Author Topic: Intermodal Facility in the Indy Area  (Read 2170 times)

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
Intermodal Facility in the Indy Area
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »
A year or two back I seem to remember on the news they were talking about Indianapolis getting an intermodal facility did this never happen because we have no room?
KCS-The Only Original

JohnIII

• Superintendent
Re: Intermodal Facility in the Indy Area
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
I just did a quick search here in the forum, and it appears to be a dead end since it's cheaper to truck a container between Indy and Chicago rather than put it on a train.  It's more economical to ship a container via train to/from the East/West coast due to the longer distance.  Just punch in 'intermodal' in the search box above and it should pop up pretty quick.  I admit I didn't look to see who made the reply, so these are NOT my words or thoughts.
Modeling the Beer Line, downtown Milwaukee, WI in the mid 60s. Trains n' Beer! I'm in heaven! 🍺

You Tube Channel: cthsemilw

KCSLOVER94

• President
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »
Ohhhh ok then should have looked first it seems!!!
KCS-The Only Original

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • I build Civics & Acura ILXs at Honda.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:36:14 PM »
Even if they would have, I think they would've just added on to the Van tracks at Avon.
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.

ScottFlood

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
There was an organized effort involving the developers of the industrial properties south of Avon Yard (along the Ronald Reagan road corridor), some of the local economic development groups, and some state-level folks to create an "inland port" at or adjacent to Avon. The goal was to bring west cost intermodal directly to Avon. They got quite a bit of press, but the proposal hit about the same time the recession got started, and I think it just faded away.

Rick

• Superintendent
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:09:45 AM »
They just had on the news last week that NS and Ft. Wayne are looking at adding an intermodal facility.  They didn't go into much detail but said it is being looked at.

IndyHog

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
Well North Baltimore, OH on the CSX and Columbus , Oh on the NS will both have sizeable intermodel yds which besides Chicago will service the Indianapolis market. We don't have leaders in the governors office or statehouse who get the vision of railroading 's future.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:49 AM »
We don't have leaders in the governors office or statehouse who get the vision of railroading 's future.

I'm not sure railroads know what the future of railroading is, kind of hard to lay that on politicians, LOL.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

IndyHog

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
Right on regarding the politicians. The point I was trying to make is that the railroads and many states spent big bucks updating infrastructures and raising clearances on the Heartland Corridor and the National Gateway Corridor. It's a big gamble that the future of eastern traffic will be less and less coal and more and more domestic and international boxes. Especially when the Panama Canal upgrade is finished and the deepwater ports of the east are fully developed. Indiana's answer is build more roads.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
So true about the gamble statement, it is hard to predict the future, case in point, look at the natural disasters that have hit Australia. They are going to have a lasting effect for years including here in the US, this is a small world in many a respect. Because of the disasters there the Aussie's customers are going to turn to the US for coal and grain among other things. There will be a shift toward shipping more from the west coast hence the big push to get that big coal port built in the state of Washington so the coal doesn't all have to out of Vancouver. There will probably be an increase in demand for coal from the Midwest too depending on the type of coal needed by the overseas customers. The word out of Australia is that some of those mines may not be back in production for 12-24 months, with China and Japan's thirst for these Australian products the difference has to be made up somewhere and that is here and these items are mostly shipped by rail.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

Cmdr_Suds

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
Especially when the Panama Canal upgrade is finished and the deepwater ports of the east are fully developed. Indiana's answer is build more roads.
I think we tried canals once  ;D
CSX CE&D Sub (thanks CSX2605)

"There is no substitue for hard work.  But that doesn't mean I am going to stop looking.

KCSLOVER94

• President
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
We did didn't work out so well LOL and it would be nice but I don't see it happening....
KCS-The Only Original

trainmaster53

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
At one time there was talk that CSX was looking to build a Intermodal Facility somewhere between Avon and Terre Haute Indiana. The reason was because Avon is Land Locked. There is alot of open land to the west of Avon that would be good for that very reason.

KCSLOVER94

• President
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
Yes it would be great because I70 is not far when your at Danville
KCS-The Only Original

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Yes it would be great because I70 is not far when your at Danville

Apparently you've never driven/rode IN 39 between Danville and US 40.  That has got to be one of the curviest state roads in the county.  With the coming of Ronald Reagan Parkway, and Duke purchasing much of the fields to the south, opening a ramp south of Avon would make sense.  Just curve the current van strip tracks to the south, and directly into the Duke property.  Ronald Reagan would give direct access to I-70, the airport, and much of the existing logistic facilities in Plainfield.  Building in Danville would only tax US 36 more, Dan Jones more, and have poor connections to I-65, I-74, and I-70.

Practice Safe CSX

KCSLOVER94

• President
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
Actually I was talking about the HUGE open space at Pontiac Road just south of the tracks wouldn't require a curvy ride down 39..
KCS-The Only Original

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
Actually I was talking about the HUGE open space at Pontiac Road just south of the tracks wouldn't require a curvy ride down 39..

How do you expect the trucks to get between any of the interstates around Indy and that point?  You can't just take 18 wheelers across the various back roads in Hendrick's county.  They aren't designed for that.  Plus, you're going to need 2 to 3 miles of open space to build such a ramp, and that doesn't exist at Pontiac road.  You have a considerable fill between there and Danville proper to contend with.  There's considerably more to such a project then just plunking it down and going "Here it is."  You need to take a look at N. Baltimore and see what it takes to build a large state of the art ramp.  Its going to have near direct access to I-75, something that a location in Danville wouldn't do.

Back to the original topic, the study that was done was to connect a port in Mexico with a new ramp in Avon.  It was going to be located just south of Avon Yard.  My guess is the financial crunch put the kibosh on this project.  Traffic through Indy should increase with the opening of N. Baltimore.  I've heard rumors of 4 new trains, two each way, from N. Baltimore and west towards St. Louis.  I would guess that some of that traffic may turn south towards Salem, and Texas. 

Until it there is enough demand in Indy proper, and that demands overloads the current strip at Avon, then you probably won't see any new ramps opening up.  As it stands, while small, the Avon ramp really only operates 12 hrs a day.  If Parsec (the company that operates the ramp) were serious about growing business, then they would ask for a 2nd 'van job' to spot and pull cars on an additional shift.  As it currently stands, the strips only get pulled on 3rd by the Y394, and then get filled up by the Q111 and Q115.  While a good EB flow connecting to Q108, the WB flow only amounts to 1 or 2 trailers a day, most days.  Unless they grow the WB traffic, the current ramp at Avon, while really a joke, will meet the needs of Parsec and CSX.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »

BTW, the open space east of Pontiac Road is the Henricks County airport, and only nets you about a mile before the next county road.  Even then the topography is way to undulating for a ramp.  To the west is the aforementioned fill for the creek that runs along the east side of Danville.  West of the creek, is a golf course, and then you get into Danville proper.  The first place west of Danville with enough 'open space' would be out near Heritage Lake.  I have a sneaking suspicion those people wouldn't want an intermodal ramp located near them, and at that point you're almost 30 miles away from downtown Indy.

Practice Safe CSX

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
Is there still a big field south of the van strip in Avon?
The gates are going down and the people are starting to frown.

4 down 16 to go.

Joe Iacuone

• Engineer
  • Honoring Grandpa Joe - 42 years on the PRR
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »
"Traffic through Indy should increase with the opening of N. Baltimore.  I've heard rumors of 4 new trains, two each way, from N. Baltimore and west towards St. Louis."

How would CSX route from N. Baltimore to Indy?