Author Topic: Was this some sort of signal?  (Read 1442 times)

Hammer

• Brakeman
Was this some sort of signal?
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
I was wondering if this metal pole thing that is laying on the ground was some sort of signal at one time (in the first picture) and it appears it was part of these two poles sticking out of the ground (in the second picture)? It is on the west side of this railroad bridge along the Dearborn Trail that runs through Lawrenceburg and Aurora (third picture).

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
Re: Was this some sort of signal?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
I wonder if it spanned over the tracks to warn brakemen on the tops of cars to get down before the got swept off by the overhead girders of the bridge?
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
Think they were called "tell'tails" or something.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
It looks like a tell-tale. There should be a wire screen in the weeds there somewhere. It would be attached to the horizontal bar. Back when hand brakes were on the tops of cars brakemen would slow down the train with the hand brakes. The tell-tale would warn them of low clearance ahead. Here is a picture of one. Some of them used knotted rope instead of the wire screen.

http://www.american-rails.com/images/xDeKalb19524843031.jpg.pagespeed.ic.haszsoVgaf.jpg
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Hammer

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
Okay. There is another one about a mile or so west of this one and it is also laying on the ground leading up to a truss bridge that is no longer there but the wooden supports for the railroad line leading up to it are still there. This trail was a railroad line at on time.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:43:41 PM »
There used to be one on the Shelbyville, hanging over a spur line into a building.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
There is one in connersville where the old NYC now connersville transportation museum Goes under the old B+O CSX

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »
Connersville transportation museum? Ummmm........... aaaaaaa..........

Hammer

• Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
It looks like a tell-tale. There should be a wire screen in the weeds there somewhere. It would be attached to the horizontal bar. Back when hand brakes were on the tops of cars brakemen would slow down the train with the hand brakes. The tell-tale would warn them of low clearance ahead. Here is a picture of one. Some of them used knotted rope instead of the wire screen.

http://www.american-rails.com/images/xDeKalb19524843031.jpg.pagespeed.ic.haszsoVgaf.jpg
The next time I walk this trail, if I remember to, I'll try and look for a wire screen in the weeds.