Author Topic: Interurban Depot in Azalia still there  (Read 829 times)

Howard B.(Guest)

Interurban Depot in Azalia still there
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:06:37 PM »
A friend of mine and I took a bike ride through Azalia today.  I'd wanted to see where the Milwaukee Road went through town.
On the way into town, it really looked like there was an abandoned right of way - powerlines and phone lines seperated by 15 ft.  
Anyway, right at the southern edge of town, you can see a little brick building out in a field, right next to where the grade must be. Got a pic, but haven't pulled it off the camera yet.  Fun :-)

FWIW, the Milwaukee grade grossing is pretty apparent just south of town.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Interurban Depot in Azalia still there
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the update!  I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of it.

I went right by Azalia before Thanksgiving, but it was about 7pm so we didn't stop.  Maybe again someday...

BTW, Robert took some photos early this fall too, his photos are here: http://indiana.railfan.net/board/?num=1159885646

Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

H_B

• Brakeman
  • Cruzin'...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 03:56:50 PM »
Whoops, looked at the other thread.  Apparently it's the power substation.  Anyway, here's a pic.  Kindly forgive the presence of the bike in the picture.  Riding there makes it more interesting (well, at least to me), as I have more time to look at the landscape and try to pick out subtle marks.  
Winter, BTW, seems a better time, as the undergrowth is less.
First pic should be the I/R right of way, second should be the Milwaukee grade crossing just north of the elevators.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:47:06 PM by indrr »

Warren_Thompson

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
It is indeed a sub-station. There were similar structures on the former Union Traction/Indiana Railroad route from Indianapolis to Anderson to Muncie. In fact, one of them had a siding leading into the structure.

Perhaps the same architect was responsible [?].

H_B

• Brakeman
  • Cruzin'...

Warren_Thompson

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 04:41:34 PM »
According to Jerry Marlette's book on the Interstate, that Milwaukee Road trackage in southern Indiana was part of the easternmost portion of that railroad. This book also has a photo of the IPS and Milwaukee parallel abandoned trackage. (Kind of a sad sight ....)

robert_b1

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 09:56:41 PM »
According to Jerry Marlette's book on the Interstate, that Milwaukee Road trackage in southern Indiana was part of the easternmost portion of that railroad. This book also has a photo of the IPS and Milwaukee parallel abandoned trackage. (Kind of a sad sight ....)

If my memory serves me correctly, the Interstate Public Service (IPS) and Milwaukee Rd ran parallel to each other (IPS on west and north; Milwaukee on east and south) the whole section between Azalia and Seymour.