Author Topic: Richmond railfanning guide...  (Read 7969 times)

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
Re: Richmond railfanning guide...
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
Update: Purina has a bunch of equipment parked west of 6th street so I would not suggest trying to get shots of eastbound trains until they're done with the renovation.
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
Update: Purina has put up a fence so I would not suggest trying to get shots from the west there... EVER AGAIN!  :'(

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
I know that the trains on the NCD don't run on schedules but soon, I'll be coming up with a list of the earliest and latest times that I personally, generally see several of the trains throughout the day. Others can help me update this "schedule" as they see changes in train patterns as well as the times that they generally see these trains in other locations. This will help reduce the amount of threads posted that are asking about these things. If others want to create threads for trains of other lines, the should do so. I'll post this thread in the "Schedules Numbers, etc." Section.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

Peoria Man

• Engineer
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
...bumping some old posts...

Yep, when you rode the Chessie Steam Special you got a button for your cap and also a booklet with a track diagram of the route you were taking. I have a box full of those from my Chessie Steam Special trips. There was a one way trip from Cincinnati to Chicago on June 5 according to my button not sure of the year, but I believe it was 1977, IIRC the specials stopped in 1978.

Quote from: CIOR
The northbound had a mess of issues when it came through.

Yep, June 5, 1978 was the notorious northbound ferry move.

I was on board that train.  I recall the "issues" well.  Coming into Richmond, the train broke in two.  The train went into emergency and someone lost their footing and fell and hurt themselves and they had to call an ambulance.  We must've lost an hour or two in Richmond, dealing with the injury, putting the train back together and adding coal to the locomotive.  Once underway again, the train broke in two two more times, this time at speed, which was no doubt considered extremely dangerous!  It was decided to set out the offending car on an elevator track rather than risk someone getting killed if it happened again.  By this time, Amtrak 51 had caught up to us and was being delayed so they let Amtrak run around to try and make up time.

We also met C&O 90 at Cottage Grove just before doing out photo run-by.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
How many trains would you say go through now a days? Might be on the NCD tomorrow.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
Last scanner count had 35 moves but its been a while back.