Author Topic: What's the deal with Linden? (NKP/Monon depot)  (Read 2335 times)

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
What's the deal with Linden? (NKP/Monon depot)
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:43:08 AM »
I'm a bit concerned about the status of the Linden depot and museum.  While I understand there are few volunteers and little money to be spent on necessary repairs, I'm still perplexed by the mess left from when Monon Connection pulled out, and the on-going drainage work around the building.  Also, some of the "yard art" is deteriorating rather than improving.  While I would love to volunteer to help the museum (as I am somewhat local) I've been rather put off by some of the leadership in the past. 

Is anyone on the management side experienced railroaders?

Why did Monon Connection just up and leave?

Is there any possible chance of ever re-installing the diamond and building enough trackage to run a limited length excursion train?

Is it possible to get some work done on the signals on site to at least get them to illuminate? 

What can be done to improve the grounds?  Weeds, scrap metal (or yet-to-be-restored yard art) litter the area.  The ugly chain link provided by CSX and the business next door are an eye sore as well.

Aside from money, what does the Linden Depot NEED to improve/recover from the Monon pullout?

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: What's the deal with Linden? (NKP/Monon depot)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I don't know the whole story, but my understanding was that the Monon Society (not the "Connection" - that's the restaurant/museum just north of Monon, Ind.) was basically asked to leave. That's why they moved their archives to Salem.

Somebody else will have to fill in the rest of the blanks ...

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
I thought some of the equipment was moved to the Connection? Either way, the leadership at Linden (at least in the recent last) isn't very friendly.

wabash2800

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
I was there a few years ago with a friend (in 2010?) and we met a guy working there. He was very friendly and showed us around. This was before I finished my book, and he said he would be interested in buying a copy. He gave me a business card. (Sorry, I have since misplaced it.) And though I sent him emails  and called, I never heard from him again.  He seemed very much involved and a one man army. I believe he was building the brick paving in front of the depot at the time. I think I stopped by a year or so ago and no one was there. Perhaps he died or was chased off like the Monon Group.

As to putting in a diamond: Man, do you really think CSX would allow that? We are talking about the same RR that is anti-steam. Don't even think about moving  a dead steam loco over that road in tow! Diamonds are not the RRs best friend and the thought of a tourist RR crossing the CSX line would probably make executive management throw up. But never say never. $$$ might talk.

I post at the NKP Yahoo Group occasionally. Tony Koester is active on that group. Perhaps I can make an inquiry and find out something if no one is too concerned about being politically correct. I'll post back what I find out.

Victor A. Baird
www.erstwhilepublications.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:33:10 PM by wabash2800 »

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:31:36 AM »
Well, I'm not at all familiar with CSX attitude toward much anything, but I'll believe it, after all, they refuse to do heritage units which is a bummer.   :-\

I figure it's a stretch, but the ROW to the east is wide open as well, the problem is with 231 RIGHT outside the museum door its going to be a tad difficult to store any power let alone any rolling stock for the passengers all right there, it would take either buying property east of 231 or getting CSX to allow a diamond put in to enable car and power storage west of the depot.  Again, not likely to happen.

wabash2800

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
I inquired about Linden at the NKP group. Someone replied that the guy we ran into might be Mr. Weaver that passed away recently but the name doesn't sound familiar. I'll have to find the business card I misplaced.

Roger Esker post this reply:

"The contact you should talk to is Gary Vierk at the email address below.

Here is the latest I've heard from then:

The "Lincoln" show on Friday, July 24 is fast approaching.¬  Ticket sales for this world-class event are going well, and just a few days remain to get yours if you don't already have them.¬  Tickets are available online at our website:www.LindenDepotMuseum.org, or at the museum during regular hours: Friday, Saturday, Sunday 12 noon to 5 pm.¬  They may also be obtained by calling 765-427-3630 or 765-404-8560.¬  Or they may be purchased at Duncan Hall on Tuesday or Thursday from 3 to 7 pm, or during the Gallery Walk on Friday, July 17 from 6 to 9 pm.¬  The "Lincoln" show is Friday, July 24 at 7 pm.¬  Doors will open at 6:30 pm.

¬ 2015 is the 150th anniversary of the assassination of President Lincoln.¬  What does Lincoln have to do with railroads? This great man was known, among other things, as the "Railroad President", for he represented a lot of the railroads in lawsuits prior to his entry into politics.¬  When running for President, part of the Republican platform included establishing a "transcontinental railroad".¬  Lincoln felt very strongly about the need for railroads to unite the eastern states with the newer, western states. Lincoln signed the bill assuring the backing by the US government of the first transcontinental railroad in 1862.¬  This railroad was completed in 1869, four years after Lincoln's death.

And why is the Linden Depot Museum holding this fund-raiser?¬  We have been fortunate enough to be able to purchase a CSX caboose and are in the process of arranging to have it moved to the display track between the depot and the model railroad building.¬  We hope to have it in Linden before the end of this season.¬  We need $5000 to accomplish this; hence the need for a major fund-raiser.

All profits from the ticket sales and program ads for the "Lincoln" show will be going towards this goal. Tickets are $20 per person, $15 for Linden Depot Museum members, and $10 for children 12 and under. ¬  So give serious thought to coming to this live theater event.¬  If you want a peek into what the show is all about, be sure to visit our website and click on the "Lincoln Show" link.¬  On that page, below the information about the show are additional links to sample video clips from similar shows done by Michael Krebs and Debra Ann Miller as well as biographies of the two actors.¬ 

If you would like to support our goal of obtaining this caboose, and are unable to attend the "Lincoln" show, you may also make a direct contribution to the museum specifically to go towards this caboose.¬  Since the museum is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation, all contributions to it are tax-deductible under current law.¬  Donations may be made payable to: Linden Depot Museum, and may be mailed to PO Box 154¬  Linden, IN¬  47955¬  You may specify "Caboose" on the memo line of the check or on the outside of the envelope.¬  You may also bring your donations to the museum during regular hours, which are Friday, Saturday and Sunday 12 noon to 5 pm.¬  A photo of the caboose is on display at the museum.¬ 

If you have any questions, email us, or call 765-427-3630.

Hope to see you at the "Lincoln" show and at the museum soon!"

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 08:59:06 AM »
If I recall correctly, the main driver of the Monon Society's decision to leave was a huge increase in rent on short notice. They had to find a new location very quickly. It appeared (I'm a Society member, but not active) that the relationship between the the Society and Museum had become somewhat hostile.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »
The contact you should talk to is Gary Vierk ...

Glad you found that, Victor. I had his name and phone number in my old cell phone but it died a long time ago. He used to bug us at ITM trying to acquire items for Linden. He and the woman that runs the show at Linden had a table at the train show at East and Thompson earlier this year.

If I recall correctly, the main driver of the Monon Society's decision to leave was a huge increase in rent on short notice. They had to find a new location very quickly. It appeared (I'm a Society member, but not active) that the relationship between the the Society and Museum had become somewhat hostile.

And from what some Monon members said at the time they believed the Linden group had some use in mind for the building. While it's not as centrally located the move to Salem may be better. This from someone who doesn't belong to the Monon society and doesn't have to drive down there.

Les Beckman

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
Although not currently a member of the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society, I had been a member for a number of years.  The Society was asked to leave Linden.  They found a home for their archives and helped with an addition to the replicated Salem Monon depot there to house those archives.  Salem has a Monon caboose on display, but had no room for additional railroad equipment there. Thus the museum ended up moving their three pieces of equipment (caboose, boxcar and flat car) to the Monon Connection Museum.  Hope that explains things.

Les