Author Topic: NYC in Lawrenceville, IL  (Read 1751 times)

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
NYC in Lawrenceville, IL
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »
My son has needed some hours of driving so he can get his drivers license and by gosh its amazing how we just find all these roads by real or historic train tracks!  ;D ;D
Here is a trip we took across the river to Lawrenceville, IL to see whats left of the Big 4 there. Texaco had a refinery there that was served by both the B&O and NYC. Just south of Lawrenceville is the town of St. Francisville where the NYC had a branch that ran to Vincennes and connected to the Pennsylvania's yard.
Here are some shots of the R of W in town. Notice the code line poles still standing in town.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:46:07 AM by CSX2605 »

CSX2605

• Mogul
Re: NYC in Lawrenceville, IL
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:38:07 AM »
We drove down to the gate of the old refinery and I took some shots of the sign they had put up.
Notice in the first picture of all the rail traffic in that time period. The NYC is in the lower left running north/south and the B&O running east/west by the "You are Here" spot on the sign.

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
Great pictures and great history lesson of the area. Thanks for sharing. Looking at the site on google erth, it's pretty massive.

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
And if you use the date function in Google Earth, you can go back to 1998 and see the refinery as it was.

SX1979

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »

I remember the refinery well, I dated a girl in Lawrenceville while I was in high school. She lived a block or two from there, close to the  ball diamond in the first photo. The smell was strong over there and on days when the wind was coming out of the west, you could smell it in Vincennes.
      Did you happen to make it North of Lawrenceville ? I was wondering if you noticed if the old RR bridge over the river was still there.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:41:04 AM »
Its gone. I can't remember when it was taken down but I'm thinking after the flood of '08 maybe. I thought it held up a bunch of trash as the major flooding occured in '08. Wish I knew for certain.

SX1979

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

Every time I went by that bridge, it was loaded with log-jams. I was in Lawrenceville last fall, but I couldn't remember if I noticed it being there or not.

I wish I would have taken photos in St Francisville when the tracks were still there, it seemed like there was an awful lot of tracks for a town as small as it is. If I remember right there were a couple of bridges that went over a small yard next to the branch that came over the Cannon Ball Bridge and thru Vincennes.
                   Thanks for the heads up on the bridge.