Author Topic: Muncie Railfanning Guide  (Read 11372 times)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: Muncie Railfanning Guide
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »
Used to definitely be the case. Things are a changing however, on the CSX anyway.

There are so many oil trains, Louisville rack trains, coal trains, and other stuff now that the traditional CSX mid afternoon dead spot is no longer the case most days. During rail fest I watched the CSX keep rolling thru Muncie on a Saturday throughout the day.

Yeah on the NS, it still dies however.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
Are they BNSF oil trains? I figured it would be but I've only seen one and it was on the day all the St. Joe traffic was detoured on the line.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Are they BNSF oil trains? I figured it would be but I've only seen one and it was on the day all the St. Joe traffic was detoured on the line.

Yeah BNSF I see them during the day off an on.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
Props, to not only the author of the Muncie Railfanning Guide, but to all who contributed to this thread.  I'm finally having some time from work and family commitments that I got to go "train spotting" for the first time in several years.  Was fun to get back into it, but most importantly thanks to the guide, the info in the thread, and some luck, we were able to see lots of trains.  Most importantly my boys got to learn about Pennsy position light signals, Silver and Red Warbonnets, and breaking a train in the middle so a crossing is not blocked.  We also got to see the Progress Rail facility, and dodged a few storms in the process.  Thank you again guys for helping us have a great day in the Muncie - New Castle areas.

Dave

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »
Thanks...

as to Muncie's lull. 

Back in the 90s there were never big lulls thst happened it seemed with the economy downturn.  Use to be Conrail had a mid day parade. 
More recent times NS kept it busy but now they seem to lull and csx flows through the mid day.

a friend logged 12 trains in 2hrs the other day.  Not horrible and that was 10 til noon.

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Thanks...

as to Muncie's lull. 

Back in the 90s there were never big lulls thst happened it seemed with the economy downturn.  Use to be Conrail had a mid day parade. 
More recent times NS kept it busy but now they seem to lull and csx flows through the mid day.

a friend logged 12 trains in 2hrs the other day.  Not horrible and that was 10 til noon.
Was up there yesterday and it was steady all day. Ended up with 17 trains from 10 to 5.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

KCS-The Only Original

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »
Wednesday to Friday are good days..saturday is normally slower for some odd reason but Sunday is good. 
Its funny how traffic ebbs and flows

NW Indy Railfan

• Fireman
  • Just a railfan living in NW Indpls
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
I was up in Muncie on business Friday.  When did they block off S. Liberty St. next to Praxair Distribution?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »
Last month.  They closed several crossings in preperation for the quiet zone through downtown.
Ill be making a revised guide once the project is complete.  Currently downtown is also being redone and streets will change.  So likely this December before I make a new guide.  Reminds myself that its 90 out sunny and beautiful today when I am writing the new guide and its cold and maybe snow.

Kelthomp

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
So basically it's almost impossible to train watch in the town?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
Actually everyone says its better.  You have plenty of new photo angles and places to park and watch.
Once the hotel is open the parking garage might open up possibilities too.  3wisemen will be right on the corner of the new hotel and offer eating right inside the block north of CP229. 

The old Delaware Machine is being redone facade wise and will make a cleaner backdrop too.

Quad gate setup has arrived and is split between the signaldepot and right at Walnut Street.  So it appears to be the first crossing to be done.

railfan727

• Dispatcher
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »
Actually everyone says its better.  You have plenty of new photo angles and places to park and watch.
Once the hotel is open the parking garage might open up possibilities too.  3wisemen will be right on the corner of the new hotel and offer eating right inside the block north of CP229. 

The old Delaware Machine is being redone facade wise and will make a cleaner backdrop too.

Quad gate setup has arrived and is split between the signaldepot and right at Walnut Street.  So it appears to be the first crossing to be done.

Unfortunately, Scotty's Brewhouse (of which 3wisemen is a part of) tends to be very expensive.  Great food, but it's all ala carte... you can't get a burger and fries as a platter.  You get the burger (9 or 10 bucks by itself), and pay 4 more for a separate order of fries to go with it.  I used to love eating there (the Atomic Mofo Burger was the BOMB!!!!!), but since they re-did their menu to make everything ala carte (and getting rid of the Atomic Mofo Burger in the process), I haven't been back, nor do I plan to.

If I'm going to spend 15 bucks on a burger and fries (and that's with only a glass of water to drink), it's going to be at a very high-end spot on a special occasion (and even then, I'd be more likely to just get a steak anyway).
CSX 9000 series... 46 down, 6 to go!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
More places coming in.  Microbrewery is going in the front half of the NYC Freight house on Liberty St.  I'm betting they will redo the facade with new windows but haven't seen anything yet. 
The portion they get has some neat logos and NYC stuff in there too!

Rumors swirling about other stuff coming in downtown as well.

As of right now, the star press has placed trash toters with no trespassing signs across their drive.  My guess is until the hotel is totally done and parking signs up that this will be a issue, once done it likely won't be...Probably by summer.

Quiet zone still delayed by federal red tape but railroads are said ready as is city.  As to horn noise, you will still have plenty.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
Sorta update if you will.

Quiet zone still held up for NS, unsure date but apparently it's a MP issue on paperwork. 
Road construction is ongoing and changes still happening.  Once this is done I'll revise the guide to show it all.
Maybe spring 2017.

Traffic is way down on both NS AND CSX more so noticed on CSX with the new schedule, you can go hours with nothing. 

huelsy

• Conductor
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »
When is the best time to get activity on the NCD? I want to film a few going over the White River on the east end of town.

James K9APR

• President
  • Minion
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 02:27:45 AM »
Early Morning and late afternoon.

huelsy

• Conductor
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
Thanks! I am on vacation next week so I hope to make it over and get some good videos!