wayne that show all the old lines that were torn out or just city maps as well. 19th century is any exist and up to the 1970s. I dont expect anyone to reply but I had to try. Im curious about to spots in town I cant trace the rails. I remember as a kid there were tracks that went right by the old fort but cant see them or trace where they went on google maps. Also there was a line that ran along Parnell ave next to northside park. There is no evidence what so ever on google maps of it besides alittle north by the Collisium. Hope someone can help,. This has been on my mind for days.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
Re: Fort Wayne railroad history and old railroad maps?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
Well it was worth a try. Didnt expect anything. This site is kind of dead these days. Seems like people are just losing interests in trains. I think I like them more then anyone lol. But I def dont know near as much as many others but am trying to learn,. Ill keep looking online and hopefully find what Im looking for, Thanks anyway. PRRfanatic

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
From your description of the line running along Parnell Avenue, I think this was a streetcar/interurban line.  Take a look at the following link to a schematic map of the Fort Wayne's streetcar lines (http://www.chicagorailfan.com/fwamapt.html).  My suspicion is that the line to which you are referring was the Centlivre Short Line (route #13 on the map) at points just East and North of where it makes the T with the Pontiac-3rd Street line, where it says Spy Run on the map.  I hope this helps.

This site is kind of dead these days.
??? Consider this a gift from a ghost then! ;D
Cheers, Al

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
Im not sure if anyone has anything on this. But Im from Ft Wayne originally and Im finally wanting to learn anything and everything about the history there. Looking for 19th and 20th century photos. 1800s thru 1980s. What I really wana find is old railroad maps in ft wayne that show all the old lines that were torn out or just city maps as well. 19th century is any exist and up to the 1970s. I dont expect anyone to reply but I had to try. Im curious about to spots in town I cant trace the rails. I remember as a kid there were tracks that went right by the old fort but cant see them or trace where they went on google maps. Also there was a line that ran along Parnell ave next to northside park. There is no evidence what so ever on google maps of it besides alittle north by the Collisium. Hope someone can help,. This has been on my mind for days.
The line immediately next to the "Fort" was a spur to the water treatment plant. As I recall, it was originally served by the interurban.

What era are you speaking about for the Parnell line? There was once an interurban/streetcar line along State Blvd to the old Childrens Home that supplied them with coal. It was gone by the 50s or before. It never ran north of that.

There was a line from Centlivre along the river to the old Robison Park that would've crossed Parnell near the Coliseum through Johnny Appleseed Park and then on north a few miles to the park. It was removed in the 1920s, so if you remember that from your childhood, congratulations.

You'll probably enjoy the Allen County GIS viewer: http://www.acimap.us/viewer/ They now have a couple years of historic aerials available on there.

As for other maps, I'll see what I can come up with, and I'm sure others will chime in.

Well it was worth a try. Didnt expect anything. This site is kind of dead these days. Seems like people are just losing interests in trains. I think I like them more then anyone lol. But I def dont know near as much as many others but am trying to learn,. Ill keep looking online and hopefully find what Im looking for, Thanks anyway.
Really? You give up after 20 minutes? You have got to give posters time to respond. Sometimes, it takes 20 minutes just to type a response, let alone find and read all of the posts first.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

Racecar52

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Guerrilla Railfan
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »
Well it was worth a try. Didnt expect anything. This site is kind of dead these days. Seems like people are just losing interests in trains. I think I like them more then anyone lol. But I def dont know near as much as many others but am trying to learn,. Ill keep looking online and hopefully find what Im looking for, Thanks anyway. PRRfanatic

In the time that passed between your two posts, you could have tried using the search function.  You'd be surprised to find most all of this had been covered at one point or another, so take the time to look for it.  ;)

also, where google maps fail, try www.historicaerials.com/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:33:51 AM by BlackCavalier52 »
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »
Sorry i didnt mean to be impatient. Just had one of those days. I didnt know anything about an interurban along state street,Yes that is exactly what Im talking about the line going through Johnny appleseed.I saw a picture on a fort wayne history site that showed Northside park with a bunch of box cars in the background. I followed the line north but lost it around 469. Couldnt figure out where it went south of state street.. I dont remember there being tracks there but you could tell where they use to cross colisium. I wonder if they tore up the tracks by the old for yet. Seems like I remember them crossing spy run heading east but not to sure. I remember as a child my grand father whp worked as a frieght salesman for the PRR took me to see what I think was the 765 under restoration back in the early 90s. It was at HWI in New Haven,. Maybe it wasnt the 765 but i dont know what else it could have been

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »
I have mapped the Robison Park line, which was abandoned in 1919:

This was not the same as the line along State to the Childrens Home in Northside Park (which is #13 on the map link IndyKing posted). Northside Park and Johnny Appleseed Park are not the same.

As for other railroads that crossed Coliseum, the NYC (originally Michigan Central) line ran up next to Glenbrook. It was pretty much gone north of Lima Road by the early 1980s, and now is pretty much all built over.

The spur to the treatment plant next to the fort and crossing Spy Run was taken up in the late 90s or early 2000s. A trail is there now.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:42:24 AM »
why do they allways rip up the tracks. They looked cool as I remember. So the parnell line wasnt a frieght line? Why did it go to the park? Where is that park? I know Northside park isnt the same, I use to work right by parnell across from Northside high school at the Chevy dealership.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47:32 AM »
Also that map shows the line not next to Parnell. Its on the other side of the river. The photo I saw of Northside park was looking west and I saw box cars. They even said something about it in the Photo

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
WOW 22 minutes to find all that info and the site is kinda dead?  :)  there are new members daily and every section is active. Be patient because not everyone is on here 24/7 and some don't even get online each day. You can use the search feature and find many thugs on here already covered. Considering we have been here since 1998!  There is a lot of info on this site.

Wes Lewis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
Not Michigan Central.  It was the Fort Wayne and Jackson/Lake Shore and Michigan Southern/New York Central/Penn Central and the short ended remnant that crossed Coliseum into the nineties was Conrail.  Now, some of it is a bike path, particularly between Dupont Road and Wallen Road, on the north side, with intentions of taking it on north to Auburn in time. 

Patience, you'll find the Internet sites a wonderful thing with some patience.  I've found so many things on here and other sites that I never, ever expected to see and, in a pre-Internet world, would never have.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
Not Michigan Central.  It was the Fort Wayne and Jackson/Lake Shore and Michigan Southern/New York Central/Penn Central and the short ended remnant that crossed Coliseum into the nineties was Conrail.  Now, some of it is a bike path, particularly between Dupont Road and Wallen Road, on the north side, with intentions of taking it on north to Auburn in time. 

Patience, you'll find the Internet sites a wonderful thing with some patience.  I've found so many things on here and other sites that I never, ever expected to see and, in a pre-Internet world, would never have.
Thanks for the correction! I don't know what I was thinking.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »
Thanks and sorry again. Now I just need to figure out where it tied in south of parnell and try and find the path north it goes. Still cant get past 465 before it disappears. Hope to find some pictures. Going to find thAT PICTURE of Northside park to show you all indeed that the line ran next to Parnell. Also going to try finding any old fort wayne railroading photos. Looking to find 19th century photos and any up to the 80s. Looking for PRR which my grand father worked for in Pittsburgh and NYC , PC ,Conrail, Chessis, any of them im looking for. Ill try and post some here too.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
Here is the Oldest known railroad photo in ft wayne. Before the civil war. 1863. I believe this is on the south east side of town at what became what they called the Pennsy shops

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
Im checking those maps now. Here is a photo of the Coliseum after being built in the 50s. You can see where the rail line was behind it running through Johnny Appleseed park. I need to find a Ft Wayne Railroad historicaL expert.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Here is the Oldest known railroad photo in ft wayne. Before the civil war. 1863. I believe this is on the south east side of town at what became what they called the Pennsy shops

Great picture.  All wood burners.  Cheap and plentiful fuel in those days.
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
Great picture of the Coliseum from when it was first built. Amazingly, the building stayed and looked the same up until the mid-1980's with the first of two expansions. As for the railroad line behind it, that is the by-then abandoned interurban line that ran from downtown to RObinson Park, and as others have stated, it was removed about 1920. It also was the right-of-way of teh feeder canal for the Wabash Canal, bringing water upstream along the St Joseph River to feed the canal just west of downtown before the canal crossed the St Mary's. I have a pair of pictures of this feeder canal and the former right-of-way on google earth, with links of them here.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/81813482
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/81813475

Wes Lewis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
You might go to www.fwarailfan.net and poke around a bit.  There's a lot of pictures there, some of them aren't of the best quality but there's a lot of Fort Wayne pics.  Also, www.northamericaninterlockings.com has numerous pictures of Indiana and Ohio interlocking towers.

PRRfanatic

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 12:04:01 AM »
So what railroad did I see on parnell next to northside park? They were railroad cars for sure. My other question is. Where is this park the interurban went too? Can not find it and I grew up in ft wayne. Born and raised there. Was it an amusement park? Seems like alot of money to spend putting down rails just to go to a park .