Author Topic: New Haven Depot restoration  (Read 4656 times)

conrailman75

• Engineer
Re: New Haven Depot restoration
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
I was up there in the beginning of May and took a few photos of the depot before heading back home.  Great job on restoring the depot, it looks really nice and I plan to take a few more photos whenever the next time I visit New Haven now that all the exterior work is finished.  Again, job well done!!!!!

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »
They are having issues in finishing the interior, not to mention some isues that have croped up recently, but we hope to have everything finished within a few weeks...I'm guessing end of July.....anyway, not sure of plans of an open house at this time, but I will post here as soon as dates are set.

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
Finally was able to hobble over with a camera and take pictures of the interior today(Broke toe and elbow a few weeks back), and got some good pictures of the interior. For those railfans, looks like a good deck to watch the trains roll by. Believe we will be putting a bench or two up, but if not, you can always bring your own camper chair.

1) shows a view from the Agents room into the passenger waiting room, notice the window to the right of the door, as it retracts up into the wall.

2) Agents room looking towards the current NS tracks and out the windows.

3) Decorative artwork on roof ridge, this was visible in a photo from c1890's, when the depot was probably in it's oringanl location on other side of State Street(to the east).

4) A wide angle view from the recessedbay area of the agents room. One of the two original wood burners will be placed  to the left in the picture, when we ever get it restored.

5) Wide angle view of the passenger waiting room, taken from where the otehr wood burner stove was located.

6)View from west end of depot, looking towards the northwest.

7) Looks like a good place to sit .

8 ) Wide angle view from inside the depot looking from east to west voer the NS tracks.

9) Wide angle shot of the interior of the freight room, most of the floor and wall boards are original. Probably the only modification in this room is that the attic area over the agent and passenger room has been sealed off above the ladder and an entrance door has been installed for access. Also, it seems the door on right(north) was originaly a sliding door to match the one on left(south). When it was made into a swinging door, they took the original door and cut it in half and hung it, after resizing the opening, making it a bit more narrow.

For those curious about the paint color selections, the strippers were able to find traces of the original colors, or what we assume to be the original colors. The results were quite surprising, as we've been told it should be something completely different. We've no idea when changes were made to the freight room door, the ceilings in the passenger and agent room, or when the bathroom was added.(Yes, we've a bathroom, and now ada compliant) Some of hte windows still have the original hardware, and the south freight door has what looks to be the original wodden doorstop. There is also a few cross beams from old telegraph poles.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:01:08 AM by indrr »

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »
The depot looks FABULOUS!   I've driven by it for years and hoped that someone would step up and save it from falling down on itself.  I trust that the bushes will be cut out of the fence?  Is there ANY chance that fence could be shortened so you could actually photograph over it?  I just happened to notice that if a few branches to the west were trimmed, I think some good shots of eastbound trains could be possible from the platform.

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
The depot looks FABULOUS!   I've driven by it for years and hoped that someone would step up and save it from falling down on itself.  I trust that the bushes will be cut out of the fence?  Is there ANY chance that fence could be shortened so you could actually photograph over it?  I just happened to notice that if a few branches to the west were trimmed, I think some good shots of eastbound trains could be possible from the platform.

The bushes in the fence will be yanked, just not right now. The fence is NS property, and their lawyers will probably not interested in lowering it. Same for the trees to the west, as anything beyond the fence to the west is at the moment currently NS property. We would like to get the old ROW going northwest from the deopt to the old bridge site, about 650' in leangth, it would make a nice continuation of the small park/trailhead, but that's in the future. Lots of ideas, but it takes time and of course money, as wella s some other issues that we can not discuss too much publicly.