Author Topic: The Vandy Now  (Read 6616 times)

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
The Vandy Now
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
Since Russ nailed my picture almost immediately, I can now put up this little gallery. Mom and I walked out from Amo to the Crittenden Creek bridge (1mi each way) for a quick trip. Greg Midgley and hiscrew have really done a good job with the trail, and the horsepath. We may never see trains on it again, but at least it's preserved.

1) The old Amo Service Station that is now parking, and Mom's truck.
2) All that remains of the pumps. I thought it was kinda a neat shot, but I'll confess it's concrete with grass growing in it.
3) Vandalia RoW
4)The THI&E Culvert and RoW. They follwo each other fairly closely for a ways, and then a creek valley splits them
5) Old tie. It seems when Conrail or whomever went through here they pulled up the rail and just flung ties left and right
6) Looking out at the THI&E
7)Notice this tie is a bit smaller, rounded on the bottom, and has an S shaped metal piece in it, what for I have no clue.
8) Discarded rail joiner bars. Not all that impessive on their own, but to think they just lfet those behind
9) Liek Isaid, they jus pulled the ties and flung 'em
10)Looking down from the PRR Fill.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

MDavis

• Superintendent
Re: The Vandy Now
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »
Round 2)
1)A discarded coupler from a wreck.
2-4)Another remnent of one of the wrecks on the Vandalia. Knuckle's still there, but I couldn't get the pin to move, as it's probably rusted shut. that's still an insanrely heavy sucker, hence why it's still there.
5)Signal base. I wonder why for though, since we're out in the middle of nowhere. Was there a passing track here?
6)The Crittenden Creek bridge, with the ties filled between and sides added.
7) Note the lone sentry. I;m betting that stright pole out there once carried the THI&E power. This is max zoom for my little camera.
8) Old telephone line that would've been along the RoW. Oddly though, he's south fo the tracks by a good fifteen feet. Usually, the old powerr and phone  lines shared RR Right of Way directly, so that the old ttrains had access to telegraph, and the linemen had cheap land. So why's he so far over? The THIE is behind me in this shot a good eithth of a mile or so, B the way.
9)Irony. And maybe it has something to do with repetive pounding, but I;m standing on the culvert built by the Vandalia, which has been rebuilt with modern corrigated pipe. So why then did the Railroad culvert for a railroad that lasted till the 80s fail, when a culvert unmaintained by an Interurban who only lived until the 1930s succeed in long life unassisted?
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
So why then did the Railroad culvert for a railroad that lasted till the 80s fail, when a culvert unmaintained by an Interurban who only lived until the 1930s succeed in long life unassisted?

Great collection of photos - thanks for sharing them with us.  I suspect that the former PRR culvert failed due to a much greater lifespan of use and with much heavier loads than the interurban, not to mention a probable lack of maintenance when owned by Penn Central.  Just a guess though.  I do like the one of the "concrete and weeds" at the old filling station - it shows the former history of the place that one might ordinarily miss.
Cheers, Al

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:30:14 AM »
Morgan, i believe those s shaped pieces helped hold the tie together.

Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

storrs19

• President
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
Amo (MP 24.9) was in between two sidings on the PRR.  The east switch of Marion siding was at MP 28.0 then it was single track through Amo until reaching the west switch of Summit at MP 22.0 so I assume this was the base for the intermediate signal between said sidings as it would be almost exactly 1/2 way between figuring there's six miles between sidings and this is roughly 3 miles from each.

Chad
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
Amo (MP 24.9) was in between two sidings on the PRR.  The east switch of Marion siding was at MP 28.0 then it was single track through Amo until reaching the west switch of Summit at MP 22.0 so I assume this was the base for the intermediate signal between said sidings as it would be almost exactly 1/2 way between figuring there's six miles between sidings and this is roughly 3 miles from each.

Chad

Hmm. I've never seen but one roadbed for the Pennsy between Amo and Clayton, and I went to school between 'em. Well, two, but the Interurban would've been on the backside, unless I've been mistaking the PRR siding for the THI&E, but it's in the right place to have come up to the interurban station in Clayton.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
Impressive photos.  Plenty of train flotsam left behind too, much more than I've seen around old ROW's here in southwestern Indiana.  I noticed all the glass insulators were gone from the telegraph pole.  Shot off prehaps? 
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
A nice trail!  I used to walk the old B&O between Monclair and North Salem, but when they took up the tracks, they took the bridges completely out.  Now I definitely want to check out the "Vandy."  I also used to walk what is now the CSX between Greencastle and Oakalla, but these days I'm afraid of getting in trouble.  So it will be good to have a place west of town to go again.

-- Russ

storrs19

• President
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
Hmm. I've never seen but one roadbed for the Pennsy between Amo and Clayton, and I went to school between 'em. Well, two, but the Interurban would've been on the backside, unless I've been mistaking the PRR siding for the THI&E, but it's in the right place to have come up to the interurban station in Clayton.

From East Marion (28.0) to West Summit (22.0) it was single track.  The sidings at Marion were lap sidings similar to the siding at Aden on the former PRR line from Terre Haute to Saint Louis.  There used to be two sidings at Summit one for eastbound, one for westbound thus giving you three tracks there.  East Summit was at 20.3. 

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
Naive question, but what is a lap siding?  How would these sidings that are being discussed differ from the one at Almeda (if at all)?
Cheers, Al

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:11:36 AM »
Impressive photos.  Plenty of train flotsam left behind too, much more than I've seen around old ROW's here in southwestern Indiana.  I noticed all the glass insulators were gone from the telegraph pole.  Shot off prehaps? 

Possibly, I wouldn't put it past the yocals, but they may have been simply taken. At one time, they were worth something...
Naive question, but what is a lap siding?  How would these sidings that are being discussed differ from the one at Almeda (if at all)?
I always understood a lap siding to be a siding between two mains. (Like SP did in Donner Pass) The tracks went wider and then a y swtich pointed to a lefty and a righty off the mains to a short track between them.

I'm gonna have ot hit an old map and figure out where Summit was, as I'm betting that little ol' town is gone now.

A nice trail!  I used to walk the old B&O between Monclair and North Salem, but when they took up the tracks, they took the bridges completely out.  Now I definitely want to check out the "Vandy."  I also used to walk what is now the CSX between Greencastle and Oakalla, but these days I'm afraid of getting in trouble.  So it will be good to have a place west of town to go again.

-- Russ
Gee, and I was thinking that might be a fun "What was I" too... Oh well. So much for that location. One of Mom's friends said she and her sister walked the B&O in that area, and one of the spots was either a collapsing fill or they filled over an old bridge, or somehow it got camoflaged, because the sister stopped just short of falling through a hole in the bridge, so they aren't/weren't all gone...

storrs19

• President
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »

A lap siding is where the sidings overlap each other with the main going down the middle.  I've attached a screen cap of my PRR Saint Louis line TD3 sim from 1967 to illustrate.  There were lap sidings at Marion and Aden.  The one at Aden is still in use today on CSX's Saint Louis Line.

Almeda was not a siding.  East Almeda was the beginning of double track, Almeda was a set of crossovers and Limedale was the end of double track.  From Limedale to West Limedale was single track with a siding. 

I'm not sure if Summit was ever a town or even a village.  The PRR had a funny way of naming stations along this line.  I don't know how they came up with Marion at the location it is on here.  East Marion is actually at the town of Coatesville while Summit is very near the town of Clayton.  Hope all this helps, if not I'll try to clarify more.

Chad

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
You used to be able to tell where both ends of Summit siding where by the old concrete relay houses that sat along the abandoned roadbed.  The eastern end was a couple hundred feet west of Michigan Rd. in Clayton, and the western end sat about a half-mile west of where 200W connects to Clayton-Amo Rd.  Farmers reclaiming land for crops took out the eastern end in the late 90's, and the western end in the mid to early 2000's.

Somewhere I have some photos of the eastern relay house. 

E.J.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Almeda was not a siding.  East Almeda was the beginning of double track, Almeda was a set of crossovers and Limedale was the end of double track.  From Limedale to West Limedale was single track with a siding.
Thanks Chad.  Looking at your sim track chart it seems like PRR were really trying to prevent the Greencastle area from becoming a bottleneck.

Somewhere I have some photos of the eastern relay house.
Would love to see that picture.
Cheers, Al

storrs19

• President
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
I have a PRR Track Chart from 1935 in PDF format that shows much of this in detail.  If interested PM me as I can't upload it here because it is about 6.5mb in size.  In 1935 Almeda was the east end of double track and the siding was from Almeda to East Almeda.  By 1967 this siding had become part of the double track that extended from Limedale.

Chad

storrs19

• President
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
Al:

That's what I've heard from a few people.  The PRR didn't want a cluster**** happening there so they made plenty of provisions.  There used to be two sidings at Summit, both an eastbound and a westbound.  As you may know this line was the location (at Limedale) of the PRR's first CTC machine which controlled the line from Bridgeport to West Limedale, installed in 1930.  :)

Chad

CKB

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
That "lone sentry" may just be a utility pole.  Did you check to see if others were along the r-o-w?

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
I have a PRR Track Chart from 1935 in PDF format that shows much of this in detail.  If interested PM me as I can't upload it here because it is about 6.5mb in size.  In 1935 Almeda was the east end of double track and the siding was from Almeda to East Almeda.  By 1967 this siding had become part of the double track that extended from Limedale.

Chad

heck, I'd be interested....

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
A lap siding is where the sidings overlap each other with the main going down the middle.  I've attached a screen cap of my PRR Saint Louis line TD3 sim from 1967 to illustrate.  There were lap sidings at Marion and Aden.  The one at Aden is still in use today on CSX's Saint Louis Line.

I just found my copy of TD3, is that territory fully functioning and available for download?

Practice Safe CSX

storrs19

• President
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »
heck, I'd be interested....

EJ:

No problem. If you PM me an email I'll send it to you when I get home around midnight tonight.

Chad