Author Topic: Terre Haute Railfanning guide  (Read 9557 times)

railfan727

• Dispatcher
Re: Terre Haute Railfanning guide
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
What about Locust Street for Train Watching?

Locust Street is OK, but my preferred spot is from the driveway behind the IGA store, closer to 3rd Avenue.  This is my "standard" morning location in Terre Haute.  When the sun shifts to the west side of the tracks, I either go to the Wabash Valley Railroader's Museum, or set up in the gravel lot on the north side of 8th Avenue, next to the crossing.  This is a good place to get head-on shots of westbounds on the St. Louis Line as they come around the curve through East Haley interlocking.
CSX 9000 series... 46 down, 6 to go!

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
The IGA is my preferred spot.

There used to be a couple OBNOXIOUS truck drivers that would drop trailers off Locust street in the small lot to the north of that street.
They get real nasty if anyone parks near them. I had to call the cops on one.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08:07 AM »
Between the Chicago Line and the St Louis Line. About how many Trains a Day pass through Terre Haute?

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
Between the Chicago Line and the St Louis Line. About how many Trains a Day pass through Terre Haute?
I'd probably say around 30-40
KCS-The Only Original

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »
Ok Thanks. That helps out for my News Letter to the Local National Railway Historical News Letter for February.

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
Ok Thanks. That helps out for my News Letter to the Local National Railway Historical News Letter for February.

I don't know how soon you need to get your info out or accurate you want to be, but I may be able to look at the ATCSMon system in the next couple days (depending on the weather) and get a count on movements by the tower for ya. With all the grain/coal etc trains I think it was 50 +/- last time I checked. All depends on the day of the week.

Bill

Trainguy2525

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »
According to the Trains Magazine hot spot book it says 50-60. I don't know how much truth there is to this though as I've never railfanned here

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »
That would be great to get a real good count of all the Trains through Terre Haute. I will be using that information in my News Letter for the Indianapolis Branch of the National Railway Historical Society. I am also looking for Train counts on the NS in Tolono Ill. I have an Idea what the Count is on the CN/IC through there.

railfan727

• Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
Well, I think I'm going to head down there on Saturday afternoon to take advantage of the (relative) warmth and sunchine for this time of year.  My wife even wants to go along...

My best day there was in 2011 (I believe), with 25 trains seen and filmed during daylight, including several grain and coal moves.  Most days though, if I spend all day there, I see somewhere between 15 and 20.
CSX 9000 series... 46 down, 6 to go!

IC1034

• Engineer
  • Trains are pretty cool...
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »
That would be great to get a real good count of all the Trains through Terre Haute. I will be using that information in my News Letter for the Indianapolis Branch of the National Railway Historical Society. I am also looking for Train counts on the NS in Tolono Ill. I have an Idea what the Count is on the CN/IC through there.
Usually around 40 a day on the NS. Maybe less depending on the day but in a full 24 hrs that's probably a good number to go with.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »
IC1034 Thanks for the Info on the NS Train Count at Tolono Illinois. If you have any other good Locations in Illinois that you can post please do so. I think I have a Count for Tuscola Illinois for the UP/CNIC and CSX. But any Information I can get for Illinois I would Appreciate.

Trainguy2525

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »
Well, I think I'm going to head down there on Saturday afternoon to take advantage of the (relative) warmth and sunchine for this time of year.  My wife even wants to go along...

My best day there was in 2011 (I believe), with 25 trains seen and filmed during daylight, including several grain and coal moves.  Most days though, if I spend all day there, I see somewhere between 15 and 20.
Should be a gorgeous day for train watching!