Author Topic: NOAA Broadcast Bleeding Into My Scanner  (Read 1258 times)

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
Re: NOAA Broadcast Bleeding Into My Scanner
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
I've never priced attenuators, but I do know that when you reach the price level of a quality notch filter, you're to the point where it's cheaper to just buy a clean used commercial radio that's purpose-built for the band you want to listen to. Especially handhelds.

torgy1962

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
it's cheaper to just buy a clean used commercial radio that's purpose-built for the band you want to listen to. Especially handhelds.

That's exactly what I did for another of my hobbies, watching Great Lakes freighters. I purchased an Icom marine handheld that works great, plus it's waterproof.

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
NOAA Maps
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
The weather service has a pretty comprehensive series of maps for their transmitters.   

Relatively speaking, they use a hughamonguluss amount of power, 1000 watts usually, as compared to the average 40-50 watt power of a locomotive radio.

Their frequencies are between 162.4 and 162.55, which is just a megahertz from the railroad band at 160-161.55.  If you are close to their towers, you will get your radio front end overloaded.  Or you get plusses and minuses of two or more frequencies intermodulating in your receiver.  I agree with the previous poster about the pagers, which were located just below the RR band.  Good riddance to them!

Here's the NOAA link.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrbro.htm
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
The tower is located along Post Road between Brookville Road and Washington St
If in doubt, Notch it out!