Author Topic: I need someone to teach me for the test...  (Read 3137 times)

kofte

• Brakeman
Re: I need someone to teach me for the test...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice, there's a club in Radcliff/Elizabethtown KY I looking at.

I'm going to try the "Extra" test this week.  Actually, being more technical is helpful--finally getting to use something from that 25 year-old fields class back at MS State. The practice tests of QRZ have been going well, so figure might as well get it out of the way. Along with a few mnemonics (The oscillator lawyers of Colpitts, Hartley & Pierce; _C_olpitts is capcitance, _H_artley has henries (tapped Inductor), and that new guy Pierce with the crystals ;)  and things like that), I'm pretty confident--more so than for the General.

We'll see... ;D

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
I passed the CW (when it was still required) and General theory several years ago and i even took the Extra which i failed badly.. Too much hard core math for me. So for now ill stay a General. I DO want to retake the Extra but i need to get a new book. Most of your "good DX" is in the Advanced and Extra parts of 15, 20, and 40 meters.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »

sooooo, now that I should be legal in a couple of days, I sorta need to get a radio---don't have a clue here ??? ! Also, though I'll be legal, I still need to learn the HOW part of this so I kinda know what I'm doing...

-david

Look for a nice used Icom 746 Pro or a 718. They are decent starter HF rigs and the 746 can go from 2 meter to 160 meters all mode.... The 718 is a simple HF only rig.  The Yaesu FT 840 is another good little HF rig as well. For an antenna for HF id put up a 135' ladder line fed doublet fed into an antenna tuner.
If you need any more advice please IM me!