Author Topic: Indy Line signals part 2  (Read 2433 times)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Indy Line signals part 2
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
Well, the signal work continues on for the Indy Line from Muncie west to Anderson.
The signals on the west side of Muncie are up, and all the way to Yorktown (probably the signals around Daleville are as well, but not sure yet)

As was noted before, these are bi-directional signals as the line will be Rule 261 from CP230 west to CP245.  But no crossover at CP230 to allow dispatcher controlled moves.  So anything that crosses over will do so at Hart (west Muncie) via Manual control.

No clue when the signals in Muncie will go in.  The word was the big signal bridge for EB's at CP230 was going to come down in the project, but as of today the bases for the signals are not in place, and all other locations they are in.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: Indy Line signals part 2
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »
The bases are in for the WB signals at CP-230. But not the signals yet. The hard to get to signal at CP-VANCE has a new replacement standing but not cut in. Saw no other replacements at Muncie.

All the ABS signals seem to be in except one of the two at Daleville and the replacements at Chesterfield airport seem to be in.

I would imagine some EB signals in Anderson will need to be replaced to show signals into the new 261 running.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
All the bases are now in.
The WB bases at 230 have been in.  I've not seen anything for the NS side at CP230 yet though, just the tube for the wire.
We noticed the EB bases are in for 230 now and they are all the way up at the diamond.  I was told the signal bridge would come down and had been watching for the bases to go in close to the bridge, but yesterday we saw them clear down at the diamond.  So that rules out them putting in crossovers at 230.

I was told there is going to be an intermediate on #1 at Vance heading EB to shorten up the hold time for the signal at 229.  As it is now, a train has to clear the signal east of Country Club road before it gets an approach.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
All the bases are now in.
The WB bases at 230 have been in.  I've not seen anything for the NS side at CP230 yet though, just the tube for the wire.
We noticed the EB bases are in for 230 now and they are all the way up at the diamond.  I was told the signal bridge would come down and had been watching for the bases to go in close to the bridge, but yesterday we saw them clear down at the diamond.  So that rules out them putting in crossovers at 230.

I was told there is going to be an intermediate on #1 at Vance heading EB to shorten up the hold time for the signal at 229.  As it is now, a train has to clear the signal east of Country Club road before it gets an approach.

I wonder if there are plans to reconfigure the interlockings to allow for the NS to use crossovers to get across the CSX?  This future project would give CSX the needed x-overs to make it a truely dynamic railroad.  Eliminate the 'new 3' connection on the west side, and a little reconfiguring on the east, and I think you could pull such an arrangement off.

Practice Safe CSX

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:08:48 PM »
There were plans for that years back.  NS and Conrail tried for a while to do a crossover but it was something to the effect of a crossover just west of Vance and then another set of switches at 229.
I'm not sure Conrail liked that idea, but wanted NS to just crossover at 229.  I was told the interlocking at 229 wasn't big enough and the bridge over Madison street would pose an issue.
Whether that is true or not?

Myself and DrLoco talked about the reason for 230 being so big and the idea of crossovers being in there.
Obviously CSX sees no use in that.  Plus, the 261 ends at 230...
I don't believe there is room at 230 to put a switch in from the CSX to NS, plus that leg of the wye is too tight.  Unless NS bought that land and put it in there, but would they spend the money?

Plus, why move the signals up on the interlocking that tight if you planned to make changes in the near future. 

Much of this project makes little sense to me, but hey its me not them...

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Indy line signals Pt#2
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
Ran by the new signals along Route #32 (Kilgore Ave.) this morning.

The signal heads at this site are still covered, and point 90-degrees off-line.

As you can see in Pic #1, the heads for both east and westbound traffic (both Track #1 & #2) are together with a new electronic box placed rail-side.

Pic #2 shows that these units are positioned between the existing west signal stand and the east-bound signal (which is further to the left and not in this photo).

This site is on the CSX Indy line, just west of the South Tillotson intersection.

RDS

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
Those damn "Darth Vader" signals have no character.... >:(

I'm gonna miss the NYC signals.

intermodalres

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »
Those damn "Darth Vader" signals have no character.... >:(

I'm gonna miss the NYC signals.

I agree!!!

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
Fifty years from now, someone, somewhere will be saying," I miss those ol vader signals."  (hopefully, it's me.)
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

storrs19

• President
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
I guess the pole line will be a victim as well?  Nice to see telegraph poles with the wires still connected and working along a main line railroad.  That's a rarity these days.
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
I guess the pole line will be a victim as well? 

CSX is on a system wide code line elimination project.  Obviously isn't going to happen overnight, but there is a real kick to get rid of this maintainers nightmare.

As far as future crossovers at Muncie and current signal placements, one need only to look to the fact that this stretch had already been wired and prepped for a signal replacement around split date.  Bases, and the fiber optics had been laid, but signals never installed.  This current project (and the one for Muncie to Union City) didn't utilize any of the previously established signal locations.

Practice Safe CSX

mlb

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
YOU ARE CORRECT WHEN YOU SAY MAINTAINERS NIGHTMARE. THE POLES CARRIED BOTH COMM LINES AND SIGNAL LINES. SIGNAL DEPT COULDN'T TOUCH THEIR LINES AND COMM COULDN'T MOVE SIGNAL WIRES, SO ANYTIME YOU NEEDED TO DISTURB THEIR LINES TO GET TO SIGNAL LINES YOU HAD TO A HAVE COMMUNICATIONS PERSON COME OUT. CALL  OUTS AND OVERTIME IS WHERE IT USUALLY HAD AN EFFECT.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
Yup the code line will be just like east of Muncie, GONE.  Sad to see it gone.

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »
Yup the code line will be just like east of Muncie, GONE.  Sad to see it gone.
But on a brighter note, CSX won't have as many suicides from maintainers trying to deal with the code line. lol. Jk
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
With 261 rules in place, the Hart crossover will probably be removed. I doubt CSX is going to pay for the required electric switch locks for it.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
With 261 rules in place, the Hart crossover will probably be removed. I doubt CSX is going to pay for the required electric switch locks for it.
Does CSX even use Hart yard anymore?
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

hallbf

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:08 PM »
Fifty years from now, someone, somewhere will be saying," I miss those ol vader signals."  (hopefully, it's me.)

Exactly or we'll be lamenting the fact that there won't be lineside signals anymore due to PTC/cab signals.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
Exactly or we'll be lamenting the fact that there won't be lineside signals anymore due to PTC/cab signals.
That was my thought on the matter, PTC will certainly change how we view railroading.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »

Why would you need electric locks on a crossover?  Hart X-over doesn't have electric locks on it now, but it is tied into the signal system as it would drop the surrounding signals to red.  You only need electric locks on a location where trains can clear if the speed over the switch is greater than 25mph.

Its been awhile since I've been in Hart Yard, but I have to believe it already had an electric lock on it, as ballast and work trains would tie up in there.  

Practice Safe CSX
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:14:09 AM by CSX_CO »