Author Topic: C&EI Mt Vernon Branch  (Read 4271 times)

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
C&EI Mt Vernon Branch
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
I took a couple shots of the Mt. Vernon branch that left the mainline jsut north of Ft. Branch and passed through Owensville, Cynthiana, Poseyville & finally Mt. Vernon. The pics were taken not too far from the CSX main at the first county road the tracks crossed. I remember grain cars from Cynthiana going to the mainline and they derailed on the wye by the main.
First shot is looking towards the main(east). Second shot is looking to the west(Owensville) & a zoom shot that direction.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: C&EI Mt Vernon Branch
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:45:46 PM »
A few years ago (no more than 12) the rails still bridged the ditch in the first photo. Wonder if they are still out there in the weeds.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:37 AM »
You got my attention.That wye is like a coin in the air as to its restoration.Granted,Mt Vernon from Tile Factory Rd. east (southbound) the ballast & ties are accumulating & could just as easily be explained as routine maintenance from,say,Harriet St at Sherman east to the ports wye north of old SR62.But they did that on a large scale a little over 3 years back.You never can be too compulsive over high traffic line maintenance.However,I have folks torturing me with surveyors working the remnants of the line near Wadesville & the possibility of Alliance expanding from Owensville,Cynthiana,& I dont recall where else.That could just as easily be NS since EVWR already has Vectren paying into their lease on the mainline for the mines in Maunie & Benton.But then again,with that backing,why not venture out NE or into Point Township for the coal there? SW Posey County was found to have coal deposits that were left alone when MAAPCO was built at Southwind Ports.

Keep the photos coming! You may find something that wasnt there before.

Dont put anything here that may upset a "mod".

pintopete

• Fireman
  • Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
I always enjoy your pictures and videos of the old C&EI. The Mt. Vernon branch actually entered the siding at King and not the main, but the crew had to have the dispatcher's permission, as it was a controlled siding. The last time I ran on the branch, it was abandoned south of Cynthania. We had a road switcher that went on duty at the Princeton depot and worked the elevators on the branch. Since we usually had a worn out GE locomotive, there wasn't much power. It would only pull about six loaded grain cars around the wye unless you got a run at it, which meant the 10 mph restriction wasn't exactly followed. I remember dumping three cars there, probably in the 70's or 80's. Also, at one time there was a south leg of this wye.

Freightshaker

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
I always enjoy your pictures and videos of the old C&EI. The Mt. Vernon branch actually entered the siding at King and not the main, but the crew had to have the dispatcher's permission, as it was a controlled siding. The last time I ran on the branch, it was abandoned south of Cynthania. We had a road switcher that went on duty at the Princeton depot and worked the elevators on the branch. Since we usually had a worn out GE locomotive, there wasn't much power. It would only pull about six loaded grain cars around the wye unless you got a run at it, which meant the 10 mph restriction wasn't exactly followed. I remember dumping three cars there, probably in the 70's or 80's. Also, at one time there was a south leg of this wye.

I always enjoy good stories like that!!
Authorized Personnel

Chris Brown

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
I have looked at the old row when I have to wait on trains to high rail South of Kings. The siding is now the number one main. CSX had a scrapper remove the track from the wye to Owensville in 2009.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:02 AM »
Was it mid 80's?? If so, there are pictures of it.  ;D   Does Woody Thompson or Jim Glaser come to mind?  ;)

pintopete

• Fireman
  • Engineer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
It could have been the 80's. Also, I remember Jim Glaser as a section foreman and later a Roadmaster. The other one, a trainmaster, I would rather forget.  Also, concerning the Mt. Vernon Branch, I remember a big derailment on the CE&D main at Stacer, just north of Ingle.Since this blockage closed the main, a piggy-back, called 720 at the time, was detoured to the St. Louis Division to Mt. Vernon,Indiana and ran the Mt. Vernon Branch all the way to King. Since it was only used for locals, I bet the residents were really surprised to see a trailer-train go by. The Branch was probably beginning to close shortly after.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
I love this thread!
Is this the derailment that shunted trains northeast on the C&EI?
http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=856336

If the line went to Kings.....Well.Sometimes good things do return.We'll have to wait & see.Should it happen,that will more than make up for the fiasco once called Pioneer RailCorpse.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Okay-What was that GE center cab pintopete?
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel91.html

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »
It could have been the 80's. Also, I remember Jim Glaser as a section foreman and later a Roadmaster. The other one, a trainmaster, I would rather forget.  Also, concerning the Mt. Vernon Branch, I remember a big derailment on the CE&D main at Stacer, just north of Ingle.Since this blockage closed the main, a piggy-back, called 720 at the time, was detoured to the St. Louis Division to Mt. Vernon,Indiana and ran the Mt. Vernon Branch all the way to King. Since it was only used for locals, I bet the residents were really surprised to see a trailer-train go by. The Branch was probably beginning to close shortly after.
Was it this crash?
http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=853347

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
I have looked at the old row when I have to wait on trains to high rail South of Kings. The siding is now the number one main. CSX had a scrapper remove the track from the wye to Owensville in 2009.
Chris, surely you never had to wait for trains!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is that you flagging for INDOT at the I-64 overpass bridge? Isn't that the bridge where a train hit a worker hanging from a cage some years ago?
I drove over it and saw a CSX truck giving permission for trains to pass.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:02 AM »
Chris, surely you never had to wait for trains!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is that you flagging for INDOT at the I-64 overpass bridge? Isn't that the bridge where a train hit a worker hanging from a cage some years ago?
I drove over it and saw a CSX truck giving permission for trains to pass.

Uh.....I think that was an airplane involved in that collision,Mr Vieck.
BTW,the waitress really needs to take your order.The diner is getting busy.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »
...Should it happen,that will more than make up for the fiasco once called Pioneer RailCorpse.

Well said.  Poseyville would have some good news for a change.  Even the elevators could tie back in, if they were smart...
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »
I was in Poseyville today.  Here's a shot of the of the C&EI sans rails from Poseyville just south of the elevator.  Ties are left in the ground but I guess I can't walk on them! (Here's your sign!)

Greg

• Engineer
  • North Coast Limited
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »
Go on, be a rebel, step over that sign. I triple dog dare you.      :D
The strongest reason for the people to retain their right
to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect
themselves against tyranny in government.  

~Thomas Jefferson

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
Go on, be a rebel, step over that sign. I triple dog dare you.      :D

Heh.  Why not?  Nobody's watching!

storrs19

• President
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
I was in Poseyville today.  Here's a shot of the of the C&EI sans rails from Poseyville just south of the elevator.  Ties are left in the ground but I guess I can't walk on them! (Here's your sign!)

You better be extra careful there.  A fast moving train might be coming down that right of way...  8)
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
You better be extra careful there.  A fast moving train might be coming down that right of way...  8)

I wish! 

I actually saw a train on that track, just north of town, in the year 2000.  An engine with about 5 cars, moving south heading into Poseyville.  I was traveling home along I-64 when I noticed it.  I thought about stopping to watch but I had to get home to pick up my infant daughter from her babysitter.  And that was it....the last time I saw an actual moving train anywhere near there.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »
There is a nice two part article about the Mt. Vernon Branch in the C&EI Flyer Magazine. Just read part one. Part two in the next issue.