Author Topic: info on these areas  (Read 1065 times)

Garth McMains

info on these areas
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:07:50 PM »
Can anybody tell me if there are any good railfanning spots in or around these cities?
Indy

Warsaw

Columbus

Martinsville

Center Grove

Vincennes

Bowling Green, KY

Bloomington

I already know of some things in some of these cities, but I'm making sure I know everything that's there.  Thanks.

Chessie4155

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: info on these areas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »
Can't say for the other places but you can park at the the Harolds JC  parking lot in Vincennes and watch everything that comes across the diamond. There's not a whole lot on the old B&O line (Ill. Sub) anymore, but the old C&EI line (CE&D Sub) is pretty busy.
Mark
Chessie System Railroads
Purr-Fect Transportaion

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: info on these areas
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:01:48 AM »
I like to follow the NYC B-Line along IND 67 from I-69 down to Lawrence and into Indy.  Most of the time the R/Ws are adjoining.  You can continue on Massachusetts Ave almost into downtown.

In Warsaw the ex Pennsy runs for several blocks in a street R/W.   The WB lane of the street is north of the track and the EB lane is south of the track.  The name of the street escapes me just now, but you will pass the station.  Unfortunately, it stops at Buffalo Street about a block west of the diamond with the ex NYC Marion Branch.  In a reversal of fortunes, the NYC branch is now busier than the Pennsy mainline.

It's been a few years since I was in Martinsville, but IIRC, there isn't much on the west side of town.  The track crosses SR39 and heads cross-country (no parallel roads)to the west and hides behind a tree line and buildings to the east.  In town, you can catch it at several crossings, but I don't recall any good photo angles.  Maybe someone who lives closer can clue you in.  I was working then and didn't have a lot of time to explore in the daylight. :-\
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)