Author Topic: CIND Operations  (Read 259070 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: CIND Operations
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
IORY 4071 eastbound through Batesville with a slug of empty coal cars at 10:15 PM.  Meanwhile, roughly 10 miles away, CSXT X203-15 toils away clearing auto racks from Milan Siding.   Wow, 2 trains in Ripley County simultaneously.  Bring on Inprinter's SE Indiana Railfest!   :P
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
It's not a hot spot, it's a freakin' supernova!

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
I'll bet the "foamers" will be invading the County now for sure. Scrappy, you better alert local LE down there. ;D

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »
Local trying to work it's way west tonight - running into debris problems around Batesville from a strong little thunderstorm (that also heavily damaged the Big 4 Building in Batesville - see Historic Photo's Section).  Crossing lights at SR 129 has damage, and several trees are down.

Once the local gets all the Sunman and storage work done, it sound as if Honda may get 4 pulls this week.  Understanding is that daily Tuesday through Saturday service to Honda will commence first week of November, likely a 2PM on duty time at Valley Jct.  Also, on Sunday November 6, Cincinnati Railway will be running a Cincinnati-Greensburg round trip.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »
Local trying to work it's way west tonight - running into debris problems around Batesville from a strong little thunderstorm (that also heavily damaged the Big 4 Building in Batesville - see Historic Photo's Section).  Crossing lights at SR 129 has damage, and several trees are down.

Once the local gets all the Sunman and storage work done, it sound as if Honda may get 4 pulls this week.  Understanding is that daily Tuesday through Saturday service to Honda will commence first week of November, likely a 2PM on duty time at Valley Jct.  Also, on Sunday November 6, Cincinnati Railway will be running a Cincinnati-Greensburg round trip.

Going to order my ticket.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »
Heads up for anyone out this evening.  Honda job westbound through Batesville at 630 with around half a dozen tankers for Next Gen.  Would expect they'll have a couple dozen or more Honda's to pull.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
Westbound local through Batesville at 515 PM.  Has 4 in/ 4 Out on storage cut behind Honda.  Believe they then plan on shoving the 40 or so storage cars out past Adams toward "pipeyard" so that main behind Honda will be clear and all 3 crossovers accessible.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
2nd westbound through Batesville shortly after 8.  I missed it and had to chase it to west of New Point.  Empty rack train.  So all 3 CIND horses in Greensburg tonight.  Just a little foreshadowing of what will be starting in November when service to Honda goes daily.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:39:49 PM by scraphauler »

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
Caught the local at Sunman yesterday heading west with CIND5000 and 11 cars (10 gons and one covered hopper) and followed him to Honda where he set out 4 and picked up 4 as Scraphauler mentioned.  He ran around the 11 cars and then went into Greensburg to pickup 7 empty tank cars, then pushed the train back out to Honda where he waited for the westbound empty rack train (CIND 5008 & one of the IORY tunnel motors).  After it arrived all three locomotives were coupled together and headed east with the remaining 18 cars.  Looked like 4 cars were ready to be pulled from the east end of Sunman siding and I am assuming that is where the other 7 gons were going.  No push west of Honda.
Scraphauler - I caught the empty rack train at New Point thanks to a "heads up" from someone (you know).  Must have just missed you.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »
After it arrived all three locomotives were coupled together and headed east with the remaining 18 cars.  Looked like 4 cars were ready to be pulled from the east end of Sunman siding and I am assuming that is where the other 7 gons were going.  

With the empty rack train due behind him, local didn't work Sunman on way west which is normal practice.  Generally they do all the track 1 work on their way west so they don't tie up SR 101 in Sunman for long periods of time, and only need to do whatever track 2 work is needed on their way east.  Ended up working both track 1 and track 2 at Sunman on way east, spotting 7 from train - 6 to track 1 and 1 to track 2, pulled 4 outbound from track 1 and 3 outbound from track 2, and respotted 2 cars from track 1 to track 2.  Probably had all 4 crossings in Sunman tied up for some time as they had to pull nearly all 53 cars out of track 1 while switching.  

Virtually all (if not all) of last nights empty rack train will be loaded today and tomorrow, shipping out tomorrow evening.  Should be a couple more empty trains enroute.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
The two empty rack trains reported on the Massive Topics Greensburg to Shelbyville thread is really one LARGE empty train that stalled on hill and had to double to Greensburg.  Those slippery GP 50s where no match for wet rail, even with the CSCD 6637 lending its support.  Renzenberger picked crew up in Batesville shortly before 6 this evening, leaving the 5000/5008/6637 purculating away at the Winding Way grade crossing in front of Hillendale (sure the neighbors love that!)  I imagine the 9PM crew will come up and get the power this evening.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »
Expect CIND to be busy (well, by CIND standards) tonight/Saturday.  Have enough empty racks on hand at east end of railroad to run 2 if not 3 trains, plus Honda will have a healthy pull on Saturday and then there's local work to be done at Greensburg and Sunman.  As of 3PM, sitting at the east end of the railroad is a healthy train of over 10000 ft stretching from the west end of the Wall Track at Oklahoma to Idaho Street- in old CR/PC terms, that would be CP WEST OAK to WADE.  Believe this monster train has 109 tri levels and had IORY 4084 tied to it to keep some air on it.   At Valley Jct, there is another slug of empties - looked like the Old Main was better than 3/4 full, so that would be roughy 30 more.  Roughly 140 racks to spot, probably 50-60 to pull, tankers in and out at Next Gen, half dozen in, half dozen out at Sunman, and another dozen plus at Valley to go to storage.  That ought to keep em busy.

Also spied at Valley was a dead CIND 5008 waiting to be dragged to McCullough.  It apparently gave up the ghost on the 80+ car train that had to double the hill on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, the Valley to McCullough yard transfer can't go anywhere until the 109 racks move.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:54:16 PM by scraphauler »

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
Expect CIND to be busy (well, by CIND standards) tonight/Saturday.  Have enough empty racks on hand at east end of railroad to run 2 if not 3 trains, plus Honda will have a healthy pull on Saturday and local theres local work to be done at Greensburg and Sunman.  As of 3PM, sitting at the east end of the railroad is a healthy train of over 10000 ft stretching from the west end of the Wall Track at Oklahoma to Idaho Street- in old CR/PC terms, that would be CP WEST OAK to WADE.  Believe this monster train has 109 tri levels and had IORY 4084 tied to it to keep some air on it.   At Valley Jct, there is another slug of empties - looked like the Old Main was better than 3/4 full, so that would be roughy 30 more.  Roughly 140 racks to spot, probably 50-60 to pull, tankers in and out at Next Gen, half dozen in, half dozen out at Sunman, and another dozen plus at Valley to go to storage.  That ought to keep em busy.

Also spied at Valley was a dead CIND 5008 waiting to be dragged to McCullough.  It apparently gave up the ghost on the 80+ car train that had to double the hill on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, the Valley to McCullough yard transfer can't go anywhere until the 109 racks move.

So, with 5008 out of the picture are they going to triple or quad pull the loads of racks up the hill?  ;D

INprinter

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
SCRAP!!!  whatever they hauled through the CIND on Sat night took out our fiber optic line over the rail and shut down the entire Greensburg Police Communications at 6:18 pm. ETC came out and ran another line and got us back about 8-9pm. Lost all phones and 911 and internet on that fiber. Everything was routed to the county dispatch.
Any idea what was higher that every car thats been through there for the past several years? and will it go again when it comes back out???

dan

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:58 PM »
Shouldn't have been anything higher than normal.  And if it happened Saturday evening, it would have been the outbound loaded train - the empty 109 car train ran in two cuts Saturday morning, loads ran out in afternoon/evening, so if it was something too tall, it would have got in on the way in a few days earlier.  My guess would be there was something that caused the cable to sag allowing the train to snag it vs. something being taller than normal on the train.

Saw ETC working Sunday afternoon - had a bucket truck working in front of the PD, and another one down by Main Street intersection.  Cable had an awful lot of sag in it at that time (doubt it would clear a train), and the had one of their little orange cones on track under it.  I assume they got it pulled tight and out of the way before the combined local/racks from Valley showed up later in the afternoon, as I haven't heard of any incident.   

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
well our IT guy and I discussed it by cell tx as we were trying to get things working, he was at the PD when it happened, saw the train but nothng unusual, autoracks... and it wasnt the first one that did it, it was going by and then.. BAM!. something must have been on top of a car..??
Whats the reccommneded height for crossover lines?  I guessed 20'  maybe more?
That fiber line has been there since before Honda, goes from a good wooden pole on north side to our radio tower i think. I forgot to look yesterday when I was there to see whats different. they must have put up a temp and then a permanant sunday.

The reason its ran over is becase ETC has no fiber south of the tracks, therefore no customers, but they ran that and then fiber from GPD to the Sheriffs dept and they have all phones, 911 and internet on that loop.

Its in the plan to do something more protective of that in the near future.  Id say dig by the rr wont let them maybe.

As Kesha says...  Honda shut  us down down, Honda shut us down TIC TOK ( ok it's supposed to be the po po shut us down but...)

thanks
dan

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »
... and it wasnt the first one that did it, it was going by and then.. BAM!. something must have been on top of a car..??

Didn't have any of your fine "locals" doing a little train surfing did you?   :P  Just curious, did incident get reported to the RailAmerica's Emergency Contact number after it happened so they could investigate?  I'm sure they would have liked to known about it to prevent further damage (to either other overhead obstructions or to the railcar or Civics therein)

I don't recall what clearance CIND requires for an overhead obstruction - my guess would be at least 22'.  The typical Plate J autorack running into Honda is 19' tall above top of rail.  Plate K racks (such as the Automax, which Honda has, but has not used at Greensburg) are 20' 3"

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
there was no reporting to anyone, no phones, no 911.. they were scurrying to get that going and it was late into the evening and probably never crossed their minds. I might do an after action dig on the info and get it to them. Never thought about the "surfers"...

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
Scrappy,

Saw someone in white p/u truck checking out the hopper cars at Progress Road just a short while ago. Are these getting ready to move back to Honda or all the way out?

INprinter

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:20 PM »
Scrappy,

Saw someone in white p/u truck checking out the hopper cars at Progress Road just a short while ago. Are these getting ready to move back to Honda or all the way out?

INprinter

Lot of "tire kickers" out there, no buyers yet.  Nothing more than yet another inspector looking at them.   Market has come back strong enough that I think these should find a home in the next few months.  You'll know they are getting ready to move when you see people working on them and changing the reporting marks.  I know of no plan by CIND to move them just for the fun of it, nor have I heard of any plans to evict the storage cars and resume service west of Honda.  Sorry.