Author Topic: Pioneer Railcorpse...a postmortem  (Read 3485 times)

blue2golf

• Superintendent
Pioneer Railcorpse...a postmortem
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
As reported by Chris Brown, Indiana Southwestern Railroad, a.k.a. Pioneer Railcorpse, has begun pulling up what's left of it's stub to Poseyville and Cynthiana.  Here's a sample of of the carnage.

1.  Looking south from Boonville-New Harmony Road, ballast is scraped into a rough gravel road.  Flatbed takes a saturday break from the destruction.

2.  Rail is gone, ties are stacked.

3.  Looking north across Boonville-New Harmony toward Armstrong.  The crossing lights were lit one last time by the passage of the Chris Brown hopper just three weeks ago, now silent and dark.  Rail awaits harvesting.

In the coming months, I'll try to post some before and after shots. 

Note to Nathan:  I posted this thread here due to fact that this stretch of line has now become a remnant. 
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

blue2golf

• Superintendent
Re: Pioneer Railcorpse...a postmortem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
This photo is not quite an "after" shot, but it might as well be.  I think it's emblematic of what became of this line years before it's extinction.

(This is the old C&EI crossing at IN 165 at Poseyville, just south of the liquor store...The Red Wagon is just up the road from here.)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:32:59 PM by blue2golf »

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
I don't know if I should thank you or slap you for the pictures!  ???
Nice shots of the grotesque job the contractor is performing. I can't stand to see the dismemberment of the corpse. Ugghhh!  :o
Get those crossing flashers and put them in your back yard Blue.  ;D
Thanks and keep us posted.

pintopete

• Fireman
  • Engineer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
Back when the C&EI had the Mt. Vernon Branch, there were two jobs at Mt. Vernon, the day switcher that worked the industries around Mt. Vernon and the night switcher that worked the branch and the main line around Princeton and Patoka. The night job would interchange with the main at Princeton and the day job would interchange with the L&N at Mt. Vernon at the wye of the L&N main. There were many long nights on the Branch, especially for an engineer called from the extra board. God bless railroad retirement!

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »
Does anyone want to help me with those signs.Since that pimp scumbag ripped off our railroad,why shouldnt we take a reminder of  north Posey railroading.

Please..... :(
Dont put anything here that may upset a "mod".

Freightshaker

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
Im not scared
Authorized Personnel

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
Does anyone want to help me with those signs.Since that pimp scumbag ripped off our railroad,why shouldnt we take a reminder of  north Posey railroading.

Please..... :(

Im not scared

Looks like you got a volunteer A.h.   ;D

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »

Looks like you got a volunteer A.h.   ;D

Fantastic!
Any time you plan on being in Poseyville Freightshaker? Im riding with the sheriff today & even though he thinks Brinkman is human waste,I'd feel awkward trying to squeeze one in his Crown Vic or just making off with one in front of him in my truck.I dont think disrespecting his authority is a smart thing to do.He took me up to the Stewartsville driving range & they had a rail crossing sign up there that was taken from one of the crossings between Poseyville & Griffin back in '97 so it isnt like the crime of the century.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
Does anyone know how far they've gotten with pulling up the rail?  With the excellent weather we've been having, I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely gone all the way to Cynthiana by now. 

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
Does anyone know how far they've gotten with pulling up the rail?  With the excellent weather we've been having, I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely gone all the way to Cynthiana by now. 

blue buddy,the Cynthiana line is going to lose the current rails even if the Mt Vernon bypass is built but at least the current crossing of I64 at Poseyville will stay the same.

I'll try to get up there later this week but I cant promise I'll be happy about it.

I did get one tidbid-NS didnt just upgrade the Huntingburg=Evansville connector just because they wanted to look goog.Hmmmm

More as soon as I hear it.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
As the destruction continues the only thing I can offer is this......

COMING SOON TO A GRAVEYARD NEAR YOU.....PIONEER RAILCORPSE!

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
Back when the C&EI had the Mt. Vernon Branch, there were two jobs at Mt. Vernon, the day switcher that worked the industries around Mt. Vernon and the night switcher that worked the branch and the main line around Princeton and Patoka. The night job would interchange with the main at Princeton and the day job would interchange with the L&N at Mt. Vernon at the wye of the L&N main. There were many long nights on the Branch, especially for an engineer called from the extra board. God bless railroad retirement!

It would be great if EVWR/CSX/Vectren/Indiana Port Commission would rebuild that line whether they start at the Southwind Maritime Centre wye parallel to SR69 & veer off NE of Big Creek through Oliver or at SIGECO branch wye & plot a course from Wolf Rd.out bypassing both Wadesville/Blairsville/Parker Settlement.Either way,just do it!

Thanks pete for the fill-in that makes me totally nuts.I ALWAYS wanted to see a train between Poseyville & Mt Vernon & never got the opportunity.Consider those memories precious because they really are.It amazes me that with that landscape no one ever bothered to take a photo of a train on that line.Im sure someone has & they're locked up somewhere I cant get to. :'(

Do you remember the locomotives on that line? The switcher had to be a SW but did they run Geeps on it as transfer? Right now,CSX should kick itself in the butt (they wont because the collective head buried in there might be crushed) for letting that line go to hell & cutting it up for scrap.Had they reinvested in it right now they'd have an option for coal transfer that pays off because it would connect both Vectren & MAAPCO to Pataki & Alliance bypassing both Evansville & Belknap,saving fuel & keeping crew hours out of OT for the most part.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:14:33 PM by Appalling hauling »

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
I ALWAYS wanted to see a train between Poseyville & Mt Vernon & never got the opportunity.Consider those memories precious because they really are.

I well remember riding over the tracks at both Wadesville and Solitude in my momma's car.  I also remember waiting on trains at both crossings.  To my young eyes, they seemed to be passing at a good clip.  Then all at once, the tracks were gone.  At the time I did not care less, now I wish I had paid more attention.

ickysdad

• Brakeman
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »
 I know this is off topic but I can remember seeing a train go across the bridge over the Wabash north of Crossville back in the early 70's. My aunt moved over there to teach at Crossville High School then when it closed in 1987 she taught at Carmi-White County. I can also remember an occasional train rolling through Crossville when we were visiting her but alas even that's been pulled up.

It's out of state but I remember a swinging bridge at Livermore ,Kentucky but it's gone now too and I never got to see it work,the line North to Owensboro was ripped up in 1984. I remember going to a ballgame in Whitesville,Kentucky in the mid 70's and seeing a train cross an overhead bridge on Kentucky 69 ,a school mate snapped a picture and the rest of us made fun of her for it because we thought she should have saved her film for the game but now the line is gone and at least she has a snapshot of it's lost history since it was abandoned in 1982.

My father helped tear down the old Cannelton depot and we got to keep the sign that said "CANNELTON" till we had a fire in 1971. My mom had taken some pictures of dad working on it which he did right after getting off work from the Can-Tex just right on the other side of the floodwall but again we lost almost all our pictures.

We all have memories that somehow we wished we had or could have saved and the memories from those pictures aren't just of the railroads but people whom we are close to and of a different time in our lives.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
I know this is off topic but I can remember seeing a train go across the bridge over the Wabash north of Crossville back in the early 70's. My aunt moved over there to teach at Crossville High School then when it closed in 1987 she taught at Carmi-White County. I can also remember an occasional train rolling through Crossville when we were visiting her but alas even that's been pulled up.

I remember trains rolling through Crossville as well.  The used to pass over Illinois Route 1 via a truss.  I also remember passing trains between Crossville and Carmi while driving down Route 1.  Now, like you said, all gone. 

We all have memories that somehow we wished we had or could have saved and the memories from those pictures aren't just of the railroads but people whom we are close to and of a different time in our lives.

Well said.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 02:43:43 AM »
I believe the folks up in Poseyville ought to help themselves to the 165 crossing lights.It might make for a merrier christmas.

I just dont get this,I really dont.You'd think a pimp who runs a brothel ought to have a clue how a railroad works-Time is money-Come & go.If he'd used his business skills to their fullest,there would be crews running trains night & day through the area via new links such as the former Big 4 line north of Cynthiana.But instead,he used it like he did one of his playhouses-He came & went.The sickening thing is the line was dying.And he did it to death.Necrophiliac!

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »
I believe the folks up in Poseyville ought to help themselves to the 165 crossing lights.It might make for a merrier christmas.

I just dont get this,I really dont.You'd think a pimp who runs a brothel ought to have a clue how a railroad works-Time is money-Come & go.If he'd used his business skills to their fullest,there would be crews running trains night & day through the area via new links such as the former Big 4 line north of Cynthiana.But instead,he used it like he did one of his playhouses-He came & went.The sickening thing is the line was dying.And he did it to death.Necrophiliac!

To turn that line into a going concern would've burnt out both of his brain cells.  Much easier for him to sell it to the scrap dealer.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
Freightshaker mentioned the piles of rails at the old Busler's on US41.  Here they are...