Author Topic: Exploration Suggestions  (Read 1188 times)

DiscoverJustin

• Fireman
Exploration Suggestions
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:34:10 AM »
Looking to do some archeological exploration when the leaves fall here in a few weeks.  What would you consider to be the most interesting abandoned railroad sites in Indiana to walk/hike and why?

Caleb

• Superintendent
Re: Exploration Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Pennsy between Frankfort and Bringhurst. Not much of it is on private property also many bridges, cuts, and artifacts left behind. Recently yanked up (1992 or so) so not too overgrown.

big_amish

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:53:58 AM »
Former Army base at Kingsbury, It is a maze of active lines, abandoned intact lines, and hidden roadbeds and bridges. Part is an industrial park while other part is a state Fish and Wildlife Area. Easy access off US 35 just north of US 6 in La Porte County.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
Wow...this is a great one.  There are many good spots IN Indiana to go see.  More so I'd ask what's of interest.  Old engine terminals...interchange diamond towers or yards....

What part of the state or does it matter?

DiscoverJustin

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
Engine terminals and junctions with towers.  For instance, I went to Sheff 3 years ago in the summer, looking to get back there without vegetation growing.  I'm in Ft Wayne, so northern part of the state is best for me.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
Peru is interesting with 2 gone yards and 2 junction points.  The old Clover Leaf from Marion to Ohio state line. 
The old Erie too with several junction points.  Depends on how fsr you want to go.  You can drive 2 hrs and find lots across North and east Indiana. 

NSHuntingtonDistrict

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »
Huntington Co. has numerous bridges and a few signals left from the Erie.
Extra board livin'

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
You could check out the GR&I South of Decatur.  Easy access and within sight of US27 most of the way. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Zenithfan

• Fireman
  • Rail Fan, Model Railroader, Rail Photographer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
At Kingsbury, can we walk and photograph the abandoned lines without anyone caring? And are they in the Wildlife Area?  Anything else you can tell us about the abandoned lines there?
Thanks.
Zenithfan
In a perfect model railroading world the floor would be level, the walls would be square, and the lumber wouldn't be warped.

big_amish

• Dispatcher
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:54:13 AM by big_amish »