Author Topic: Erie Lackawana Rail Trail  (Read 1111 times)

MFromholt

• Engineer
Erie Lackawana Rail Trail
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
Walked a bit of the rail trail this morning, and here are some pics of some remnants. The third and fourth picture are interesting, from what I can figure out, it seems when they converted the rail bed to a trail, they yanked out the concrete culverts and put them along side the trail. If this isn't what I think they are, I would gladly accept a correction.

robert_b1

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Erie Lackawana Rail Trail
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
...it seems when they converted the rail bed to a trail, they yanked out the concrete culverts and put them along side the trail.

An Erie Lackawanna tribute to Stonehenge???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
Photo's 1., 2., and 6. are battery wells for storing linside signal batteries. Wouldn't mind having a few for a future outhouse project!!! ;D :D ::)

mlb

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
I'M SURE IF YOU WALKED THE OLD RIGHT OF WAY YOU WOULD FIND MANY OF THOSE BATTERY WELLS. EVERYTHING BETWEEN HUNTINGTON AND DECATUR WAS BATTERY POWERED,CROSSING GATES, SIGNALS ETC WHEN I WORKED THERE. SOME WERE ROUND AND AND VERY LARGE, WHILE OTHERS WERE SMALLER AND A SQUARE BOX DESIGN WITH MUCH LESS THINER CONCRETE SIDES. I THINK A LOT OF THEM WERE LEFT BECAUSE THEY TOOK A LOT OF TIME AND LABOR TO REMOVE. I CHANGED MANY, MANY BATTERIES IN THOSE WELLS, SOME OF WHICH WERE ONLY REACHED BY HI-RAIL, SO YOU HAD TO BRING THE WATER WITH YOU WHEN YOU REPLACED THE ACID AND PLATES IN THE GLASS JARS. HOPE THIS HELPS, I KNOW THEY ARE STRANGE LOOKING WHEN YOU FIRST SEE THEM.

Racecar52

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Guerrilla Railfan
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
where were these taken?
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
Along the Erie Lackawana Rail Trail north of Crown Point between 93rd Street and US 30.