Author Topic: CIND Operations  (Read 259071 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
CIND Operations
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
I figured I would start a new thread since last one is so long.

Heads up Greensburg.  Westound through Batesville around 330.  Assume he is headed after the load Honda train sitting behind Honda.  Kinda a rare move for a Sunday
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

IORY_fan

• Conductor
Re: CIND Operations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
Any idea of the power Scrap? I know CSCD 6637 & CIND 5000 were the only power there last weekend & IORY/CEFX 9500 is back on I&O so guessing 5008 & 5000?

BTW, you get the email I sent you?

IORY_fan
"Dont worry, I'm pullin for ya were all in this together"

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
Didn't catch the power- I was cutting the grass when it came through with the empty train.  I was told power came back lite, so I guess the train sitting next to the hoppers wasn't really loaded or isn't released yet.

Got your pics- must say you do good work.  Was going to post some smart a$$ responce on the other board about life imitating art, but I never got around to it.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »
I figured I would start a new thread since last one is so long.

Heads up Greensburg.  Westound through Batesville around 330.  Assume he is headed after the load Honda train sitting behind Honda.  Kinda a rare move for a Sunday

I think it only fitting that you would be the originator on the "CIND Operations" thread. ;D

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »
Heads up for any night owls.  5000 & 5008 engine light through Batesville westbound at 2330.  Current nocturnal schedule makes it difficult to catch anything out this way now, however I did catch the eastbound local at 0600 this morning, and the normal McCullough turn crew ran 4 hot tankers up to Greensburg during day on Tuesday.  Should get back to a more normal schedule as Honda ramps up, and should  see 7 day a week service, with 2 each way 1 or 2 days per week once Honda second shift fires up later this fall.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
Scrappy,

What's the current Honda schedule, loaded racks to Cincinnati?

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »
Right now it's pretty much as needed.   Schedule is supposed to be a 2100 Sunday - Thursday job that works Lawrenceburg on S, T, and TH, Greensburg Local on Monday, and combined Greensburg Local/Honda pull on Wednesday, with a second Honda pull taking place with extra board sometime over weekend, and empty trains handled off extra board as needed.  However, Honda has had some vacation/down time, CIND has had crew vacations etc., so it has not really worked out that way.  For example, this week there was a 0700 local to Greensburg on Tuesday, a 2100 local to Greensburg on Wednesday, and a 2100 Honda job on Thursday.

Honda should be back to 100% one shift production around the first of August.  I would not too surprised to see the reestablishment of the 1600 Tuesday-Friday, 1300 Saturday job, with local switching on Wednesday and Friday, and Honda pulls on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, with empty trains continuing to be held down by the extra board.

Monday 10/24/11 has been announced as the first day of 2 shift production at Honda.  Once 2 shift production starts, Honda will be getting a daily Tuesday through Saturday pull.  This will also result in a daily empty rack train.  Not sure how it will all work out, but I get the idea that they may go back to a Greensburg based crew handling Greensburg to Valley and a Valley based crew handling Valley to Cincinnati.  Ideally, they would be they would swap trains at Valley, so Greensburg based crew would go down with loaded train and usually return with empty train 5 days a week.  Sunday and Monday would probably be the catch up days to get a stray empty train up and provide one day of local service.  On other days local service would be needed, you would end up with two train each way on that day.

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
Second shift production #s will start out very low and slowly ramp up as the associated "get up to speed"; will probably take 2 months or so, maybe longer.  Hey, it IS happening though!!  :)

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »
Scraphauler,

Ok, so once the Honda 2 shift operation is in full swing and they are crewing trains in both directions with empties and full loads, will there be some new power added to the roster? If so, would this be "new" power or just pulled from some other location?

Inprinter

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »
Yes, there will be additional power added.  Not alot stored on CIND/IORY/CFE that can be called up, so "new" power will come from somewhere.  A couple months back, I was involved in brokering some storage space on RailAmerica to a financial institution who had several dozen SD40-2s to store.  These units are units that where built new for and spent their entire careers on UP.  UP decided to not renew lease on units, choosing to strike them from roster and return to bank.  I know RailAmeica had expressed  an interest in picking up a dozen or so of these units.   If those ex UP units would come over to this property or go to another RA property, freeing up units there is anybody's guess.

They are also adding people.  Right now, the job that works 9pm Sunday-Thursday has been running with a 3 man crew so the normal conductor can get some throttle time for engineer school.

arobb00 - do you work for Honda or One Solution?  Just curious.  I noticed One Solution is adding 191 jobs in addition to the 1000 Honda is adding.  Hearing a second product line is in the offing for Greensburg - either the Civic Coupe and/or a new small sporty Acura.  Anything you are free to share?

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
A couple months back, I was involved in brokering some storage space on RailAmerica to a financial institution who had several dozen SD40-2s to store.  These units are units that where built new for and spent their entire careers on UP.  UP decided to not renew lease on units, choosing to strike them from roster and return to bank.  I know RailAmeica had expressed  an interest in picking up a dozen or so of these units.   If those ex UP units would come over to this property or go to another RA property, freeing up units there is anybody's guess.
Have paint, will travel.  ;D
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
CIND 5000 engine lite throuh Batesville at 0855 for any of out out and about in Greensburgland

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
Scrap, I work for One Solution, in the IT dept.   Heard the same things... they are adding a second model but have not announced what it is yet even to our upper management. Accura and Fit are the two rumors I have heard most.  I was told that our line is desinged to handle any vehicle in the current Honda lineup except the CRV which is too wide to ride the conveyor system iirc. Civic Coupe sounds logical; as would the Civic Hybrid.   Have RoadRail decided to hire or did i miss it?  kind of suprised how little they pay considering how dangerous the job can be.  9/hr??

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
I think Road & Rail has been hiring all along, but not sure.  As for their pay, that is to be expected.  Honda bid out switching services to lowest bidder.   R&R beat out Railserve, RailAmerica, and Watco, plus there may have been other bidders.  Anytime you lowball Watco you know you have paper thin margins- I swear WATCO stands for We Are The Cheapest Outfit.  (I deal with a couple of their shops and shortlines on a regular basis - do good enough work but man it seems bare bones)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »
Honda goes back to 3 day per week pull beginning week of 8/1.  It will probably take a week or two for new schedule to thrash out, as existing jobs will likely have to be abolished and rebid.  My guess is we'll see return of the Tuesday and Thursday evening, Saturday afternoon pulls. 

Should be a loaded pull tomorrow (7/30) morning, and a local Monday evening.

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
Are they still running at night because of track work/crossing work during the day?  If so, where are they working?  Did they ever start Hillendale crossing? 

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
Job running at night right now because  assignment is Sunday thru Thurs, working LDI on Sunday, Tues, And Thurs, Greensburg local on Monday, Honda on Wednesday, and LDI wants nightime switch.   With Honda now needing 3 day service, most likely scenario is return of a Tuesday thru Saturday afternoon job pulling Honda Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and local on Wednesday and Friday.  But they have go adjust crew assignments, power, etc first.

Only track work still going on is Osmoses wrapping up bridge work on each side of Valley and over Tanners Creek.  Everyone else is over on IORY.   No other crossing touched (yet), no crossing signal work started.  Surface gang is supposed go return and finish hill later this summer or fall, and RUMOR is they may throw in a few more ties before they go to daily Honda service (probably around first of year or shortly thereafter).

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
luckily no trains today or they would have encountered a body. It should be cleared up now. 4 mi east of Greensburg. As usual, I cant say much...probably be in the news later on..dan

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
Re: CIND Operations- THE DEAD BODY STORY
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »
WRBI Local News
Pharmacy Robbery Ends In Fatality

A man robbed a CVS store in Greensburg for drugs and was later found dead.

Greensburg Police Department reported they received a 911 call from the CVS store on N. Lincoln Street of a robbery Thursday night at 10 p.m. A man told the pharmacist he had a gun, did not want to hurt anyone but wanted oxycontin. The pharmacist complied and the man left. No vehicle was observed leaving the area.

At 4 a.m. Friday the Barthlomew County Sheriff’s Department contacted the Greensburg police about a stolen vehicle from a Greensburg address. The suspect in the vehicle was Benjamin C. Anderson. At 10:15 a.m. the sheriff’s department received a call of an abandoned vehicle at SR 46 and CR 400E. They found evidence in the car from the CVS robbery, and matched the description of the vehicle the Barthlomew County sheriff had called about.

Friday afternoon a call came in that of a deceased man along the railroad tracks near SR 46 and County Road 350 E. The man was identified as Anderson. Cause of death is pending the toxicology reports. Evidence on Anderson was also linked to the CVS robbery.

(AS YOU CAN SEE, I COULDN'T COMMENT MORE FRIDAY, UNTIL IT BROKE. DAN- GREENSBURG PD)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »
Rare (and soon to be VERY rare) daylight move to Greensburg today.  7AM crew doing a little switching at Sunman then going to switch out and rearrange the 96 cars parked behind Honda, getting 60 of them lined up for outbound shipment in next week or so.

All indications are new service schedule will go into effect Sunday 8/7.  West of Valley Jct is going to become strictly a nocturnal adventure.  Will be a crew on duty at 9PM Valley Jct 7 days per week.  On Sunday the will go west, doing all Sunman work, storage car work, and local Greensburg work.  On Monday/Wednesday/Friday, crew will work Anchor Glass in Greendale and Lawrenceburg.  On Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, they will go west, spotting any inbound loads at Greensburg local customers, then pull Honda.  Every effort will be made to try to handle empty trains to Honda with the regularly scheduled T-Th-Sat train, but when that is not practical, it will run as an extra.