Author Topic: Richmond railfanning guide...  (Read 6958 times)

Debbie

• Engineer
Richmond railfanning guide...
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
Iam from Richmond and have railfanned the NS and some of the former CSX which is now Indiana Eastern.

1. If you are coming into Richmond from exit 156 off Interstate 70, and onto US 40, to your right is McDonald's. You can get some great shots of the NS trains on the former PRR bridge and the original lettering is still intact on the bridge.

2. If you are familiar with Glen Miller Park, then you can get some great pics there and sometimes they have a train sitting on the siding.

3. Not far from Glen Miller Park is the 20th street bridge, turn right off of North E Street, find a parking place and walk up to the bridge, excellent photos there.

4. The Pennsylvania Railroad Depot in the historic depot district is assured to be any railfans heaven when it comes to being a railfan!! It is currently going under restoration, finally. And you can get some great photos of NS here as well....

5. Right by the Purina plant is some great photo opportunities at the curve.

6. Northwest L Street Crossing is a great place to get pics coming to and from Richmond Hill.

7. Salisbury Road Crossing

On the CSX part:

1. South L Street

2. Boston, Indiana at the Grain Elevator, they have their own engine for switching onto the main where Indiana Eastern picks up the cars and takes them south to Cottage Grove and interchange with CSX on the former B&O to Indianapolis.

rej70

• Conductor
  • take the pictures before it's gone!
Re: Richmond railfanning guide...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
Is there a connection between NS and the Indiana Eastern at Richmond?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
Is there a connection between NS and the Indiana Eastern at Richmond?

NO.  CSX removed the segment from the yard south to just north of the Scrap yard.
CSX tried to sell the segment to the power plant on the south side to the NS, but NS didn't want it.  Shortly after that, CSX removed the track and isolated their yard and depot.

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
I'm also from Richmond. 1972 RHS graduate. Here are a couple of then and now shots. First one of soutbbound/eastbound Cardinal probably taken circa 1976-78 time period. Second one taken October 2009. If you look close in the background of the Amtrak photo you can see a trailer train passing over the C&O on the former PRR, now NS New Castle District.

Kim Heusel

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
This summer several of us walked around the old C&O yard, weeds as high as we were.  Sad to see it.

Back in the late 90's it was rumored that NS was going to take over that Richmond portion of the C&O and base the L84 job out of there to work the industry.  Things got so busy in Richmond that having the local based out of Muncie meant the need of a regular relief local to make the run from Muncie to Camden and back each day.  The L84 worked from Millville to Richmond and the L81 would work down to Camden and turn, sometimes working to Hamilton at the scrap yard there as needed.  Usually you would run around your train at Camden and run back.  Later things changed enough that NS had to add a 3rd local in this service group, but that was more to do with new rules and only wanting a local to work 8hrs.

Had NS taken over that part of the C&O you could have added the coal traffic as well as the scrap yard.  I was told CSX would have lifted the south Richmond to Boston portion of the line at that point as well.
We all laughed at the thought of bringing even 20 car cuts of coal down the old PRR-C&O connection track.  Even 1-2 cars was a riot.  I had the chance to interchange a couple of times with the CSX there and it was interesting going down that connection.

Debbie

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »
I grew up on this line, and lived on South 3rd Street. I remember as a kid standing in the backyard watching the Cardinal roll by and if iam not mistakin, even the Chessie Steam Special made it's way through Richmond years ago. This is my home line and miss it very much.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »

even the Chessie Steam Special made it's way through Richmond years ago.

Yep, when you rode the Chessie Steam Special you got a button for your cap and also a booklet with a track diagram of the route you were taking. I have a box full of those from my Chessie Steam Special trips. There was a one way trip from Cincinnati to Chicago on June 5 according to my button not sure of the year, but I believe it was 1977, IIRC the specials stopped in 1978. My Cincinnati to North Vernon button says August 13, 1977.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »
I grew up on this line, and lived on South 3rd Street. I remember as a kid standing in the backyard watching the Cardinal roll by and if iam not mistakin, even the Chessie Steam Special made it's way through Richmond years ago. This is my home line and miss it very much.

Check out my website then Debbie
www.candoindiana.com

Lots of pictures with more stuff to come.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
Yep, when you rode the Chessie Steam Special you got a button for your cap and also a booklet with a track diagram of the route you were taking. I have a box full of those from my Chessie Steam Special trips. There was a one way trip from Cincinnati to Chicago on June 5 according to my button not sure of the year, but I believe it was 1977, IIRC the specials stopped in 1978. My Cincinnati to North Vernon button says August 13, 1977.

I believe you are correct Virg, it was in 1977.  I believe it made 2 trips on the C&O of Indiana that year, but I've been told there were 3 trips made, just can't say if it happened all that year or not.  I've found 3 different trip photos, 2 northbound and 1 southbound.

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
I believe you are correct Virg, it was in 1977.  I believe it made 2 trips on the C&O of Indiana that year, but I've been told there were 3 trips made, just can't say if it happened all that year or not.  I've found 3 different trip photos, 2 northbound and 1 southbound.

Yes, it definitely made at least one southbound trip in 1977. Not sure of the exact date, but it was the summer my mom died. My wife and I had taken my dad to a Reds game where we met another college friend. On the way back we stopped at Cottage Grove hoping to catch it there and hoping we hadn't missed it. Turned out it was running a little late. Got back into Richmond and finally got him coming south down near the 5th Street overpass. Unfortunately it was getting pretty dark by that time and my photos weren't very good. First time I had ever experienced real steam and loved it. Never forget the sound of the whistle.

Kim Heusel

Debbie

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Yeah, i do remember the southbound Chessie Special, was 4 years old back then. Iam planning on going up to the old depot when we come into Richmond sometime and getting some pics, lots of old memories for me.. I even remember when the yard was full too.. :)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »
The northbound had a mess of issues when it came through.

I can account for 2 trips for sure.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
Has anyone ever mentioned Railfanning in New Castle.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
Has anyone ever mentioned Railfanning in New Castle.

LOL, why?  I've taken lots of pictures there, but only in passing.  With nothing moving onto the Branch there, only the passing trains are worth the mention.   ;D

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
LOL, why?  I've taken lots of pictures there, but only in passing.  With nothing moving onto the Branch there, only the passing trains are worth the mention.   ;D
In other words, the only reliable trains are NS New Castle District through trains, and there aren't too many great photo angles in town to speak of. Fortunately, there are several places in town you can sit at without trespassing, so what constitutes a good railfanning spot is up to your preference. It's worth exploring, but for the most part, it's just another point along the line.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
I think I've tried every angle I can there.  In almost every spot there is clutter and or something in your way.  While the elevation the old Sears lot provides, the photos never turn out good.

If you are truly there to railfan, the action isn't great, not even a local to service the town anymore until the CNCRR gets back to interchanging. 

Richmond is iffy, but you have the locals and the IERR on the south side of town. 

;D

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
RICHMOND IS GREAT IF YOU'RE THERE AT THE RIGHT TIMES! Unfortunately I live here and still don't know Indiana Eastern's schedule for the coal train to RP&L. I have video of them streetrunning backwards down S 8th street with about twelve fully loaded 100 ton coal hoppers. That was pure luck as I didn't have a scanner back then. It's about time I post a link to my YouTube Channel to this site so everyone can view ALL my videos. Almost all my videos are in Richmond with some others in Indianapolis, Connersville, and New Castle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RailfanTube?feature=mhee

If I had to pick my favorite railfanning spot in Richmond, it would be right by the Purina Plant. It's THE BEST vantage point. Providing NS doesn't have equipment parked in the way, and Purina has no trailers parked in the way, you can see headlights of distant trains for quite some distance disappearing and reappearing through the hills to the Northwest. With binoculars you can see the Richmond holdout signal looking that way as well. To the northeast you can see all the way through town to the very west end of the passing siding along with its West End Richmond Signal. In my most recent video I caught six of the nine trains I saw yesterday from this spot. I took advantage of it with my 70x optical zoom.

Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
You just need to get a ATCS radio and put the ATCS on your computer.  Indyspy has already done the leg work for the entire New Castle District.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 12:42:21 AM »
Richmond might also have potential for an ATCS server if your in the right spot.

Potential for picking up HOS Richmond, East and West Richmond, East and West Cambellstown, and the HOS Eaton.

But you have to have the right spot, and be willing to host some on site gear as well as some place to put the Antenna high up outside.

If in doubt, Notch it out!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
Richmond might also have potential for an ATCS server if your in the right spot.

Potential for picking up HOS Richmond, East and West Richmond, East and West Cambellstown, and the HOS Eaton.

But you have to have the right spot, and be willing to host some on site gear as well as some place to put the Antenna high up outside.

Perhaps a better alternative than the New Castle site was????