Author Topic: Honda Plant News Archive  (Read 57578 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: Honda Plant update!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
A site map for the Honda development developed by INDOT can be found at following link:

http://www.in.gov/dot/div/legal/rfp/0607map.pdf

This is a 5.35 MB pdf file, so load at own risk if you have dial up or slow machince, etc. For best viewing you should be using Adobe 7.0

For those who can not open file, basically it is a similar overhead shot as posted above with the planed plant location and improvements. Railroad highlites include the relocated right of way, which from drawing appears will be 3 tracks wide (probably a main and 2 sidings), an 8 track wide roughly 4000 foot long support yard east of plant begining near Vandalia Road (also appears Vandalia Road will become an overpass),  and a second 4 track roughly 2500 ft long yard, with 4 additonal stub end loading tracks immediately southwest of plant.  

As for activity, Atlas Railroad Construction highrail trucks have been operating on line daily this past week.  A number of new ties have been dug in in slow order areas between Sunman and Greensburg, plus the whole line got a heavy dose of weed killer this week.   Almost looks like it's prep work getting line ready to support heavier traffic due to various upcoming m.o.w. work.  Lets see, 10,000 + ft of relocated main line, which on INDOT's map shows 3 tracks wide, an 8 track wide 4000+ ft long yard, another 8 track (4 double ended, 4 stub) 2500+ ft yard,  another 1000 ft or so of leads = roughly 165000 linear feet of rail - thats a couple railtrains right there, not to mention the ties, switches, ballasts, ect.  
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »
Some updated info as of 8/12/06.  The previously announced line closing of the CIND for Honda construction has been changed.  Line was orignially going to close on 9/15/06 - that has been moved up - dismantling could begin as early as this Monday - 8/14/06.  The last revenue train west of Greenburg for the next year or so may have already operated or could operate tonight/tomorrow.  (They will likely run this weekend, but not sure how far west.  Only work I know for sure they have is 7 outbounds from Sunman - and I sent 6 of those to interchagne at Cincinnati and 1 to Chicago via IORY/CFE, so it could end up being just a Sunman round trip)

Track work looks like could be kicking off soon.  Atlas RR Const. hi-rail trucks have been working between Sunman and Greensburg over the past couple weeks - looks like they are  concentrating on slow order areas.  They've dug some new and relay quality used ties in in several areas, and just this week, between 500 and 600 quality relay ties appeared neatly stacked along right of way at about MP 45.5.  The current number of hi rail pickups, Suburbans, and larger trucks operating on the line in the past few weeks far out numbers the trains.

In additon to this patchwork, it looks as if a major tie program could commence in Cincinnati and come west.  The line from Cincinnati to Valley Jct just recieved a decent sized tie program and surfacing this spring/summer.  Starting in Cincinnati and coming at least as far west as Anderson Ferry Road, this freshly tied and surfaced line has been marked for additonal ties.  Furthermore, there are I would guesstimate roughly 1500-2000 new ties bundled and stacked at Idaho Street in Cincinnati, and new ties distibuted along right of way in the area.

As far as work at the actual sight, nothing rail related yet.  The State has closed the I-74 US-421 interchange for some temporary road re-alignment to allow easier access to the sight for construction traffic coming off 74.  This work was let on an emergency contract and contractor only has a couple weeks to get it done, so needless to say, they are working this weekend.  A utility contractor is relocating the electrical transmission line that runs down the old interurban right of way (parrallel to the CIND line) to the south and west property lines of the Honda sight - looks like the pole line on the old interurban line will be gone within a matter of days now.   Also the majority of the houses, barns, and buildings that are on the sight have been torn down or moved, or are well into the process of tearing down.  Other than that, the engineering and surveying continues in force.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »
One may want to look at the Honda plant at Marysville, Oh as a 'model' for how the plant in Indy will work.  They get racks in and out, and most other stuff comes in via the intermodal trains Q146 and Q147.  I've never been by the plant myself, but I don't think they get any loose car commodities.

Someone was looking at building a yard at the former Hill Yard site, but that project may be on the back burner now.

Practice Safe CSX

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »
I'll have to slip down to Vandalia Rd. this afternoon and see if anything is sitting there, and hopefully get a few pictures.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 09:47:39 PM »
Scraphauler, you've mentioned in a previous post that the speeds are to be increased on this line (30 to 40mph). My question to you or anybody else is. What about this line being dark territory (no signals)? Is this a problem with the increased speeds? The line is presently Traffic Warrent Control (TWC). What is the maxium speed allowed on a TWC line?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:49:46 PM by Cheviot_Hill »

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »
If I recall correctly, 49 MPH is max authorized speed in dark territory.  

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
If I recall correctly, 49 MPH is max authorized speed in dark territory.  

You are correct, 49mph it is.

If they leave in jointed rail, don't look for anything over 40mph.  Not saying they won't just how it goes most times.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2006, 04:11:03 PM »
What kind of maintenance if any will occur if any on the greensburg-Shelbyville section and the csx portion of the line?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2006, 04:35:03 PM »
No idea what CSXT will do Shelbyville to Indy. Personally, I'm suprised CSXT is still holding onto it.  It's just one of those dangling branch lines they seem to be so found of chopping off.  Earlier this year there was some chatter that they where looking at dumping this line and a few other branches in Indiana off on RailAmerica or INRD, but that talk has died down.

Not sure what RailAmerica will do west of Greensburg - would assume they will bring it up to same condition as rest of line, but that's just a guess on my part (all talk from some of my former coworkers has focused on Cincy to Greensburg).

Also, just heard there are ties stacked just east of Greensburg (near Levinstein's Carpet on SR 46 for any of you locals), so it 's looking like something is afoot.    

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the speed info. Those ties that were stacked along Idaho Street (westend of the old Riverside yard) are now spread out along the ROW from just east of the old Riverside Yard to just west of Anderson Ferry Road. They are a mix of relay and new ties.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2006, 09:56:01 PM »
I do find it somewhat interesting they are using any relay ties on the mainline.  Considering they have a shorter life cycle, but then again they may be doing this for a future maintenance program.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:47 AM »
UNOFFICIAL story I heard is that there are certain agreements in place with Honda on when things will be done - basically everything (line rehab, line relocation, new yards, etc) will be done weeks or months BEFORE plant is ready to ship the first car.   If Honda wants to start shipping in 24 or less months from now, that leaves an awful small window to get everything done that needs done.

Based on that, one reason for relay ties might be that they are all RailAmerica can get their hands on right now.  Put yourself in their shoes.  You've got roughly 80 miles of mainline that's currently 25 MPH with a number of 10 MPH slow orders that you've got to get into 35 MPH - 45 MPH standards (which I've been told will likely include some rail replacement).  You've got probably 20 plus track miles of new track to build (mainline relocation with 2 sidings, the two yards and the load out tracks).  You undoubtably will have some grade crossings to rebuild and may have new crossing protection instalations to do.  And you've got less than 2 years (with 2 midwest winters) to get it done.  If you don't get started very soon, you'll never meet your commitments to Honda - and that can not happen.   So if you call up your suppliers and say I need a gazillion ties (a bunch of which I want RIGHT NOW), and lots of rail, and a bunch of switches, and you suppliers say they can offer for immediate delivery 1500 new mainline ties, 1000 new indsutrial ties, and 2500 quality relay ties, you're going to say "I'll take it".  

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2006, 12:07:42 PM »
Scrap, very true.  

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 10:24:18 AM »
Thursday 8/17 train operated through to Shelbyville (had 3 empty ethanol cars for ISRR), so line is not clesed yet.   I was told orignally that line would close on 9/15, then last week, I was told closure date had been pushed up and was asked to re-route any cars I had headed in or out over Shelbyville/Beech Grove (which I did).  There's probably a few stragglers from other customers that couldn't be re-routed that they need to protect.  So, was this the last train????

The pile of ties on west side of Morris IN (MP 45.5) is growing considerably.  By my count yesterday evening, there are 120 bundles of ties stacked there now - that's 2400 ties.  Drove past there this morning on my way to work (I live out that way - work in Cincy), Atlas's grapple truck was already there and there where two tractor trailers loaded with ties parked along highway waiting to get in to unload.  I was told that there are a total of 6000 ties headed to Morris.

Story that I got yersterday afternoon is that the mainline rehab will be done in two phases.  Phase one (which is what is starting right now) will bring the entire line from Cincinnati to Greensburg well into the Class 2 standards (25 MPH) with no slow orders, and address any issues that would prevent 286,000 lbs rated cars.  This work will be patchy - heavy work in one area, nothing in the next.  For example, the 6000 ties at/enroute Morris will be concentrated in 8 or so miles of track between Sunman and just west of Batesville.   This work should all be completed over the next 90-120 days or so.  Phase 2 will start in the spring and will be a much more intensive rebuild, bringling line into Class 3 standards with a 40 MPH speed limit, and will likely include some rail replacement.

My question is why the rush to get the whole line up to a 286000 lbs rated, 25 MPH railroad this fall if you are going to completely rebuild again in the spring?  IF there is a lot of rail replacement scheduled in Phase 2, is it easier to put rail down first, and let the tie and surfacing gangs follow the rail gang (meaning you need a decent roadbed to nail the new rail down on, thus the Phase 1 project)?  Or will we be seeing a fair amount of equipment/material (both track and factory) come to the sight by rail over the winter?  Or a combination of both?  Time will tell.  Will be fun to watch - just glad to see my old pike reborn.  

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2006, 11:46:22 AM »
Just a little note to thank everybody contributing to this thread.  I've found this to be one of the most interesting threads we've had.

Keep up the good work and keep coming with updates!
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »
Scrap,  I believe your assumption of bringing heavier materials in might be the best bet.  Figure they might bring in machinery that way too.  
Has anything been said about what the building will actually look like.  If they are fast tracking that too, then I guess it might be modular concrete panels.  Then what about steel.  

Then again, it might just be to show Honda that RA is taking it seriously.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2006, 04:51:24 PM »
Not much of anything to report as of today at the honda plant site. Just a little bit of brush clearing. It doesnt look like there is even any track equipment or ties on the west side of Greensburg.

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
I'm going to go from Cincy to Greensburg tomorrow morning to check out the line and see what is happening. I'll report what I find, if anything. I pulled out my DVD's of this line from the 1950's, just to refresh the old images. It will be interesting to see it look some what like that again. I can still remember my dad and I chasing the James Whitcomb Riley one day. Needless to say he got a speeding ticket. ;D

Distant Admirer(Guest)

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 10:01:18 PM »
Wish I could be there to see all of this.   :'(
Could someone post pictures.   :)

Cheviot_Hill - If you were chasing the Riley in the late 60's your dad  would have got a ticket for driving too slow.  ;)

Scraphauler - Thanks for all of the updates.  Hope you are right about bringing in materials by rail. :)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2006, 12:48:19 PM »
UPDATE 8/19/2006 1230 PM

Was told yesterday afternoon that TODAY will be last train west of Greensburg (Just didn't get a chance to post last night - sorry).  I had a car that ended up in Shelbyville (CSXT was supposed to have rerouted it to Cincy but failed to do so - just found out about it around 4 yesterday afternoon).   I asked if I needed to reroute and was told they had a "clean up" trains scheduled to today to move the last straggler ethanol cars, and they would take care of it my car at same time.  My account rep said that unless something else changes last minute, today's train is the last one, and that contractor would start removal track asap.

Westbound just past my house (MP 47) about 5 minutes ago.  If anyone is out and about today, this is probably your last chance to catch a revenue move west of Greensburg for the next year or so.  Consist past house was a green HLCX MP-15, and an ex-BN geep, followed by one of my gondolas (being used as a buffer car) and 7 tankers.   Probably will have same 2 engines back east, plus two of my cars (one he has, and one from Shelbyville), 14-18 loads of grain from Greensburg and probably an empty tanker or two from the Decatur Soy Porcessors/Next Generation Agrichem.

Also, asked my account rep if the track from Greensburg to Honda sight could be leased to store a unit train whilke track is out of service(really do possibly have a need to park a 100 car train for a month or two, but that's another story).  He said is would not be possible,a s they will need access to sight as it's his understanding that material/equipment will come in by rail, so that probably answers the question I had on why the 2-phase rebuild.

If anyone is out and about and wants to stop by and say hi, feel free to.  All you have to do is find MP 47.  From that grade crossing - look north to houses that would have a view of track (hint - look in direction of car Chevrolet Dealership).  A lttle detective work, and your will find my house - trust me, you;ll figure which one is mine when you see it  ;D