Author Topic: What camera is better?  (Read 1195 times)

Allaboard321

• Conductor
What camera is better?
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
I have two different cameras I can use. Both different brands and very different models. One is a Canon power shot G6 and the other is a song cyber shot. I have links of the specs of both cameras and a link of a photo from each camera at the same location.

Canon power shot
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_g6

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2412152

Sony cyber shot
http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dsch55

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2562318

Both cameras were on auto setting. But as you can see from the Photos the much older (but at the time was top of the line) has about no blur in the picture. The problem with the Canon power shot that did better was the the screen is very small compared to the cyber shot.

Charge your camera battery BEFORE you go to the tracks.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: What camera is better?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »
Any older digital camera has its issues.  I'd almost always go with a newer version. 
Especially in the Point N Shoot world. 
Slow shutter and many other things really can kill a high speed shot. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
I have two Nikon Cameras. 1 is a Nikon D40, The other is a Nikon D50. I have no problems with either of them. I have one set up with the 18-55 lense and the other with a 55-200 telephoto lense. They both do the job. I have had other Cameras and I like my Nikons best of all.

Allaboard321

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
Guess I should have said what one was is older. The Canon power Shot is probably 7 or 8 years older than the sony cyber shot. The Canon is just about as advanced as you can get without going into DSLR.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
I have two Nikon Cameras. 1 is a Nikon D40, The other is a Nikon D50. I have no problems with either of them. I have one set up with the 18-55 lense and the other with a 55-200 telephoto lense. They both do the job. I have had other Cameras and I like my Nikons best of all.

yes but he isnt talking about a dslr.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »
Guess I should have said what one was is older. The Canon power Shot is probably 7 or 8 years older than the sony cyber shot. The Canon is just about as advanced as you can get without going into DSLR.

Use the camera that gives you what you feel is the best results.  Honestly the pns market is tough to get a camera that will land good speed shots.
So if you have one that can go for it.  Ive never used a sony pns so I cant speak on its quality. 

Racecar52

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Guerrilla Railfan
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
I personally prefer Canon's but I'll play devils advocate here. 
The Sony shot has the locomotive closer to you and further to the edge of the frame.  So, even if we assume the trains were traveling at the same speed (which I'd bet the roadrailer was probably doing more), the Sony image is fighting a subject that is changing its position within the frame faster, resulting in blur.

But in a fair comparison you would need identical train speeds, similar lighting and time of day conditions, even the color/brightness of cars in the consist can affect shutter speed in the auto mode.

Or you could just not shoot in auto  ::) ;D :P
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
Me thinks you should ask santa for a new toy this year  ;D

I spy a good sale on a Canon SX130Is... 99 dollars online at target. That little Canon has gotten me a few Ep's on the archives...well plus user skill (maybe) :P

Also to be fair on the Sony, the subject was most likely too far to the edge of the frame for the auto to realize that it was your main target.
Prairie Maverick.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »
Whether you use one or both of the cameras mentioned or Santa drops one under the tree for you in couple of weeks, I would recommend that you take the time to learn how to operate your camera in manual setting mode. It will help you to understand what is going on in different lighting situations and help you to setup better since you will then know what to do when "automatic" won't get the job done. This won't happen in an instant, it might take some time doing test shots in your favorite railfanning locations at different times of the day.

INprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

Allaboard321

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
These are both older pictures before I knew what the setting where and as of now I have taken them off of auto and are using manual setting. For both pictures I took the photo at the same time but the difference in cameras is making for the delay in the Sony. I already know whats going to be under the tree for me and its not a camera. I'm thinking a $700 (the canon) camera even though it is several years old is going to be better than a newer camera that was $200 (the Sony).

I added a photo of the two cameras and their is is a big difference between them. On the left is the Sony and the right the Canon. And yes I know the quality is terrible it was taken using the photo setting on my video camera.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:26:26 AM by Allaboard321 »

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
I'd say go with your gut instinct. If I had the decision to use any camera at home, I'd use my dad's old 3mp Canon powershot. It's similar to the G6 but I'm not sure what it is off-hand right now. I liked it because you could do a lot more with it than you could a smaller power shot point-and-shoot camera that I use now.(which is my mom's.)

I haven't had as much time to use my dad's much anymore because it is having some issues, but if I had to choose to use it, I would. Definitely sit down with the manual and camera and just read. I know that's hard for kids to do (and believe me, I don't like reading either.  ;D ) but it will definitely help out depending on any given day you want to try different shots, different angles, different lightings, etc.

If you're not a reader, like I am, just mess around with different settings. Go outside one day, and just take pictures of random things. Flowers, Grass, your parent's car, anything. Just something for you to be able to be able to understand what your camera is capable of.

And now that I think about it, I'm not sure my post is relevant. BUT OH WELL.  ;D ;D ::) ::)
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

WrongMain

• Brakeman
  • Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »
Both Black Cavalier & InPrinter are right.  When it comes to action photography, shutter speed is your main priority.  You need a shutter speed of at least 1/250, probably more like 1/320, to get a good non-blurred shot of a train moving at a decent speed.  You must manually set your shutter speed to achieve this.  Also, look at the photo taken with the Sony; the angle of the locomotive is almost that of a pan shot, just about guaranteeing blur in your picture.  If you can't get your shutter speed higher account of lack of light or other exposure issues, try adjusting the angle of the train coming towards you, moving more to a "heads on" shot.  A train coming right at you will stay in focus longer.  There's a term for it, but it's late and I'm getting old.... can't think of it right now.  (Probably never will!)  Good luck and stay with it.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day