Author Topic: CIND Operations  (Read 259069 times)

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
Re: CIND Operations
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59:30 PM »
Rare (and soon to be VERY rare) daylight move to Greensburg today.  7AM crew doing a little switching at Sunman then going to switch out and rearrange the 96 cars parked behind Honda, getting 60 of them lined up for outbound shipment in next week or so.

All indications are new service schedule will go into effect Sunday 8/7.  West of Valley Jct is going to become strictly a nocturnal adventure.  Will be a crew on duty at 9PM Valley Jct 7 days per week.  On Sunday the will go west, doing all Sunman work, storage car work, and local Greensburg work.  On Monday/Wednesday/Friday, crew will work Anchor Glass in Greendale and Lawrenceburg.  On Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, they will go west, spotting any inbound loads at Greensburg local customers, then pull Honda.  Every effort will be made to try to handle empty trains to Honda with the regularly scheduled T-Th-Sat train, but when that is not practical, it will run as an extra.

Scrappy,

Guess I'm going to have to study up on taking nighttime pictures from now on. Oh boy, another new learning experience. Just don't understand why they would want to do all that switching at night when they could do it in the daylight, specially in the wintertime.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »
Transfer jobs in the Cincy area work during the daylight. Pulling Honda at night allows them to take what Road & Rail loaded that day versus it sitting another 24 hours.

Civic Sedan took it on the chin from Consumer Reports as they dropped it from their Recommended Buy list.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer-reports-says-redesigned-honda-civic-scores-too-low-to-be-recommended.html

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
Transfer jobs in the Cincy area work during the daylight. Pulling Honda at night allows them to take what Road & Rail loaded that day versus it sitting another 24 hours.

Civic Sedan took it on the chin from Consumer Reports as they dropped it from their Recommended Buy list.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer-reports-says-redesigned-honda-civic-scores-too-low-to-be-recommended.html

I see.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
I've got a good friend that sometimes works the ramp at Marysville and East Liberty for CSX. Honda requested a late afternoon-evening pull for both.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
New operating schedule goes into effect Sunday as previously laid out - 7 day per week job on at 9PM, working Lawrenceburg on M,W, and F, Greensburg on Sun, Tues, Thurs, and Sat.   Nocturnal schedule for Greensburg end will remain until such time the Greensburg and Lawrneceburg jobs split apart, as Lawrenceburg requires a night time switch (customer requirement).  This new job will now share power/relieve/be relieved by the 7AM job that operates to McCullough and back.

Speaking of power, CIND line up now consists of CIND 5000, CIND 5008, and IORY 4071.  CIND will be getting 2 BRAND NEW engines in the form of a couple new genset units, which will be in same paint as the 5000/5008.   Units are expected sometime late 4th quarter, or 1st quarter next year last I heard.   

Hearing that a "Sperry Car" will be patrolling the CIND this coming week.  I would assume it's really a Sperry hi-rail truck, not a actual Sperry car (or a FRA car).  Imagine Atlas will be busy on line following the slow order car/trucks visit.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
What happed to 5003?
The gates are going down and the people are starting to frown.

18down, 2 to go.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »
5003 is getting beat to death on the I&O.

So will the CIND go down to just the 2 gensets and 5000 and 5008 scraphauler? We wouldn't want them to have too much motive power would we? ::)

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »
That should be plenty of power since they run downhill in both directions. ;D

Inprinter

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
5003 is getting beat to death on the I&O.

So will the CIND go down to just the 2 gensets and 5000 and 5008 scraphauler? We wouldn't want them to have too much motive power would we? ::)

Let's see, two new gensets probably will mean that they should be able to just run those two, a windup toy, and a pump carts, and get rid of both the 50's.

My guess is they'll stay at 5 units, maybe even go to 6 if traffic is heavy enough.  Last I heard, they where budgeted at 5 units, but only operating 3.  Once Honda goes daily, they'll need all 5, and if any other new traffic comes along, they'll probably need a 6th
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

IORY_fan

• Conductor
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
Wonder what the other 2 unit CIND would use?!?! I know I&O doesn't really have extra power for CIND to even use.... only power stored is PIR 2342 and its still OOS at McCoullugh(IORY 5006 is also stored but it doesnt really count as a unit as its basically a shell) and IORY 9400 is still down with i believe traction motor problems. CIND swap CSCD 6637 for 4071 Im guessing?

Wish RailAmerica would bring back IORY 4033, 4035, & 4050 which are currently stored on the Kiamichi in Oklahoma! ARGH

IORY_fan
"Dont worry, I'm pullin for ya were all in this together"

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 12:45:54 AM »
Wonder what the other 2 unit CIND would use?!?! I know I&O doesn't really have extra power for CIND to even use.... only power stored is PIR 2342 and its still OOS at McCoullugh(IORY 5006 is also stored but it doesnt really count as a unit as its basically a shell) and IORY 9400 is still down with i believe traction motor problems. CIND swap CSCD 6637 for 4071 Im guessing?

Wish RailAmerica would bring back IORY 4033, 4035, & 4050 which are currently stored on the Kiamichi in Oklahoma! ARGH

IORY_fan

I THINK the other two units assigned to CIND are the CIND 5003 (which CIND has leased to IORY) and the PIR 2342.    6637 was swapped for the 4071 on Thursday so McCullough would have anogher 4 axle for local use up there.  Of course, this now means a GP 50 has to tip toe to Brookville now.

If you recall, the 5006 is slated to loose more pieces.  It's nose (and maybe cab) will eventually end up on the IORY 407? (The one with the buggered up primer nose)

Modeling idea for you Mr IORY fan.  If you get a chance in next day or two, run down to Idaho Street.  Our latest purchase of old mill gondolas are parked down and a crew is working this weekend slapping DJTX reporting marks and logos on them.  Looks like most of these buckets trace their origins to UP/SP/CNW.   While most are generic black, there is at least one old mineral red with SOUTHERN PACIFIC block lettering still peaking through, a more recent SP repaint with speed lettering, and I think there an old green CNW in there too.  Those would like nice behind your collection of IORY/CIND power

IORY_fan

• Conductor
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
Yeah I heard the nose on 4071 is basically falling apart....

Thanks for the heads up Scrap, if i get a chance to get over there I will. They high or low sides gons? I am always looking for more scarp cars to model!

IORY_fan

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
52' low sides - mix of 4 1/2' and 5' sides.  Becoming DJTX 321001 through DJTX 321021.  Also a couple old 1970 build Thrall Highsides down there becoming DJJX 881700, DJJX 881800 series cars, and a few left over NDYX cars becoming DJTX or GNDX marks.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
Should be a daylite run to Greensburg happening this afternoon.  66 of the 102 cars stored behind Honda have been ordered out and back into service (coal, sand, and finished steel depending on car). Job that pulls Honda plans on doubling over and grabbing a slug of these 66 (however many they can handle depending on what they have for power, how many Honda loads they have. etc). 

DWX9929

• Engineer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
Just wondering, does CIND handle loads out of Cincinnati Incorporated on Kilby Road? Do they ever ship by rail? Been by there millions of times and have never seen anything. Would make an excellent photo.
"Governments first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."- Ronald Reagan

IORY_fan

• Conductor
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
Scrap has better insight but, technically no CIND does not service Cincinnati Incorporated but the IORY has in the past, Cincinnati Inc. is on the I&O's Brookville Line which breaks off at the CIND's valley Jct Yard. I&O uses whatever 4 axle power(mainly a CIND GP50) CIND has available when the Brookville crew show up at Valley Jct.

IORY_fan

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
I don't think Cincinnati Inc has done anything by rail since early 2000's if not late 1990's.  I know in the mid 90's, they got quite a few loads of over sized steel plate in by rail, and in late 90's shipped a machine tool out on an 8 axle depressed center.  All indications are that they still pay to maintain the switch off the "main". they keep the weeds sprayed, and I've seen a signal maintainer working on the crossing lights on Kilby Road before, so it would appear that the track is still there ready to be used should they ever need it.  Heard some rumblings a couple months ago that something might be going to ship out again,  but I have heard or seen anything since. 

The track goes though the one main assembly building and comes out on backside of property.  There are a couple flat cars parked back there that they use as intra-plant cars and every once in a blue moon you will see they have moved.

CIND Honda job tonight had 25 out of Honda - guess they decided that's all they wanted to do with just 1 unit as they had no coal cars from storage.  I would expect an extra move up sometime in next day or two to grab the 47 hoppers and 19 gons.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 11:45:30 PM »
So, what's happening with the Progress Road group? I check them out every once in awhile. Is that short string still sitting just West of the old pipe field?

Inprinter

DWX9929

• Engineer
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »
I don't think Cincinnati Inc has done anything by rail since early 2000's if not late 1990's.  I know in the mid 90's, they got quite a few loads of over sized steel plate in by rail, and in late 90's shipped a machine tool out on an 8 axle depressed center.  All indications are that they still pay to maintain the switch off the "main". they keep the weeds sprayed, and I've seen a signal maintainer working on the crossing lights on Kilby Road before, so it would appear that the track is still there ready to be used should they ever need it.  Heard some rumblings a couple months ago that something might be going to ship out again,  but I have heard or seen anything since. 

The track goes though the one main assembly building and comes out on backside of property.  There are a couple flat cars parked back there that they use as intra-plant cars and every once in a blue moon you will see they have moved.

CIND Honda job tonight had 25 out of Honda - guess they decided that's all they wanted to do with just 1 unit as they had no coal cars from storage.  I would expect an extra move up sometime in next day or two to grab the 47 hoppers and 19 gons.

Thanks for the info. I have been in there several times (although not recently) and the continued maintinence does not suprise me as that place is a first class operation.
"Governments first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."- Ronald Reagan

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »
So, what's happening with the Progress Road group? I check them out every once in awhile. Is that short string still sitting just West of the old pipe field?

Inprinter

Nothing new on that aluminum set.  That car type is in demand right now, but the car owner of that set (not us, they just have our logo on them as we've managed them) just has these priced wrong.  There's been several inspections made on the set over the past couple months and I THINK that soon or later the car owner will cut their losses and put these into service.  My guess is they'll move in the next 90 days or so.  And yes, 15 of these cars are still sitting just west of old pipe yard (with 92 at Progress Parkway and 2 mixed in cut behind Honda). 

The left over 36 cars behind Honda will PROBABLY be shoved out to old pipe yard area when they dig the 66 outbound out.  As they prepare to go to daily service to Honda in the next 90 days, they've decided they will want to keep the main behind Honda clear so that they can utilize any of the 3 crossovers as needed.  So they days of our inventory being parked in an easily accessible area that you can drive next to on an improved access road are coming to a close and we'll have to start schlepping through the weeds and trees on the west end again.  Oh well.