Author Topic: Yard Repeaters in Indiana? Obnoxious Brewer in Illinois?  (Read 1392 times)

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Yard Repeaters in Indiana? Obnoxious Brewer in Illinois?
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:02:23 PM »
Are there any railroad yard repeaters around here that anyone knows of (where the input freq is different than the output)?  Just curious.

I haven't found any FCC license data confirming any in Indiana, but I do hear switching operations sometimes with an obvious squelch tail.  Never any identification as to where they are coming from, just the standard "four cars, three cars, two cars, one more."  Totally oblivious to anything else but their switching operation, so obviously a yard channel.  Usually the scanner has moved on by the time I go downstairs and look at the readout, but I suspect it is channel 72.  From my location I suspect the obnoxious Brewer Yard in Danville, IL.

Lafayette Yardmaster yells at Brewer from time to time on 84 asking them to "turn their radio down."   An obvious candidate for some frequency changes would be the CSX once the FCC opens up some of the new split channels in 2013.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: Yard Repeaters in Indiana? Obnoxious Brewer in Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
Avon is running two on an output of 161.340 (Puller) and 160.650 (Car Dept)

INRD used to have FOUR ROAD REPEATERS..... 60 watts into a high antenna, boy those used to be nice for fanning. They changed them to a more standard dispatcher base setup.

For completeness sake there is also the Amtrak BG repeater, but it's up on the Railroads UHF band.

I have heard the CSX St Louis Line dispatch and the NS Marion branch dispatch get into a pissing match over tying up 161.070 before.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:23:31 PM by indyspy »
If in doubt, Notch it out!

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
I haven't found any FCC license data confirming any in Indiana, but I do hear switching operations sometimes with an obvious squelch tail.  Never any identification as to where they are coming from, just the standard "four cars, three cars, two cars, one more."  Totally oblivious to anything else but their switching operation, so obviously a yard channel.  Usually the scanner has moved on by the time I go downstairs and look at the readout, but I suspect it is channel 72.  From my location I suspect the obnoxious Brewer Yard in Danville, IL.

I seriously doubt that Brewer is doing anything on the IC road channel, much less running a repeater. If it's really coming in on 72, you're probably getting some excellent skip/ducting ... or there's a crew somewhere in the area jumping off to what they consider an "unused" frequency and conducting their business there.

It's not uncommon in this area to have BOTH road channels tied up with switching. Only the INRD seems to make a consistent effort to keep the road channel clear of switching chatter.

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
I have heard the CSX St Louis Line dispatch and the NS Marion branch dispatch get into a pissing match over tying up 161.070 before.

That arrangement has always baffled me. If NS gets a line, then they should bear the cost of getting the comms changed over.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
Avon is running two on an output of 161.340 (Puller) and 160.650 (Car Dept)

The puller set up isn't that easy.  They use 21/82.  21 to transmit, 82 to receive.  You'll have times where one side of that isn't functioning properly, the pullers can hear each other, but the base radios can't hear them and vice versa.  I believe this repeater for the puller and the car department is located near "Building 5".  The IC's main base antenna is located down at the west end of the yard, near Dan Jones road.  Working around that antenna, while the IC is transmitting, really bleeds over on any other channels.

I believe Marion Yard uses 58 for their switching operations, as I can easily hear them in the evenings and in the early mornings.  I know Anderson Yard uses it, as you can hear Avon in the early morning when working at Anderson.  Using 21 poses a problem, as that is what the UP Dispatcher in Chicago uses, so I can usually hear them talking almost every evening.  I think the CN uses it around St. Louis too, as I get skip from St. Louis from time to time too.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
Oh, and as far as Brewer Yard and Lafayette, both are on 84, and its probably what, 40 miles as the crow flies between the two points?  Lafayette and Brewer just have a strong base radio.  It is easy to hear Brewer at Crawfordsville and Linden on the train, where the terrain is the flattest and the distance between the two the shortest.  Lafayette sits in the Wabash Valley so you can't really hear them until you get up around Linden/Romney area.  The king of strong radios was Walbridge Yard in Toledo, OH, you could hear them on the B&O from Deshler almost all the way to Willard.  Usually died off around Republic.

Practice Safe CSX

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Yard Repeater in Lafayette
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:10:15 AM »
Apparently the input channel for that NS Lafayette repeater is 32, with an output on 72.  It must be just for the handhelds, as the yard office still can talk on 72 without the squelch tail when it feels like it (which is not real often).  Haven't figured out which yard its located at yet.  Apparently this is an unlicensed operation, unless they are covering themselves with a blanket license from some other location.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.