Author Topic: Indianapolis Locations  (Read 1049 times)

Michael(Guest)

Indianapolis Locations
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »
Greetings.  I have been looking for a decent location near downtown Indianapolis.  The best I have found so far is at the downtown heliport where most of the lines converge.  However, I am not sure if this is where most of the frieght goes through.  Any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated by this N-scale and prototype rail fan!  

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Indianapolis Locations
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:19:19 PM »
Downtown at IU is where 90% of the trains in Indy will go past.  The only thing you would miss would be Yard Jobs that use the IU Belt around downtown. Most of these are based at Hawthorn Yard off Emerson on the S.E side of town.  You'd also lose the few trains that leave Avon and go north at CP Hunt to Lafayette or Frankfurt.

Also, the only thru freight that would use the Belt, would only traverse it when the Colts are playing and no trains with hazmat are allowed through downtown.

The open lot there by the Heliport is nice, but you can also park at the top of the Garage by Roberts Camera and have a nice elevated viewing platform.

As far as traffic, its pretty hit or miss.  Most of the stuff seems to run east out of Avon at night, or the early mornings.  This time of year, Q108 and Q148 should be going through downtown just after sunrise.  Y129 should be down there sometime between 9:00 am and noon.  LIRC shows up sometime in the late morning/early afternoon.

If you are looking for a place to watch the Action at Avon, there is an access road that brings you out right at the mainline fuel pad.  You can watch the pullers in action, along with road trains.  You can find it by going down US 36 west past Best Buy and Target.  There used to be a putt putt place that has been torn down.  The road is right by a small strip mall with a scrapbook place in it.  Just take it back to the tracks.  Make sure you park off to the side, as the Car Deparment, Clerks, and Diesel House Service Truck all use that road.  If you get to the Wal-mart stop light you've gone too far.

Practice Safe CSX