Author Topic: Allen Keller videos stops production  (Read 3090 times)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Allen Keller videos stops production
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Just got word after a long bit of rumor that Allen Keller has ceased production of his model railroad videos.  He will continue to sell and possibly upgrade videos that he has in his collection.
Here is the link.
http://www.allenkeller.com/allen_slows_down.php

Anyone that has any of his videos knows what a great thing for the hobby his stuff was.  They took most of us to places/layouts we would have never seen. 

Hopefully Allen enjoys his retirement.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
Re: Allen Keller videos stops production
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
I have several of his videos and I often go back to them when I want to do something the way a modeler did it in his video. I still think the best one was of Rick Rideout's L&N layout in Evansville.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »
Just got word after a long bit of rumor that Allen Keller has ceased production of his model railroad videos.  He will continue to sell and possibly upgrade videos that he has in his collection.
Here is the link.
http://www.allenkeller.com/allen_slows_down.php

Anyone that has any of his videos knows what a great thing for the hobby his stuff was.  They took most of us to places/layouts we would have never seen. 

Hopefully Allen enjoys his retirement.
He retires before covering the CIOR or C&O of I? What an atrocity!
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
He retires before covering the CIOR or C&O of I? What an atrocity!

I doubt I would have ever done his video.  I do know of 2 others that were either going to or in line. 

I think the dawn of good Youtube videos has caused his decline, plus $45 for a video is steep for many people.

Zenithfan

• Fireman
  • Rail Fan, Model Railroader, Rail Photographer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
Two Allen Keller videos that I have are outstanding:
David Barrow's Cat Mountain and Santa Fe & Rick Rideout's L & N.  Large model railroads, but you have to like
the narrow, linear, follow your train design--If I ever have enough space.......
Zenithfan
In a perfect model railroading world the floor would be level, the walls would be square, and the lumber wouldn't be warped.

JohnIII

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:29:54 AM »
I can remember when Rick Rideout's L&N was in Modelrailroader.  I must have looked through that article a thousand times.  I was only 12 or 13 when I saw it.  I kept thinking about how fun it would be to operate it.  Is it still standing/operating?
Hauling Beer on the Beer Line in the 1960s
YouTube:  BeerLineModeler

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
Its sad to hear, but the Youtube easy access to limited layouts really makes it easy to get for nothing. 
I believe Rick's video was one of the very few that sold out.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:50 AM »
I can remember when Rick Rideout's L&N was in Modelrailroader.  I must have looked through that article a thousand times.  I was only 12 or 13 when I saw it.  I kept thinking about how fun it would be to operate it.  Is it still standing/operating?
Yes, its still standing but hasn't operated for quite some time. Last time he hosted anything was the CID fall layout tour back on 11-1-08.  I have shots of the now flooded Ohio River bridge. One of the many highlights of this huge layout. I have had the opportunity to operate twice on this layout in the late 90's and Rick is a great guy and host! Thanks Rick.
The worst thing about model railroading, turning out the lights.  ;) (Qoute from an A. Keller vid)