Author Topic: NS Frankfort District EAST of Muncie  (Read 11970 times)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
NS Frankfort District EAST of Muncie
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Been told earlier this year that the Frankfort District will get a tie/surface program from Muncie (Muncie East Yard) east to State Line.  Suppose to bring the line up to 25mph.  Currently its 10mph branch.

NS downgraded this route from a through route after 1990, at that point NS had a local that ran the line, then the Lima/State Line segment was sold to RJCorman.  NS interchanged with Corman at Portland daily, this lasted to around 2000ish, when Corman shifted all the traffic to Lima to NS. 
During the 1990's this was a 40mph railroad all the way to state line.  It wasn't until after the completion of the new connection at Redkey that the line was downgraded to lower speeds, or 10mph. 
Traffic is heaviest from Redkey to Muncie.

Today got word second hand that NS and Corman are going to start moving stuff again over this section.

Program is suppose to start this summer, not sure on the date, but NS is rebuilding all the crossings and several bridges from Muncie to State Line.

• Mogul
Re: NS Frankfort District EAST of Muncie
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »
Been told earlier this year that the Frankfort District will get a tie/surface program from Muncie (Muncie East Yard) east to State Line.  Suppose to bring the line up to 25mph.  Currently its 10mph branch.

NS downgraded this route from a through route after 1990, at that point NS had a local that ran the line, then the Lima/State Line segment was sold to RJCorman.  NS interchanged with Corman at Portland daily, this lasted to around 2000ish, when Corman shifted all the traffic to Lima to NS.  
During the 1990's this was a 40mph railroad all the way to state line.  It wasn't until after the completion of the new connection at Redkey that the line was downgraded to lower speeds, or 10mph.  
Traffic is heaviest from Redkey to Muncie.

Today got word second hand that NS and Corman are going to start moving stuff again over this section.

Program is suppose to start this summer, not sure on the date, but NS is rebuilding all the crossings and several bridges from Muncie to State Line.
I've heard the same.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
That is good news.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Joe Iacuone

• Engineer
  • Honoring Grandpa Joe - 42 years on the PRR
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
Residents of St Mary, Celina, Coldwater, Fort Recovery sure would be in for a wake-up (literally)! The users of the rail to trail between Celina and Coldwater would have some company.

k9fon

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:17:04 PM »
So if they return to using the interchange at state line will they still interchange at Lima? Id hate to see the line to Lima become dormant.
The last time i was through Frt Recovery the crossings were paved over abnd the flashers were removed.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
So if they return to using the interchange at state line will they still interchange at Lima? Id hate to see the line to Lima become dormant.
The last time i was through Frt Recovery the crossings were paved over abnd the flashers were removed.

Who knows.  It was mentioned that it was perhaps a "train" but who knows.  Wait and see.  My personal opinion is that NS will have to sink money into Corman's section from St.Mary's west to the State Line. 
Then sink some change into the old Portland pass, it was bad 12 years ago and I know it isn't any better now.

CIOR_CO

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
Portland Pass is in HORRIBLE condition!  Many a time I'd crack a window to make sure we didn't have a wheel on the ground.  Harmonoius rocking and the potential of a derailment due to the spacing of jointed rail occurs in the 16-21mph range.  Portland Pass has gotta be 3 or 4 mph lol.

I wonder what lucky crew (prolly take several of them) will get to move the 26,000 feet of flat cars rusted to the rail for years now over on the state line?
CIOR Conductor on Furlough!!!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
Portland Pass is in HORRIBLE condition!  Many a time I'd crack a window to make sure we didn't have a wheel on the ground.  Harmonoius rocking and the potential of a derailment due to the spacing of jointed rail occurs in the 16-21mph range.  Portland Pass has gotta be 3 or 4 mph lol.

I wonder what lucky crew (prolly take several of them) will get to move the 26,000 feet of flat cars rusted to the rail for years now over on the state line?

I believe they have already done this or a chunk of them.  They ran an L99 with flats, I didn't see it, but it was witnessed.

Now as to the relocated switch at Redkey, if its tonnage trains they are moving over the Corman, NS might be kicking themselves for the move to redo the switch there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:37:37 PM by CIOR »

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »

Now as to the relocated switch at Redkey, if its tonnage trains they are moving over the Corman, NS might be kicking themselves for the move to redo the switch there.
Not my fault.  I said it was backwards when they brought it in.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I remember when they redid redkey to remove the diamond and switch to the stub track on the east side of the diamond.

I think they put the switch in like that because they wanted to use Marion to Muncie via Redkey sub as an overflow route, or to avoid trains having to shove the wye at CP-79 in Marion. Of course that went out the window.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
I remember when they redid redkey to remove the diamond and switch to the stub track on the east side of the diamond.

I think they put the switch in like that because they wanted to use Marion to Muncie as an overflow route, or to avoid trains having to shove the wye at CP-79 in Marion. Of course that went out the window.

It was suggested til we were blue in the face.  Right after the Conrail merger we were handling a TON of Elkhart traffic at Muncie, we moved it to Interchange with the Marion Job daily at Redkey, I was working that job at the time.  They could run the traffic with a local that ran from Muncie to Marion via Redkey.  I guess they felt the union crap was too much and the miles of track to maintain wasn't worth it.  Plus at the time Corman still got a interchange pretty regular, and the sand out of Meshbergers was still hot to move.

We were told that because of the tonnage moving off the Redkey (grain from Andersons was the biggest) that the switch would be reversed and it was.  What made no sense was stubbing Redkey siding, they should have just moved the switch down and left it short, they could have held the cars there for later.  Oh well.  We shall see how this plays out if it even does.

After the mixing center in Fostoria was announced, it was said that NS tried to get the line back from Corman to use to move the auto traffic down from Fostoria.  A Muncie-Bellevue pool would have been established. 

CIOR_CO

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »
I don't really know how much NS gives to RJ Corman interchange wise, but the L76 on any given day has about 8-10 cars for RJC out of Fostoria.  They hand their train off to the L74 who then takes them back into Lima.  The bulk of the L76's handoff to the L74 is for industry work in Lima itself.  Indiana and Ohio RR interchange cars are also in that mix destined for Lima.
CIOR Conductor on Furlough!!!

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »
Hrmmm, 8 to 10 cars a day seems low to reopen an unused track segment.

I am suprised NS did not keep "yank back" rights on the RJC section. They did on other lines.

However, it looks like from google maps there is a new tracks in the yard at Lima, lots of business. Tracks going everywhere!

I wonder if they don't want to move some of the Lima business south instead of dragging it across thru Fostoria.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:55:06 PM by indyspy »

bigjimtrains

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 01:17:08 AM »
That would explain the street crossings being repaired in Portland. I work up there at Tyson so I get to at least hear the train come into town.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
We were told that because of the tonnage moving off the Redkey (grain from Andersons was the biggest) that the switch would be reversed and it was.  What made no sense was stubbing Redkey siding, they should have just moved the switch down and left it short, they could have held the cars there for later. . 
That was the story I was given at the time for the switch.  I was quite surprised to come back one day and see the siding was gone.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

k9fon

• Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
That would explain the street crossings being repaired in Portland. I work up there at Tyson so I get to at least hear the train come into town.

Did Tyson ever use thier spur? I was told it was built and never really used.

MSchwiebert

• Dispatcher
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
Could it possibly be that Corman would extend (through lease or purchase) their operations to Muncie and the work is a precursor/requirement to the deal going through?

bigjimtrains

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »
Did Tyson ever use thier spur? I was told it was built and never really used.
I've been there since 1999 and have never seen a car on it. I believe we use to use it back when we first opened up that is how we got our flour and possibly our corn but for some reason went to trucking both in.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »
Could it possibly be that Corman would extend (through lease or purchase) their operations to Muncie and the work is a precursor/requirement to the deal going through?

Highly doubtful.  Had NS ever thought of this it would have taken place years ago.  The biggest reason is now there is more business on this line now versus then as well.   Plus NS doesn't have this traffic captive, CSX is at the Lima end of the spectrum and reaching Muncie would give them CSX as well there.  So probably not.

My guess is, Poet Ethanol is going to start shipping via rail outbound, and probably something sizable to come off the Corman.  There is a bunch of speculation right now.

Freightrain

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
Any Idea where the tanks on the Wolahan track go.