Author Topic: NNYCM Fall Photo Shoot- August 27-28, 2011- CANCELLED-  (Read 2555 times)

MP25Productions

• Brakeman
NNYCM Fall Photo Shoot- August 27-28, 2011- CANCELLED-
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
Milepost 25 Productions presents its Fall 2011 Photo shoot at the National New York Central Railroad Museum, in Elkhart, IN.
Arrive on Saturday Afternoon and browse the equipment that NNYC has to offer including several NYC/PC/CR Cabeese and locomotives, CSS&SB Car Number 13, a few of the ex-Conrail MoW Coaches on the property or watch the NS Chicago Line action for a great location!

After dark, watch as the Museum comes to life and the New York Central is once again alive in Elkhart!

Cost: $35 per photographer with profits going to The Museum for the restoration of Penn Central GG1 4882.

We please ask that you RSVP. You can either do it by this Facebook link:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=137101869695963

or feel free to send us an e-mail with your name and contact information at:
mp25productions@yahoo.com.

Thanks and we hope to see you in Elkhart!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:08:50 PM by MP25Productions »

Gary_Berkey

• Engineer
Too bad the photographer fees aren't going to restore the NYC Mohawk 3001 instead of the former PENNSY GG1. Seems like the priorities here are kinda out of order to me! Gary

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Interesting you say that Gary.  The mayor just "fired" the director of the museum.  He says he has taken the museum as far as he can and it is time for someone else to take the reign.  I think it was more of a forced resignation, according to the article in the paper, which is basically the same thing in my book.

MP25Productions

• Brakeman
Our photo shoot will go on as scheduled. There are no other changes at this time. I am very sorry to hear about Ron's departure and hope the best for him in the future.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:08:55 PM by MP25Productions »

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
As someone long visited the Museum in the 90s and early 00s, and then worked there in 2007 as a volunteer/intern, I have to say that Ron Troyer was one of the best directors that place has ever had. I was absolutely amazed when I visited in December 2010, about 3 years after I worked there, what fine shape the place was in. Exhibits had been completed redeveloped. New artifacts were on display. Some equipment had been painted/work done out in the yard. Most of all, there were actually people there, on a weekday afternoon. Ron Troyer, though I never worked directly with him, has done some fabulous things with the museum. From what I've been told, he was very much a realistic, think-outside-the-box kind of guy. And he knew how and where to pursue funding. The problem with the Museum is that it's city funded. It's a museum with a regional/national focus, funded by a city that has rightfully higher priorities. Nevermind that most of the actual equipment in the yard and several artifacts are actually owned by the Lake Shore RR Historical Society, not the museum or the city itself. It's a very unusual and difficult arrangement. It seems to me that Ron and the Mayor, who bless his soul doesn't seem to know much about how to run a Museum himself, have been at odds for quite a while. The 3001 restoration plan didn't seem to help matters, although I expect we can caulk up the very likelihood that it could have happened to Ron's directorship there. He was a realistic guy, who set realistic goals. He inspired people. He didn't alienate volunteers. And he was a creative guy who wanted to try to get things done!

I worked there in 2007 and the place was kind of a wreck. The museum had undergone an impressive transformation by late 2010 when I visited. I didn't work with Ron, but I met him once or twice and feel like he was one of the best leaders that place ever had. I just hope this Mayor knows what he's doing.

As for the money raised being spent on work on the GG1, well, it could use some TLC.  In the 90s, it got a nice version of black with the PC worms logo on one side.  But that paint looks pretty bad after 12+ years.  Several windows are broken.  I was told in 2010 that new glass had been ordered and this year it was to get the windows and headlights repaired and hopefully a new coat of paint.  Since it doesn't look like the 3001 will operate for a while....and at least half of it looks pretty nice, maybe we can paint up the only remaining needs-to-be-painted locomotive on the property.  Might as well make it look perty!

MP25Productions

• Brakeman
Due to reasons beyond our control, Our Photo Shoot is hereby cancelled. Sorry for any inconveince this has caused.

csxt7671

• Brakeman
Due to reasons beyond our control, Our Photo Shoot is hereby cancelled. Sorry for any inconveince this has caused.

Yeah, I heard the new museum director won't allow anyone in before they open and everyone must be out by 5pm when they close. 
Jeff O.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
Sounds like a lawyer to me. :P :P :P

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

MP25Productions

• Brakeman
Yeah, I heard the new museum director won't allow anyone in before they open and everyone must be out by 5pm when they close. 

That is correct.
Also none of this years restoration on PRR GG1 4882 will not be completed this year. I also spoke with a few members from the Conrail Historical Society and they had to cut down on quite a bit of the stuff they normally offered at their yearly Elkhart meets. I am one that is now going to refuse to go to Elkhart as well as spread the word that the museum is now- "NON-Railfan friendly".

conrailman75

• Engineer
MP25, please wait to spread the negative word about Elkhart until after our event on July 9th.  This is actually our first ever event in Indiana, not to mention Elkhart, and the society board is watching it to see how well attended it is to determine if its worth it to host more events in Indiana.  So based on that, I'm trying to attract as many people as possible for our event from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Western Ohio even though we might get some takers from eastern Ohio or states out east like Pennsylvania as well.  The bottom line is the larger the turnout, the better my chances of getting approval to host more events in other locations in Indiana.  A low turn out would severely hamper my chances of getting to host CRHS events here in Indiana in other locations around the state.
Thanks,

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
MP25, please wait to spread the negative word about Elkhart until after our event on July 9th.  This is actually our first ever event in Indiana, not to mention Elkhart, and the society board is watching it to see how well attended it is to determine if its worth it to host more events in Indiana.  So based on that, I'm trying to attract as many people as possible for our event from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Western Ohio even though we might get some takers from eastern Ohio or states out east like Pennsylvania as well.  The bottom line is the larger the turnout, the better my chances of getting approval to host more events in other locations in Indiana.  A low turn out would severely hamper my chances of getting to host CRHS events here in Indiana in other locations around the state.
Thanks,

Having seen the Conrail group in action in Altoona, PA I think they deserve a square deal.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

MP25Productions

• Brakeman
Im not trying to buck CRHS. I just think the way CRHS as well as our company have been treated by the new director is very unfriendly. I actually would love to host or attend a CHRS event here in the Detroit Area near the CR Shared Assets.

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
It's really unfortunate that the restoration work to GG1 #4882 will not be taking place now.  The work they were going to do would have significantly improved the visual appeal of this motor.....replacing window and marker light glass, numberboards, giving it a new coat of paint, and possibly repositioning it to another spot in the museum (although I don't know just where that would have been).

And good luck to the Conrail Historical Society with their event coming up in July!  Be sure to wander over to the passenger station during Amtrak time so you can go inside and look at some of the excellent old photographs on the wall.  I used to volunteer at the depot and museum back in '07.

conrailman75

• Engineer
It's really unfortunate that the restoration work to GG1 #4882 will not be taking place now.  The work they were going to do would have significantly improved the visual appeal of this motor.....replacing window and marker light glass, numberboards, giving it a new coat of paint, and possibly repositioning it to another spot in the museum (although I don't know just where that would have been).

And good luck to the Conrail Historical Society with their event coming up in July!  Be sure to wander over to the passenger station during Amtrak time so you can go inside and look at some of the excellent old photographs on the wall.  I used to volunteer at the depot and museum back in '07.

Thanks GP30M, I'll try to keep that in mind.

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
Interpretation?

The Elkhart Truth, etruth.com
People's Forum: Railroad museum a treasure

Posted: 6/5/2011 12:00:00 AM

Recently, 15 of us visited Elkhart and I just wanted to let you all know how pleased we were.

We came out from Utica, N.Y., on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited. We visited Norfolk Southern's Elkhart Classification Yard. A very personable and well-informed young man took us in groups of five up into the hump tower to observe the operations.

One does not just walk in and ask for a tour of such a place, and we really appreciated Norfolk Southern's willingness to have us and their hospitality when we got there.

Meanwhile, it turned out that our Elkhart bus driver was a former railroad employee, so he kept those waiting their turns to visit the tower entertained with his own adventures on the railroad. He was most gracious and accommodating.

Our primary destination was the National New York Central Museum, where we were surprised and pleased to be welcomed by your mayor. The museum remained open throughout the evening so that we had plenty of time to enjoy the exhibits and have a first-class dinner in the round-end observation car, all the while watching and photographing the constant parade of trains in and out of Elkhart.

I would urge people to support the National New York Central Museum, whether with dollars, volunteer labor or whatever they can do to help. The folks there have accomplished a great deal, but they also have a lot of big "restoration projects" on their hands. It would be wonderful to see the historic rolling stock indoors and protected from the weather.

Doug Preston

President
Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter
National Railway Historical Society

New Hartford, N.Y.

Gary_Berkey

• Engineer
Interpretation? Well, the Mayor is running for re-election this year, so maybe he wants to put forth a good "impression"? Maybe he wanted to prove he's committed to keep moving the museum "forward"? Considering this was a NRHS group from New York State, where the NYC operated, perhaps they were "worthy" of getting the red carpet treatment? This could be genuine courtesy or playing "politics". It certainly wouldn't be in the Museum's or the city's best interest to alienate the general public unless the "secret" goal is to close the museum eventually. By the way, i was recently told by a local model train dealer that the Mayor has been in his store several times to purchase model trains for his grandchildren. So in conclusion, name your theory, as to what is going on here. I'm planning on being there July 9th for the CRHS Rail-BQ, so maybe i can tell what the city's committment towards the museum will be. Gary

MP25Productions

• Brakeman
Re: NNYCM Fall Photo Shoot- August 27-28, 2011- CANCELLED-
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
My response? Who won't roll out the red carpet for a NRHS society. I have seen it happen numerous times and on many trips. Where was the dinner from? Was it Catered? Did the Museum do it? Prolly not. and $50 says they were out by evening time as it has no mention to overnight or late evening (past 6pm) railfanning at the Museum.

conrailman75

• Engineer
Well, a friend of mine organized that NRHS trip to Elkhart, IN which he started planning back when Ron Troyer was there.  The NRHS chapter approached Ron about coming and Ron got my friend involved in planning and working out the details on it.  As soon as he found out Ron was gone, he talked to the new director and filled her in on what's going on and worked out the details with her, making only a few adjustments.  He had NOTHING to do with why the mayor was there; the mayor chose to be there on his own accord.  The museum's involvement was only letting them check things out and eat a catered dinner in the observation car.  It should also be stated this was a one day out and back trip because the NRHS guys came in on Amtrak 49 in the morning and left that evening on Amtrak 48.

Bottom line, this event was NOT organized to be a "rah rah" session to benefit the mayor or the museum.  It WAS organized for the benefit the members of the Utica NRHS chapter who attended.  Just pointing out the facts while everyone offers their interpretation is all.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »
I'll be there for the RBQ as well, provided I am not working.  From there, I'll make my judgement.

Gary_Berkey

• Engineer
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:32 AM »
First off, thank you Chris for clearing the air and stating the facts about the one day NRHS event there at the museum. Your friend should feel good and be congratulated for planning and steering this event. Like it or not, the museum and depot will always attract railfans ad NYC buffs for years to come. I won't even try to figure out why Ron "was shown the door", considering him and the Mayor belong to the same political party. I'm looking forward to the Rail-BQ and planning on having a real good time! I will bring a couple Conrail N-Scale locos along with a rare N-Scale Norfolk Southern SD-38 loco custom built, painted and lettered to show!!!! Gary