Author Topic: Annual Meeting and Excursion--Wabash Railroad Historical Soceity  (Read 1125 times)

wabash2800

• Chief Dispatcher
The Wabash Railroad Historical Society is having its annual meeting this year in Montpelier, Ohio, July 29-30, 2011. As always, we make this open to nonmembers as long as they pay the registration fee.

Our home base will be the Bryan/Montpelier, Ohio, Ramada Inn (Holiday City). We are also providing a limited shuttle btw the hotel and the Bryan, Ohio Amtrak station for those of you that want to arrive and depart via Amtrak. Go to our website for a detailed itinerary, registration form, maps and a list of restaurants in the area.

http://www.wabashrhs.org

On the agenda this year is a round-trip excursion: Edon, Ohio to Ashley, Indiana (on Indiana Northeastern) and return. This is on the former Wabash 4th District. We will only be running one to two passenger cars, so get your registration forms in early. I have requested at least one freight car and a GP7 or GP9 in the consist to commemorate the end of the Gary Local mixed train almost 50 years ago. (This is based on equipment availability at the time.)We will also have a raffle for cab rides. Little River Railroad is providing the cars and in no way are we competing with Edon Days, as the train fare is included in the registration fee of $30 and train capacity is limited to one trip with one or two cars. As a special treat, I have worked up a capsule historical write-up on the line with photos to be handed out to passengers when they board.

What else do you get for the $30 registration fee?  Included are two Wabash RR, audio-visual, historical presentations, a banquet (buffet) dinner, visits to a local model railroad club, museum and an auction of donated Wabash model trains and memorabilia. The funds collected from the cab ride raffle and the auction will be sent to the St. Louis Museum of Transport for the restoration of old Wabash 573.

Yours truly put this together and I hope for a good turnout from our folks on this end of the old Wabash system. Again refer to wabashrhs.org for more details including my contact info. We’ll have  a few former Wabash railroaders there too and  I hope to meet you.

Victor Baird
Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:55:05 PM by wabash2800 »

wabash2800

• Chief Dispatcher
It is still really early but registrations have been coming in good numbers but many WRRHS members have not signed up yet but many as a habit wait until the last minute. We have already filled one passenger car and might cut it off at two passenger cars. I have registrants from as far west as California and as far east as Philadelphia. Some retired Wabash railroaders have singed up too. We have one gentleman coming in from the St. Louis NRHS to sell specially reproduced Wabash china as a fund raising item for the old Wabash 2-6-0 573. We will also be auctioning off Wabash memorabilia and models and raffling tickets for cab rides on the train also for Wabash 573.

Just a reminder, if you plan on attending but have not sent in your registration, the price per person goes up $10 per person after June 30. Publicity for the general public will be going out in local papers including Peru, Montpelier, Bryan, Toledo and Fort Wayne in the next week or two. I hope to see some of you at our meet.

Again, the website for a detailed itinerary and registration form is www.wabashrhs.org
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:44:12 PM by wabash2800 »