Author Topic: INDIANA TRANSPORTATION MUSEUM  (Read 2019 times)

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
INDIANA TRANSPORTATION MUSEUM
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »
I WAS JUST CURIOUS OF I.T.M.'s STATUS? I HADN'NT HEARD ANYTHING IN A LONG WHILE. LAST I HEARD THEY WERE ON THE VERGE OF BEING EVICTED FROM NOBLESVILLE,IN. THEN I HAD HEARD THAT THE GROUP WAS ON THE VERGE OF SPLITTING UP INTO TWO GROUPS. AS FAR AS THE 587 GOES, WILL WE EVER GET TO SEE HER OUT AND ABOUT IN THE NOT TO DISTANT FUTURE?

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: INDIANA TRANSPORTATION MUSEUM
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »
The 587 has already been out.  I believe it was in last months Trains magazine???  Not for sure, I looked at 5 different ones at the time.  I am pretty sure the picture was taken in Ohio.  I am not too familiar with their trackage but seeing it in Ohio made me look twice because I don't know how it would have got there by rail.  Again, not for sure what tracks they can run on.    

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 03:05:24 PM »
That was the NKP 765 doing test runs from New Haven east.

ITM is still going strong.  They have their weekly dinner trains all summer.

I haven't heard more about Noblesville's threats of eviction.  I think they calmed down some.  ITM is always looking to move to a better and more secure location though.  There are some fields up near Cicero for sale that might be of sufficient size for a train museum and shops.  Unfortunately, being in Hamilton County, the asking price is in the millions, even without utilities onsite.

I don't know the status of the 587 specifically though.  I think it is going slowly, mostly looking for funding.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CHomko

• Engineer
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:01:18 PM »
Since someone brought it up, here is some somewhat recent news about ITM:

http://www.topics.com/articles/1/066381-4391-111.html

The museum is still up and running.  587 is no closer to having its boiler inspection completed with not much done since late 2004.  Keep looking at the news, BIG things may be in the works for ITM as indicated in the Topics article.
Chris Homko

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 12:22:01 AM »
Don't just keep looking for the news - come out and help make it - EVERYONE.  ITM isn't about to be "split in two."  Like all other volunteer organizations there are differences of opinion and personality conflicts.  Don't let that discourage you if you would like to join and help out.
We have a huge collection of items that need restoration requiring money and TIME.  We make money by running trains that also need restoration.
Before FairTrain starts running Paul and Dan with help from Andy hope to have one coach converted to a 110 volt air conditioning system that is NEW and therefore probably more reliable.  Five welders were just acquired so that the 480 volt AC can be converted to 32 volt DC in five coaches.  Then John and David and others will be able to test the air conditioning and make the needed adjustments and repairs.
Also, Jake and Craig are stripping vinyl from the walls of one coach.  It was a misguided effort of many years ago to improve the appearance but the adhesive used was eating into the steel.  After the vinyl is removed the walls must be painted.
Bill and Wilbert under the guidance of Bruce inspect the coaches so they will be ready to roll.
Pete is working on the track 3 nights per week with a crew including John, Don, Paul, Bob, Jim, Chris and Nathan.  My apologies to any that have helped that I've forgotten.
Jay runs a brush cutting train usually twice a week that hauls John, Neil, Mitch, Gus and others to places that need work.
David and Eleanor handle school charters that are guided around the grounds by Bob, Peter, Max, Lee and Ginny.
Lavonne, Carole and John work the gift shop/ticket office bringing in the money to help keep the place running.
Many of the people listed above are also on train crews carrying the customers on trips along the line while coach attendants whose names I don't know or can't remember help with the crowds.  Jeremy's crew mans the concession stand.
The Weekend Express sees growing ridership.  Pizza Trains are sold out weeks in advance.  Dinner in the Diner sells out months in advance.
There is always something to do at almost any time of the week.  All these people continue working to advance the goals of ITM even while sometimes bickering about the best way to do so.  I avoided ITM for a couple years because I also heard the rumors.  It was a mistake on my part.
$20 per year for an individual or $35 for a family and you get to visit the museum all you want and get 10% off things from the gift shop.  Plus, as a member you can come out and work your tail off. :)
Chris, Lavonne and Jake say you haven't been out for a while.  Come on by and say "hi."  During open hours I'm usually in the gift shop.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:26:19 AM by Ralph »

CHomko

• Engineer
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 04:16:31 AM »
In response to Ralph: I have been up to ITM a few times lately, but only to visit.  Family is taking most of my time now as well as going back to college.  On that note I am moving to Lafayette on August 10 to attend Purdue University, so I will probobly be up there even less.  Wish I could help out with the big plans that seem to be coming together, but family and job come first.  Say hi to Jakeand Lavonne for me.  If you haven't seen them, check out the pictures I posted to the pictures of historic railroading on 587, 426 and the FEC #90.  I hope Fairtrain runs without a hitch this year.

As Ralph said, If you live near Noblesville now would be a great time to join ITM and help them out with Fairtrain.  They are always looking for car hosts too.  Great things are in the works for the future of ITM that will happen, irregardless of the current management.  So, if you have been a member in the past but left becasue of a lack of a clear future, re-join now.  They need as many people as they can get to help prepare ITM for the changes that are coming in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 04:18:51 AM by CHomko »
Chris Homko

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
O.K. I'll bite...

When are these "changes" going to be announced?  We have been hearing about them for a long while now.  I have visited when I have time as well, but it seems it is always organized chaos up there when ever I am there.  I might join if I saw a light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm sure others are on here just like me.

I too hope Fairtrain goes without a hitch...

Dave

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 12:30:49 PM »
The "light at the end of the tunnel" won't show up until you have real railroaders running the place. They had several opportunities to bring in good people over the past 10-12 years, in fact they did have good people but ran them off due to the fact the board didn't want to run a railroad, didn't want any more off line excursions, didn't want anything period. Couple this with a total lack of gratitude toward the guys they had volunteering in train and engine service for them as well as the guys who were maintaining 587 and you can see why no one will be beating the doors down to volunteer for them. You can also see why the operation is so limited in scope now as opposed to 12 years ago. It is organized chaos and anyone who does try to organize things or show these people how to operate a railroad properly is fought tooth and nail. It's really sad. I know, I've been there, done that.

ITM Fan(Guest)

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »
Dear BRC--

As posted on another board--folks like you are exactly what we don't want at the museum.  You apparently came and went like so many others who don't want to put the time, effort and energy in to making it work.  They would rather flame the place than actually doing something about helping it work.  Please don't grace us with your return presence as we have operations well in hand.  

Fairtrain is on schedule as is track and brush as some folks want to moan about.  

Again, thanks for really helping the place out by flaming it here.  

Good riddance, BRC

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 11:20:39 PM »
Before this thread becomes flame-engulfed from both sides, I'm closing it.

Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.