Author Topic: Crawfordsville's Ames Junction?  (Read 2447 times)

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
Crawfordsville's Ames Junction?
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »
Where exactly is "ames" jct?  Is it in the old Midstates yard?  I plan to get some pics of this area, and I'm not sure where it is.  According to the maps, this is the only real jct where the two mainlines split.  I'm assuming this is Ames?

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
Re: Crawfordsville's Ames Junction?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:06:32 PM »
if you are giong south on 231 you will cross the former P&E, imediatly after you cross it, franklin street will run right alongside of it, turn left and keep going east, you will come to mill street, you may or may not have to turn, if i recall right, it should be tuttle ave that will take you to ames. You may have to turn right to get to tuttle. Also, the road is more like the size of an alley. I also have some pictures at the small, small yard that csx has for its customrs in crwafordsville, posted at
http://mononc420.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=15064

hope this helps
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »
Most people don't realize it, but the PRR used to cross at Ames also.  The spur that curves past Detroit Salt is the old PRR main between Logansport and Terre Haute.  If you look hard enough you can still tell where it passed through immediately east of the Monon and P&E diamond.  

Practice Safe CSX

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 02:34:19 PM »
Ok, thats what I thought.  I/we refer to that as the "midstates yard" due to it's close proximity to Midstates Wire.   In fact, there used to be a locomotive kept gated just off Wabash street, where the old PRR goes to service Raybestos, Crawford Industries, and Inland Container, well the gate was against the old Midstates factory.  Up until the huge fire a couple of years ago, they kept power in that location.  It's since grown over.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 09:31:01 PM »
I was curious as to what you meant by Mid states yard in Crawfordsville.  That clears it up.

I believe north of Ames on the old PRR are Inland and Crawford Industries.  They also have a place called the "Sugar Track" where cars of corn syrup will be transloaded into tanker trucks.

Most of the industry is there at Alcoa and Detroit Salt on the P&E.  To a lesser extent they go out to RR Donnelly on the west side of town.  Its too bad the J775 is a night job now, it would have been interesting to shoot them out west of Ames on the former P&E.

Incidentally, there will be a J777 supposedly starting tomorrow to handle the NS interchage to NUCOR.  I guess they will run the NS Train in, and bring it back out for the NS.  J775 will still run, but I guess focus on the industries in Crawfordsville.

Practice Safe CSX

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 01:32:12 PM »
I'm still lost on the numerical assignments of the trains.  Is J775 the CSX power that's kept on location and J777 is the NS power that just swings thru?  

FYI, I got a couple of decent pics with my cell phone of I believe J775 (or at least it's power) heading north from Ames between Midstates and Sommer MetalCraft (near the gate I was telling you about) headed towards Inland or Crawford.  It was a group of box cars so I'm assuming it was for Inland, since Crawford just unloads hoppers.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »
J775 is the 4 axle power that stays in Crawfordsville.

J777 is a 'new' job that ran for the first time last night.  Supposedly there will be dedicated power left in Crawfordsville for this train.

The NS comes down as a "Z" train from Lafayette.  I can't remember the symbol off hand.  They normally pull into the siding from the north end with their train, while simultaineously shoving their outbound train out the south end.  They then proceed back north.

Practice Safe CSX