Author Topic: A freelanced shortline  (Read 1239 times)

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
A freelanced shortline
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
So if I am trying to put together a system for a freelanced road of mine, the Terre Huate Terminal, anybody have suggestions for trackage in the Terre Haute area, or lines spanning out?

http://www.inrd.com/images/pdf/Terre_Haute_terminal_map.pdf
The gates are going down and the people are starting to frown.

16 down, 4 to go.

CIC-CEI-CAS

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: A freelanced shortline
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Hi,
    Terra Haute is a good choice due to the variety of lines coming into it.  Depending upon the era you choose to model, a large variety of roadnames and models could be seen.  The three big players were the NYC and PRR (PC, TB&E, CR, & CSX) which were east/west, and the C&EI (later L&N, Family Lines, & CSX) going north/south.  The Milwaukee/CTH&SE (SOO & CP) came in from the north and went southeast.  Just west of Terra Haute the PRR had a branch going nothwest to Paris,IL.  A short distance orth of Terra Haute the C&EI had a branch that left the main and went to Brazil. 
    If you have the space to include Brazil it offered a lot as well. The PRR main went to east from T.H. into Brazil.  The B&O came in from from the north on the former C&EI.  The C&EI branch from north of T.H. came from the norhtwest.  The Central Indiana came from the norhteast.  The NYC/PC (Evansville, Indianapolis, and Terra Haute) came in from the southwest again on a former C&EI line.   I have maps of the Brazil area showing the tracks and yards if you decide to add that area to you layout. 
Jim Thomas
Kokomo

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
It really depends on the era you want to model, and what you want to do with it. Since you're calling it a "terminal" railroad, I presume you'll want to keep it primarily switching?

In addition to the railroads Jim mentioned, the Indiana Railroad interurban also had their trackage in the mix once, including the longer-surviving branch to the Binkley Mine, east of town (do a search on here for more info on that).
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:05:16 PM »
I guess Terminal might not be the right word. ;D Preferably modern era. I was thinking having a situation where The Terre Haute (something goes here) owns the Paris Branch, which would mean the RR would have to run J721 traffic with an interchange at Duane. Any other suggestions?
I was thinking RailAmerica because of the wide variety of power that can be used.

16 down, 4 to go.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
How 'bout the PRR main from Chase to Brazil and then the Paris Branch? That would afford you interchange with the INRD and CSX, plus a number of online businesses. Heck you kind of follow the Terre Haute Brazil and Eastern and run all the way to Limedale. You could service the cement plant there and another interchange.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
Why not just model the CIOR, after all its already handled in what tracks are owned and what they do.

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
I'm currently designing a motive power fleet

16 down, 4 to go.

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
Where does all coil steel that goes to Paris on J721 go?

16 down, 4 to go.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
Where does all coil steel that goes to Paris on J721 go?

The coiled steel gets set off at Terre Haute and a local (J708 maybe) takes it to the industrial park south of Terre Haute.

Practice Safe CSX

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
So that would explain 721 blocking all the crossings in town and then backing into Duane. Always a healthy cut on there...

16 down, 4 to go.