Author Topic: B&O Shops at Washington, or rather, what's left  (Read 4566 times)

TByrer(Guest)

B&O Shops at Washington, or rather, what's left
« on: July 09, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »
The Washington shops lasted for about a hundred years. My great-grandfather worked there. My grandmother could remember taking the bus to Washington from Loogootee in the forties to meet him after work on Fridays for an evening on the town.

Here's how the yard looked in its heyday. Note the roundhouse dominating the center of the pic.

Here's what's left of the roundhouse:

Here are a couple of pics of the shops. A big wind came through in April and knocked the roof off the building in the first pic. The building in the second pic burned about a year or so ago. We live about four blocks from these buildings. My wife said while the building was burning, she could see smoldering cinders falling in our yard.

[Modified to correct image links]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:54:38 PM by admin »

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: B&O Shops at Washington, or rather, what's lef
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »
Cool photos.  I'm sort of surprised that there is still so much remaining.

Thanks for sharing!
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

BozoTexino

• Fireman
Re: B&O Shops at Washington, or rather, what's left
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »

Here's what's left of the roundhouse:

Google Earth overheads here. Select *Satellite* and zoom in at the linked location.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
Nathan, i agree! Lots off stuff still in place, even the transfer table!! Will have to check that out if I ever find myself in the area.

Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
There was a railcar repair shop located there for a while. Looks like it too closed up shop. :(

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »
10 years ago. The Round House had 4 stalls still standing, but the roof fell in and was set on fire. The Washington city finsh tearing down the rest of the building. It has been gone for about 6-7 years.
High & Dry Line

buckeyehoosier

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
Damn sad sight. Sure would have been cool to hang around there back in the day.  :'(

Here's a closeup shot I took last June '09.
Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
I've been mapping Indiana railroads in Google Maps and I'm beginning the process of putting links in the "information" waypoint icons on the "flight tours" maps.  I ran across this article pertaining to the history of the Washington, IN shops - all the way back to the O&M days.  Here's the link => http://www.borhs.org/magazine/unprotected/eSentinellow20121Q.pdf

Here's the link to my Indiana Railroad maps if you enjoy Google Maps => https://sites.google.com/site/indianarailroadtours/home 

I bleed red

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
I had a good friend that worked there many years ago when it was Evans railcar. He was a welder for many years. They starting doing cuts in the 80's and he ended up in Lafayette painting semi trailers.