Author Topic: Tipton Pizza Train  (Read 1713 times)

steve_wall

• Engineer
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Tipton Pizza Train
« on: October 15, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
Anybody heard of this, ridden it? I read about it today in the Indystar events calendar section.

mikado

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: Tipton Pizza Train
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »
Go to www.itm.org.
 The museum at Noblesville runs several different trips during the fall to different destinations. Not bad, resonably priced.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:11:46 PM »
Heard about it?  I am one of the two people that takes reservations for it.  People call the gift shop number - 317 776 7887 - and if we are there and not on the phone we take the reservation.  If we are not there or are on the phone the call goes to voice mail and we call back a day or so later.

The train carries 180 people to the Pizza Shack by the Track and after those seats are sold out (which they already are on the last two trains of the year and which they have been on every one of the previous 14 trips) we can sell another fifty or so seats to take people to Tipton where they need to find another place to eat.  We recommend Pizza King because they expect the riders and we always call them in advance to let them know approximately how many are coming.  Also, it is only four blocks from the train stop.

The Indiana Transportation Museum doesn't care where you eat - just that you ride the train and get back to the train in time to return to Noblesville.  $10 for anyone over 12 and $8 for ages 3 through 12.

Anything else you would like to know?

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 09:14:55 PM »
Whoops, sorry.  $12 for adults and $8 for kids on the Pizza Trains.  I also sell tickets for the Pumpkin Trains and those are $10 and $8.

steve_wall

• Engineer
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »
So, how did this come about?

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »
After 18 months of volunteering at ITM I'm afraid I don't know the origins of the Pizza Train.  I'll try to get Craig or one of the other long-time ITM people to come on here and tell about it.

I can say that another Tipton restaurant wants to get in on the action.  The owners called the Museum and asked that riders be sent their way.  In my notes for next year is a plan to visit other restaurants in Tipton before the train begins running again in April.  If they assure us that they will always be prepared for possible crowds on alternating Saturday nights I would be willing to sell every seat on the train.  All eight stainless coaches gives us a capacity of 630 seats but I wouldn't want to shock Tipton with that many people and no warning.

Next problem is that we can really only have passengers disembark from one vestibule when they arrive in Tipton.  However, we are looking into remedies for that problem.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:07:11 PM »
Learned a little more about the origins of the Pizza Train today.  Several years ago (six or seven or so - my source couldn't remember) several volunteers from ITM were driving around Tipton looking for possible destinations for more than annual train trips.  The Atlanta Express (now Weekend Express) had been running for a while but they wanted something that would take trains to the north end.  They hadn't really found anything but had stopped to eat at the Pizza Shack.  While eating in the small dining room up front they joked with the waitress or she with them about bringing a bunch of people by train to eat pizza.  Turned out that the restaurant had two huge rooms on the side that could seat a lot of people so talks with the owner began.  The result is sixteen trips a year taking people to Tipton to eat.

CHomko

• Engineer
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »
On a side but realted note...The track from Noblesvile to Tipton was rennovated in 2005 or so with grant money through the port authority.  Craig Presler told me that the ride is quite smooth and enjoyable.
Chris Homko

Monty(Guest)

Re: Tipton Pizza Train / Semaphore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 02:35:43 PM »
There is a semaphore located on the old IMC near Pizza Shack.  For you photographers, I have always wanted a good picture of the Pizza Train with the semaphore in it.

Monty