Author Topic: Brewer Yard  (Read 918 times)

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Brewer Yard
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
We get Brewer pretty regularly, particularly at night and in the AM, which is a little aggrivating sometimes because the yardmaster talks over the closer-in stuff we are actually tuning in for.  That is over 60 miles for a base station, so wondering if they have something special going on, such as a taller tower, higher than normal power, or whatever.

Does seem like they are in a good location or something there for skip, maybe coming up the river or whatever.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Re: Brewer Yard
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:18 AM »
Arg, this wasn't supposed to be a new thread, sorry about that.  But maybe it will bring out some CEI fanatics.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
I'd imagine Brewer has a pretty strong base station, just that it can reach out to the locals that are based out of there.  Its nothing to hear it in Lafayette and on the Monon, but really the two lines are not that far apart at that point (35 miles). 

I know Garrett's Yard Office radio could be 'toned up' once upon a time.  Before the proliferation of cell phones, if a local had a question about a car, or needed to get a hold of a customer, they'd go through the Yardmaster, and you'd have to use the radio. 

I think Walbridge, OH wins the award for the strongest base station for a yardmaster's radio.  You'd routinely hear that thing all the way down in Columbus, OH.  You'd also hear it non-stop from Willard all the way to almost Defiance.  In comparison, the Willard Train Director's radio would only reach out to Scipio (MP 13) to talk to trains coming into the terminal.  Between the detectors every 15 miles, to F Tower, dispatcher communications, and trains calling signals, NW Ohio was almost constant chatter on the road channels.

Practice Safe CSX

TristateRailroader

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
Here on the Indiana Northeastern we pick up BNSF's East End Dispatcher quite regularly.  I think that desk only covers from Aurora to Union Ave. tower.  We share channel 66 with them.  I often wonder if they can hear us because our base station sits atop the Andersons grain elevator in Reading, Michigan.  The base of the elevator is at about 1,100 above sea level and the arial is about 100' above that!

CSX_CO, you are right about the yardmaster at Walbridge.  We hear him all the time on our channel 2 (86-86).  Though, sometimes I think it might also be Rougemere Yard in Dearborn, Michigan that we are hearing on 86.  Any insights?

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »
Wattage wise the INRD Towers on the Indianapolis Sub run 60watts into high antennas. They can be heard well off.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
I know it is irritating when you are on the job and have to listen to far off stuff coming in.  But from a fan listener standpoint, it makes life interesting!

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
Eh, sometimes it's a royal pain. It's really annoying to miss a called signal or a detector you really need to hear because Brewer is having a 10-minute conversation about FREDs and flags on the road channel.