Author Topic: In the need of a HD camera  (Read 1189 times)

Allaboard321

• Conductor
In the need of a HD camera
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
My old camera has started to act up and I have been wanting to upgrade to a HD camera. I can spend about 300 to 400 (seeing as I am not old enough for a job don't have to much to spend) since I don't want one of the cheep 100 ones that say they are HD but really are more of just good 480. Anyone have any good ideas of a camera that is of good quality and price? 
Charge your camera battery BEFORE you go to the tracks.

NW Indy Railfan

• Fireman
  • Just a railfan living in NW Indpls
Re: In the need of a HD camera
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Canon make some decent stuff, point & shoots, in your price range.

Perhaps you save your $, or get an early graduation present from your parents/grandparents,  and get an entry level DLSR.  The Canon T2i and T3i are coming down in price, and have HD.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I just bought a Samsung H300 at Best Buy, 1080i, $279.99.  Awesome video, great camera.  I also bought the Canon Rebel T3i, awesome for pics, probably not what you want in the way of video.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
To be honest, I'd stay away from a DSLR for video if you can, especially if video is your primary focus. 

I have a Sony A55 DSLR that shoots nice 1080, but it is a still camera more than a video, as the sensor is different and you can have timeout and heat issues.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
I just fried my Panasonic SDR H80 Camcorder the other day (Don't ask how because it's embarrassing). It was a great camera with 70x Optical zoom! :'(
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
I just fried my Panasonic SDR H80 Camcorder the other day (Don't ask how because it's embarrassing). It was a great camera with 70x Optical zoom! :'(
How?

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
If you must know I lost the battery charger out by the tracks somewhere. Then I used a third party power adapter to power my camera after the battery finally ran down. Unfortunately the power adapter had a voltage selector on it. It accidentally got pushed up to 12v and fried out my camera.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
If you must know I lost the battery charger out by the tracks somewhere. Then I used a third party power adapter to power my camera after the battery finally ran down. Unfortunately the power adapter had a voltage selector on it. It accidentally got pushed up to 12v and fried out my camera.

Glad it didn't burn your house down.  You got lucky there.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
Just got a used camera today to replace my fried out one. It's actually much better than the last so things aren't all bad. It doesn't shoot in HD but it does have a 16:9 mode which I can convert to HD with my editing software.  ;D

IT1605

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
To be honest, I'd stay away from a DSLR for video if you can, especially if video is your primary focus. 

I have a Sony A55 DSLR that shoots nice 1080, but it is a still camera more than a video, as the sensor is different and you can have timeout and heat issues.
What about the point-and-shoots like the Canon SX40?