Author Topic: 1950's Pictures - Cincinnati Union Terminal  (Read 3093 times)

MrFSS

• Fireman
1950's Pictures - Cincinnati Union Terminal
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »
A few from Cincinnati.

I am an Administrator of Discuss Amtrak Trains

HoosierVirg

• President
Re: 1950's Pictures - Cincinnati Union Terminal
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
Wow, a thousand thanks, many a time I stood and watch those trains at CUT while I was getting on or off our little train to Peru, the National Limited was some train! CUT, my favorite railroad station, so glad the taxpayers of Hamilton County and Cincinnati stepped up and maintain it.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

INprinter

• The Working Man from Shelbyville!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
Yes, but they let NS tear down the concourse and put in the intermodal terminal. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but those shots only can exist in history now. None of those platforms exist anymore. At least they saved the priceless wall murals from the inside and put them in the airport terminal building.

Those are really great shots MrFSS. Just keep them coming. I grew up in Covington and went through CUT several times on Southern trains when I was a kid. If you have any of Southern passenger trains please post.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
Yes, but they let NS tear down the concourse and put in the intermodal terminal. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but those shots only can exist in history now.

As the saying goes
"Paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Yes, but they let NS tear down the concourse and put in the intermodal terminal. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but those shots only can exist in history now. None of those platforms exist anymore. At least they saved the priceless wall murals from the inside and put them in the airport terminal building.

Inprinter

Why would they keep the concourse, it has no use in modern rail transportation, Amtrak had two trains at the most running through Cincinnati, the price for the upkeep for CUT is shall we say quite high, it was a tradeoff and I stand by what I said, thank you residents of Cincinnati and Hamilton County for saving the main jewel of the Queen City. In the process it created a bunch of jobs.

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:53:57 AM »
Why would they keep the concourse, it has no use in modern rail transportation, Amtrak had two trains at the most running through Cincinnati, the price for the upkeep for CUT is shall we say quite high, it was a tradeoff and I stand by what I said, thank you residents of Cincinnati and Hamilton County for saving the main jewel of the Queen City. In the process it created a bunch of jobs.

Not really going to argue the point, you are right, it is useless as far as modern railroading and had to go in order to make the space produce some revenue. Just kind of sad to see those wonderful pictures and remember that from when I was a kid and now it's all gone. Yep, remarkable feat in that they saved the half rotunda area and Tower A and the wonderful driveway approach up to the front door with the gardens and fountains. Great that they have concentrated several museums into the building and the Railroad club in Tower A. I remember when that building was basically abandoned by the Railroads and it mostly became a homeless shelter of sorts. Lots of stuff disappeared from that building during that time and will never be recovered. Overall, though I think it turned out ok and they managed to salvage most of the important parts.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »
I know and agree about the loss inprinter, each time I go to CUT to ride the Cardinal the tugs to my heartstrings are so painful, but such is life, the taxpayers saved most of the good parts and the area serves a useful purpose now, I'm thankful we older folk were around when railroading was going through a very special time and we were there to experience it.

Go Reds!

storrs19

• President
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »
Awesome pictures indeed.  I really like the ones of that NYC Engine.  I don't remember ever seeing that paint scheme with the X on the front.  I made that one my desktop background.  As for Tower "A" I want that massive interlocking board to hang on my wall  8)
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

MrFSS

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
Awesome pictures indeed.  I really like the ones of that NYC Engine.  I don't remember ever seeing that paint scheme with the X on the front.  I made that one my desktop background.  As for Tower "A" I want that massive interlocking board to hang on my wall  8)

That was the NYC "X" train, the NYC answer to the PRR Aerotrain.

This what it looked like in a coach car.
I am an Administrator of Discuss Amtrak Trains

Wes Lewis

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
Does anyone possess or has anyone ever seen a good shot of the C&O bridge that spanned Gest Street Yard, the Southern yard in Cincinnati?  I was very surprised to learn that this bridge had once existed when I checked out the book CINCINNATI UNION TERMINAL.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0967612535?tag=frenchcreekco-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0967612535&adid=1JNPHH57CHK6F00DTC5K&

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 01:30:03 AM »
Wes, are you talking about the C&O of Indiana bridge which came down from Western Hills? The picture is toward the end of the book at the top of the right hand page. That is a neat book because of the great pictures of CUT in it, got mine at the bookstore at CUT. At the end of the book is a couple of pictures of some tains hauling fill dirt down from Bald Knob for the construction of CUT, my Dad was a fireman on some of those trains.

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:22:49 AM »
Wes, are you talking about the C&O of Indiana bridge which came down from Western Hills? The picture is toward the end of the book at the top of the right hand page. That is a neat book because of the great pictures of CUT in it, got mine at the bookstore at CUT. At the end of the book is a couple of pictures of some tains hauling fill dirt down from Bald Knob for the construction of CUT, my Dad was a fireman on some of those trains.

Great book for CUT fans. That's me.

Inprinter

storrs19

• President
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 10:41:20 AM »
Are you looking for something like this?  We are on the Chessie Steam Special in 1977 heading south on the B&O getting ready to go to North Vernon.  The long trestle on the left is the C&O of Indiana coming downgrade into their yard.  This was taken near Liberty Street.  Photo by Jim Latimer.
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

Racecar52

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Guerrilla Railfan
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
Woa - those are the first color photos I'd seen of NYC's Xplorer set.  Inpired me to do a little more digging, never imagined they were yellow and green:

NYC 20 was a Baldwin RP210.  NH also orderd two.  They were powered by 1000hp Maybach V12's and operated truely as diesels rather than diesel electrics. 
More info here: http://www.columbusrailroads.com/nyc%20xplorer.htm
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
I can't say thanks enough for posting these fantastic images of 1950s era passenger railroading MrFSS!  Cincinnati Union Station was and remains a beautiful facility.  But for those of us who are too young to have seen it when a few dozen trains a day from multiple roads operated through the old train sheds, this is particularly outstanding.  My brief touches over 15 years ago with the last remnants of the L&N - by this time faded gray and yellow Geeps waiting for a trip through the CSX paint shop - make me forget that earlier L&N schemes were rather colorful, and that red nose logo was something!

I absolutely love the comparative Observation "architecture" shots between those two B&O trains.  Note how the Cincinnatian consist is obviously streamlined heavyweight equipment with the high roof profile.  I believe this was the daily train up to Detroit and return, along with the Ambassador.  Despite its slowly dwindling coffers, the B&O ran a good looking line of passenger trains.  

I knew the X train was yellow, but I thought it was yellow and black, not dark green.  You can see the obvious Baldwin styling in the cab....which was nearly identical to the cab design used on the Sharks.  Look at the length of that front truck in the broadside shot Cavalier linked!  Wow!

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Are you looking for something like this?  We are on the Chessie Steam Special in 1977 heading south on the B&O getting ready to go to North Vernon.  The long trestle on the left is the C&O of Indiana coming downgrade into their yard.  This was taken near Liberty Street.  Photo by Jim Latimer.
I was on that trip with Dad, in fact we did a lot of those Chessie Steam Specials together when he could get down from Peru to ride them. I must have ridden down that bridge/trestle at least 50 times over the years. First on the C&O passenger train from Peru and then in later years on Amtrak. The best time coming down was after Amtrak took over and they decided to put a dome car on the train. I had ridden in the domes on the North Coast Limited from Butte to Chicago while living in Montana so was thrilled to take my first ride down the trestle in a dome. I wasn't disappointed, it was at night and we came out on the trestle and I was in the front seat of the dome, there down in front of you was the Mill Creek Valley and the Queen City looking beautiful with all her lights on. It was like you were flying in and landing in the valley but the view was at a lower level than in a plane. I can still see that view in my mind all these years later.

The only picture I remember taking of the bridge myself was once after I put the kids and grandparents on Amtrak for them to head to Peru I drove over by Rose Lumber and shot the car they were in as it passed above me.

Go Reds!

Wes Lewis

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »
Yes, that's exactly the sort of pictures I've been looking for.  I find it almost mind-boggling that by 1982, when the N&W and Southern merged, there were no traces to be seen of this bridge that once went over Gest Street and, as I've mentioned, I was unaware of its existence until I checked out the CUT book via an interlibrary loan.  Did it not curve around and was it south of the Western Hills viaduct?  I'm really not certain.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
Yes, that's exactly the sort of pictures I've been looking for.  I find it almost mind-boggling that by 1982, when the N&W and Southern merged, there were no traces to be seen of this bridge that once went over Gest Street and, as I've mentioned, I was unaware of its existence until I checked out the CUT book via an interlibrary loan.  Did it not curve around and was it south of the Western Hills viaduct?  I'm really not certain.

The bridge after it headed north curved almost directly west till it got over the Mill Creek then took a northwest direction for awhile then back west again, it was south of the Western Hills Viaduct, could see the C&O on it when I would ride the route 31 Crosstown streetcar later trolley bus across the Western Hills Viaduct.
I am a map person and here is a map that might help understand its location, if you click on it, it should enlarge itself. The views coming down that bridge were much like the special views that you got when you rode the streetcars up and down the inclines of Cincinnati.

http://homepage.mac.com/jjakucyk/Transit1/map70.jpeg

Go Reds!

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
Here is a shot from the air of the bridge, gives you a good idea of its layout, actually more of a northwest direction that it ran. It's number 2 on the picture.

http://homepage.mac.com/jjakucyk/Transit1/coi/large-1.html

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
I'm thinking that was probably the toughest climb out of the Ohio River Valley for any railroad around Cincinnati. From looking at the 30 some pictures at the link provided by HoosierVirg brings back a lot of memories of that part of Cincinnati when I was a kid. I remember some of those trestles.

Inprinter