Author Topic: Lafayette Railfanning Guide  (Read 13065 times)

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: Lafayette Railfanning Guide
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
I would say between 20-25, maybe even 30 on occasions.
Would I see more here than in McCordsville? I'm guessing so but I don't know.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »

I used to say yes.... now I might guess it's even
If in doubt, Notch it out!

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
just depends. I've found mornings are decent in Lafayette with a little slump until the afternoon. It's a steady place
The gates are going down and the people are starting to frown.

16 down, 4 to go.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
I guess you see Amtrak, NS and CSX. On NS I would guess you would see all kinds of different Power up there.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
I guess you see Amtrak, NS and CSX. On NS I would guess you would see all kinds of different Power up there.
Oh yeah tons of diversity on the Lafayette District. Within 10 minutes I saw two trains with CP, BNSF, UP, and NS power go through Clymers outside of Logansport.

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 02:53:15 PM »
Within 10 minutes? I'm guessing that's because there's the siding right there? Whenever I watch trains on the Lafayette district I only see a train once about every 30 minutes.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Yeah within ten minutes but you're right the one pulled to the siding and waited on the other. Head to Clymers or out by Danes on the other side of Logansport. I feel like the last 4 or 5 times I've been to both something has been on the siding.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
Within 10 minutes? I'm guessing that's because there's the siding right there? Whenever I watch trains on the Lafayette district I only see a train once about every 30 minutes.
You might just have bad luck like I have with trains  ;) ;D

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
Yeah I Dow my train watching in the worst spot. Delphi.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »
I know that Trains going Westbound out of Lafayette go through Tolono Illinois. About how many Trains a Day does NS Run on this line going to and from St Louis.? I did not see a Train Total.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 10:28:48 AM »
Also Between CSX and NS, How Many Trains Go through Lafayette a Day. I am doing this for the Rail Fans at the National Railway Historical Society that Meets in Indianapolis. Many ask about good Locations to go to as Some are getting tired of seeing just CSX in Indianapolis. Csx is bringing lots of New Foreign Power Through. The Latest is the New FEC Power coming through from St Louis to Cincinnati headed home.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 09:25:20 PM »
Also Between CSX and NS, How Many Trains Go through Lafayette a Day. I am doing this for the Rail Fans at the National Railway Historical Society that Meets in Indianapolis. Many ask about good Locations to go to as Some are getting tired of seeing just CSX in Indianapolis. Csx is bringing lots of New Foreign Power Through. The Latest is the New FEC Power coming through from St Louis to Cincinnati headed home.
Everything I've heard from online but I'll be there tomorrow for a little so I'll tell you how much I see within that time.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »

Sorry Trainmaster I forgot to answer back. Overall I saw 6 trains, 3 on CSX and 3 on NS. Almost saw 7 but missed Amtrak by 10 minutes because my alarm didn't go off. Anyway half the trains I saw had foreign power. The first foreign power I saw was shocking, a CP SD90MAC led a 7 engine consist. Also saw an SD40-2 leaser on CSX and a BNSF GE on a NS ethanol train. I was there for about 4 hours, 9-1 and it was much busier in the late morning/early afternoon than early morning. Hope this helps!

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:53 AM »
One day last year I railfanned at the depot and saw 1 CSX and 3 NS in an hour. Timing is a key factor in railfanning the depot, for sure.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 08:24:01 PM »
Hello All,

We are planning a trip to Lafayette the week between Christmas and New Years.  Any guesses on when what day would be best? Or part of day this time of year?  We are also trying to scope out some grain elevators or smaller lines around the area that we could take some pics of.

Thanks all, any thoughts and information would be great.

Dave