Author Topic: Noblesville Parks Board looks to evict ITM  (Read 28774 times)

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
Re: Noblesville Parks Board looks to evict ITM
« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
It's all just saber rattling.
Logansport wants a museum, Noblesville doesn't. It seems like these guys really shouldn't be arguing at all, since they both want the same things? right? 
It's called political posturing.In the end they're both going to get what they want...these little letters that only those who bother to read them or are interested just help them gain support from their base back home in their respective communities.  They don't matter.
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22:58 PM »
He would talk like that about the mayor of the city getting the museum he kicked out.

I get the sneaking suspicion that ITM Leadership isn’t always forthcoming with the “truth” in this situation.  It’s not that they’re lying, they just don’t give out all the details.

I’d heard about the Federsl Lawsuits ITM filed, and they were dismissed.  Never heard about them from anyone at ITM though.  They didn’t lie about the filings, they just never stated theyd filed them either.

First I’d heard Save The Nickel Plate was so “sue” happy too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:45:39 PM by CSX_CO »

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
Well neither does the Mayor of Noblesville. Only tells you what He wants You to Know.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #363 on: October 04, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
Well neither does the Mayor of Noblesville. Only tells you what He wants You to Know.

I’ll give Noblesville credit for laying out the information they do let us know though.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
ITM may be only giving out Information that the Lawyers are telling them to let out.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
ITM may be only giving out Information that the Lawyers are telling them to let out.

Given the track record of success from those lawyers, I’d be looking for new counsel myself...

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »
We all should've gone into Law. We'd be retired by now on all this mess! ;D
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #367 on: October 09, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
We all should've gone into Law. We'd be retired by now on all this mess! ;D

Reminds me of this scene....

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #368 on: December 18, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:14 PM »
I don't know why, But I cannot get the Story to Print. We have tried everything.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #370 on: December 18, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
I don't know why, But I cannot get the Story to Print. We have tried everything.

I just used the Trains system to email the story to the address on file here. See if you can print it from the email.

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
Trains Top stories for 2018: No. 8, Indiana Transportation Museum woes
By Mike Landry | December 17, 2018
RELATED TOPICS: TOP TEN | MIDWEST | RAILFANING
Trains Industry Newsletter
Get a weekly roundup of the industry news you need.

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. — A quaint Midwestern town hosting a division of the former Nickel Plate, complete with street running, a lush city park containing a railroad museum with a collection of rolling stock including first-generation diesels and a Nickel Plate Road Mikado, 37 miles of track reaching from farmland to small towns to a vibrant metropolitan area, thousands riding trains to the annual state fair.

More than 50 years of the Indiana Transportation Museum gone in a tragic few weeks in 2018.

Bad blood between Noblesville and the museum ended up with the city refusing to renew the museum’s lease. The museum announced plans in 2017 to relocate to Logansport, Ind. But last summer, citing a lack of progress by the museum in moving out its big collection, an Indiana judge gave the museum less than three weeks to vacate Noblesville’s Forest Park by July 12.

Problems for the museum arose nearly three years ago when former volunteers alleged to track owner Hoosier Heritage Port Authority, the Federal Railroad Administration, and the state attorney general’s office that the museum had violations in finances, operations, and safety. Things unraveled from there: The port authority prohibited the museum from running its diesel excursions, including its main revenue source, the annual two weeks of train service to the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis. Also, the cities of Noblesville and Fishers — terminals of weekend excursion trains — wanted to replace the tracks between them with bike trails.

Then came the court order.

With cut connections to the national rail network (Norfolk Southern at Tipton, Ind., to the north and CSX Transportation in Indianapolis to the south), the museum was trapped between the ticking of the clock and the logistics of trucking more than a hundred pieces of massive railroad equipment somewhere else. Preservationists and others from around the Midwest quickly descended on Noblesville for a desperate rescue operation, buying some of the equipment and moving as many pieces as possible to safety.

The museum’s crown jewel, Nickel Plate 2-8-2 No. 587, immediately went to the new Kentucky Steam Heritage facility in Ravenna, Ky. The 1918 USRA Mike has long been in its second restoration after initial rebuilding placed it in excursion service from the late 1980s to 2003. The museum retains ownership of No. 587 and some certain first-generation diesels, including four F units, along with its 14 rare ex-Santa Fe streamlined Budd coaches of 1937 vintage.

Amazingly, most of the museum rolling stock escaped destruction — some at literally the last minute — sold to other heritage railroads, to private individuals, and to the City of Kokomo, Ind. But there were losses: scrapped were a 1939 Electro Motive Corp. SW1, five 1920s-era Chicago Transit Authority cars, a 1912 General Electric steeple cab, an interurban carbody and a Nickel Plate wooden coach.

The unprecedented speedy slicing up of a railroad museum had a sobering effect on the preservation community, with reflections on organizational mission and management, on relationships with communities and connecting railroads, and on the need to own one’s own property.

To add insult to injury, one of the museum's irreplaceable locomotives, Monon SW1 No. 50, had its cab clipped off by a bridge while in transit to a new location on Dec. 13.

For the often jaw-dropping, head scratching, dramatic object lesson that has become this once venerated Midwest museum, Trains editors name the Indiana Transportation Museum's woes, the No. 8 story of 2018.

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #372 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
The auction of the old ITM equipment has begun.  Current bids:

Atlantic Coast Line Dining Car:  $10,000
Grand Trunk Caboose:  $10,000
Amtrak Steam Generator Car:  No bids
Gulf Oil tank car:  $9,000
Jackson Tamper:  $2,500
Milw. Road F7A   #72:  $25,000
Milw. Road refridg. car:  $3,500
Milw. Road FP7A   96C:  $35,000
NYC Heavyweight Baggage car:  $8,000
Nickel Plate GE 44 ton #91:   $10,000
Nickel Plate Baldwin #99:   $10,000
RTW Tie crane:  $3,500
Union Pacific GP9  #200:   $50,000

Several other misc. items.   Only piece without a bid is the steam generator car

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #373 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:42 AM »
What are the scrap values of those pieces...wonder if all those bids are scrappers.

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:13 PM »
$90 a ton around here, scrap is in the toilet.  Might help save something.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »
$90 a ton around here, scrap is in the toilet.  Might help save something.

That is wild - $90/ton, thank you for the information.