Author Topic: Muncie Railfanning Guide  (Read 11646 times)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Muncie Railfanning Guide
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »
Attached is a printable railfan's guide to Muncie. Thanks to Matt for writing the notes.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Muncie Railfanning Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »
There are a great many other locations around town, but I just tried to highlight the better locations. 

Thanks to Nathan for doing the mapping! 

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
The text of the notes, with googlemap links:

--------------------------

Perkins Avenue:  (CSX) Located west of downtown, this crossing has parking for roughly 3 cars, its all private property.  Parking is on the south side of the tracks, do not park on the north side of the tracks as this is an active business driveway!
This location allows shots of the CP230 signal bridge using telephoto lens, and also shots of easbound CSX trains topping the hill coming down into Muncie.
Nice photo angles in each direction.

Elliott Street:  (NS/CSX)  Located west of downtown, this is the convergence of the NS Frankfort district and the Indianapolis line of CSX.  CP230 is located here, and you can see the diamond at CP230 east of the road.  Parking is very limited here, all parking is private property, however if you don't linger long you shouldn't have issues.  The little building at the corner of 2nd Street and Elliott Street, if you turn down 2nd street, there is limited parking behind that building and you can walk up to the road from there.
Nice photo angles, limited for WB trains on the CSX.  Signal bridge for CP230 is here

Council Street:  (NS/CSX)  Just west of downtown, probably the 2nd busiest location in Muncie.  From here you can see the NS Frankfort District, CSX Indianapolis Line and NS Frankfort-New Castle District connection track.  Parking is very limited here, its all street parking at the curb, there is a home located just north of the CSX tracks so DO NOT BLOCK THIS DRIVEWAY!!!   Photo angles are limited to every direction.  However good angles for CSX both East and West can be had, NS Frankfort district (limited traffic) can be had on Powers Street north of the tracks.  The NS Frankfort-New Castle connection track has a nice angle for northbound (railroad west) here, but limited southbound.  Many signal shots to be had here.

Liberty Street:  (NS/CSX)  South of Downtown, this location offers both railroads and all the districts in town.  This is the busiest location (along with Walnut Street) for activity.  From here you can see the NS Frankfort District, CSX Indianapolis Line, NS New Castle District.  Parking again is limited, you can usually park in the Aluminum Supply lot if they are closed, or pull off in the old Freight House driveway to grab a shot, but please do not block any driveway!
This location gives great photo angles on the NS New Castle District for Southbound trains, and for both directions on the Indianapolis Line of CSX.  The NS Frankfort district is tight through here, with the curve.  You can view CP229 diamond looking east from Liberty Street.

Walnut Street:  (NS/CSX) South of Downtown, this is the busiest location to watch trains at in Muncie.  It inclused all the Districts in town, NS Frankfort District, CSX Inianapolis Line and NS New Castle District.  Parking is limited, there is a small lot north of the tracks, this is private property as well.  Limited photo angles exist here without walking down Walnut Street.  The CP229 diamond is located just east of Walnut Street crossing, this location also has limited view of the signals in town.

Sixth Street:  (NS) South of Downtown, this is the junction of the NS New Castle district and the NS Frankfort-New Castle District connection.  Trains heading to and from Fort Wayne will head toward CP229 (right) and trains heading toward Frankfort and Elkhart will head toward CP230 (left) here.  Parking can be had in the Bowling alley parking lot.  Please note that on the west side of the tracks, the city salt barn and fire station lot is NO TRESPASS.  You can pull in there along the road, but don't go all the way back in there.  This location has limited photo angles, but good for roster shots.

Tenth Street:  (NS) Not a interlocking but a good place to park and get shots of NS trains on the south side of town.  The road now dead ends at the NS tracks, you can reach it from Liberty Street.  Also you can follow along side it on Cherry Street.  This location allows decent photo angles north and south.  This is from a public road, plenty of room to park and turn around.  The Muncie Mission (homeless shelter) is just south of this location, but hasn't been an issue thus far).  If you park on Cherry, the road is narrow and can cause issues, use caution!

23rd Street:  (NS) This location is on the far south side of Muncie.  Parking is in the Omni Source south lot, usually just a park and grab location.
Photo angles are nice to the south, limited somewhat to the north due to the scrap yard.

Pershing/Vine Streets:  (NS/CSX)  This location is east of Downtown, it is of the dual NS Frankfort/New Castle Districts and CSX Indianapolis Line.  Neighborhood isn't one to hang around in, but makes for a good quick photo location.  Parking is streetside.

Lincoln Street:  (NS/CSX) On the east side of Muncie, this is the former Vance tower location.  THIS ROAD IS HORRIBLE!!!!!  When I say horrible, its bad, bad, bad.  Use caution driving it.  There are holes as big as cars!  Parking is streetside, there is some limited pull off locations.  The NS New Castle/Frankfort District and CSX Indianapolis line come together here.  Both cross bridges of the White river to reach this site, but the bridges are not easy to photograph from this location.  Photography here is decent to the west and ok to the east for both CSX and NS.

Bunch Blvd:  (NS) This is the site of Bath Interlocking on the NS, where the New Castle and Frankfort lines split at Muncie East Yard.  There is a small pull over spot along the river, that allows shots of the trains crossing river on the bridge.  This is almost a due west shot, so mid afternoon is a hard time to shoot here!  parking is very limited, but worth the effort if you can get a shot.  Further down Bunch Blvd the New Castle District comes back around and crosses the river and road on another bridge, creating a different photo angle and the road will follow the river and tracks out on the North side of downtown providing for other photo opportunities!

(NOTE:  Road is labeled "BALL RD" but it is in fact BUNCH BLVD)

Other spot

Please note:  Muncie East Yard is not very photo accessable, please do NOT trespass here!!!  Do not block the drive into the yard or pull into the area south of the tracks on Gavin Avenue!

Butterfield Road:  (CSX) located on the far east side of Muncie, just west of the Muncie Bypass, this location leads to wide open photography.  Parking can be had in the former Container Corp driveway.  Please stay away from the building!  Angles are great to the east and ok to the west.  Train spees are slowing down here, so you are good to shoot east.

Please use good judgement while railfanning in Muncie.  Don't trespass and if it doesn't seem like the right place to be, then leave!  Many roads in Muncie downtown are One-Way, so please use caution while chasing.  Walnut Street south of the ROUNDABOUT is 2 way, but north its One-Way.  Victor Street cuts from Walnut Street west to Liberty Street.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
Really nice job. Will certainly be handy on Saturday. I did that for Shelbyville a couple of years ago, but I couldn't get even a full sentence for railfanning locations.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »
Not on this map, but I have my own map will be the ATCS Mobile Monitor.

This will be set up at the end of High Street. PLEASE do not park down there however as space is tight down there, park in the convention lot and walk down (SEE MAP)

I will have my external speaker set up as well as the ATCS Mobile Display.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:47:18 PM by indyspy »
If in doubt, Notch it out!

NW Indy Railfan

• Fireman
  • Just a railfan living in NW Indpls
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »
This is very nice.  I get to Muncie from time to time on business.  Thanks, NW Indy Railfan.

NW Indy Railfan

• Fireman
  • Just a railfan living in NW Indpls
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »
Got to Muncie today and hung out on Lincoln Street for an hour or so.  This map sure came in handy.  Thanks again.

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Hey CIOR:

On the print-able map at the top of the thread, the "D" location by the old warehouse downtown . . . who has turned that lot into a materials storage area?

It's like they are storing construction and / or landscaping items on that triangular lot.

I used to park there, but now think that there is too much activity in that area.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:09:59 AM by NSyorktown »

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
Hey CIOR:

On the print-able map at the top of the thread, the "D" location by the old warehouse downtown . . . who has turned that lot into a materials storage area?

It's like they are storing construction and / or landscaping items on that triangular lot.

I used to park there, but now think that there is too much activity in that area.

Ya, a guy took it over, the freight house and lot there, he tears old buildings and stuff down, then takes the material apart and stores the lumber there.
No one goes down in there anymore.  Most people are over around CP229 to the east of Walnut or hanging around CP230 at Council Street.  The gentleman that owns the building on Council south of the tracks, is nice and as long as you don't cause issues doesn't seem to mind you being there.  Just say hi to him if he stops.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:10:17 AM by NSyorktown »

B@M

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
is the cardinal greenway walking path? if it is is there parking for it?looks like some places there to railfans.also is there charge to park in the muncie convetion center lot?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
is the cardinal greenway walking path? if it is is there parking for it?looks like some places there to railfans.also is there charge to park in the muncie convetion center lot?

The only place you could railfan on the greenway would be the depot location on Wysor street.  You can also see the NS and CSX down by SR32, but that is all really.  Its not a good place to fan from!

As to parking, there is no charge to park in the convo parking lot.  However its not ideal to set there and watch from.  There are too many things in the way.

As to the places to go, use the guide above.

B@M

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
thanks for the help.printed the guide off, looking forward to my trip there this wed.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
thanks for the help.printed the guide off, looking forward to my trip there this wed.

Your best bet is Council Street, the reason is you can set south of the CSX tracks and when a NS train comes for the Fort Wayne side, just run down to 6th Street and grab it there.  While not ideal, it works for almost all the regulars up here.

The greenway is bad at the depot because they planted trees and it limits what you can take shots of. 

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
This is the Cardinal Greenway, the old C&O depot. 
The view even in winter stinks.

http://cior.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2398732

B@M

• Fireman
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
great time railfaning in muncie.that map was very helpful.didnt get of lot pictures.even without a scanner still caught some stuff.look forward to going back.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
Can someone please advise about how busy Muncie is on Sunday between 9am/3pm? Would Memorial Day, July the 4th weekend or Labor Day have any effect on the number of trains one could hope to see?

Tks!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
Holidays always slow down but you should still see trains in Muncie.  I tell people to avoid Saturdays if possible but you should be good that time of day.

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
Holidays always slow down but you should still see trains in Muncie.  I tell people to avoid Saturdays if possible but you should be good that time of day.
Saturdays can be promising....;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

KCS-The Only Original

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Saturdays can be promising....;)

I wasted more than a few Saturdays to learn my lessons.  Sure you get them here and there but observations of many local fans tell why you dont see locals there watching ;)

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
I wasted more than a few Saturdays to learn my lessons.  Sure you get them here and there but observations of many local fans tell why you dont see locals there watching ;)
Lol. I will say that it is more nocturnal ;)

KCS-The Only Original