Author Topic: Radial Couplers  (Read 2431 times)

Craig Berndt(Guest)

Radial Couplers
« on: May 21, 2006, 08:12:01 PM »
Was there a patent name or other official name for the radial coupler?  Or any other names by which the radial coupler was known?

Warren_Thompson

• Conductor
Re: Radial Couplers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:41:19 AM »
Was there a patent name or other official name for the radial coupler?  Or any other names by which the radial coupler was known?

Good question. Many of the radial couplers were built to CERA specs and were known as Tomlinson MCBs. Tomlinsons, of course,  came in two versions: latch-type (e.g., CA&E and IRR lightweights) and knuckle couplers (some of the WB&A/B&A cars featured a special version known as Tomlinson tightlocks).

My questions: Was there a company known as Tomlinson? Or is Tomlinson a type-name for couplers made by various manufacturers?

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:12:26 AM »
From what I've found in a little bit of research, there was a Tomlinson company, and it was the second biggest manufacturer of interurban couplers.  Westinghouse was apparently the largest, and Van Dorn was third.

All of the above made radial couplers with integrated mu/electric/steam/etc connections.

I believe those companies also made standard couplers that fit in radial coupler pockets, per MCB spec.  It would be nice to know what the MCB spec's were...might give more of an idea who to look at as makers, and how exactly the things worked.

Also, I think that "Tomlinson" has now largely become a generic term for any tight-lock coupler with integrated connections as I've seen it applied in a few cases to modern couplers too.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

Warren_Thompson

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
From what I've found in a little bit of research, there was a Tomlinson company, and it was the second biggest manufacturer of interurban couplers.  Westinghouse was apparently the largest, and Van Dorn was third.

All of the above made radial couplers with integrated mu/electric/steam/etc connections.

I believe those companies also made standard couplers that fit in radial coupler pockets, per MCB spec.  It would be nice to know what the MCB spec's were...might give more of an idea who to look at as makers, and how exactly the things worked.

Also, I think that "Tomlinson" has now largely become a generic term for any tight-lock coupler with integrated connections as I've seen it applied in a few cases to modern couplers too.

First, a question: where did you find the information on the Tomlinson company?

Secondly, herewith additional information garned from a Google search for
"Tomlinson MCB couplers." Tomlinsons originated in Denver, but then were made, in diverse types,  for many years by the Ohio Brass Company. As well, both Van Dorn and Tomlinson "offered various types of M.C.B. compatible radial 'knuckle' couplers, more correctly called 'Vertical Plane Couplers.'"

Other makers of "knuckle" couplers were Washburn, McConley & Torley, and Sharon Steel Foundries (incidentally, I believe the last-named company was served by the Penn-Ohio interurban line.)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:51:51 PM »
First, a question: where did you find the information on the Tomlinson company?

Secondly, herewith additional information garned from a Google search for
"Tomlinson MCB couplers." Tomlinsons originated in Denver, but then were made, in diverse types,  for many years by the Ohio Brass Company. As well, both Van Dorn and Tomlinson "offered various types of M.C.B. compatible radial 'knuckle' couplers, more correctly called 'Vertical Plane Couplers.'"

Other makers of "knuckle" couplers were Washburn, McConley & Torley, and Sharon Steel Foundries (incidentally, I believe the last-named company was served by the Penn-Ohio interurban line.)
Oops.  My mistake...I just didn't read the entire paragraph on Tomlinson when I was doing that quick research.  I thought it was the company name, but Ohio Brass really was the maker.

Thanks for the additional info on radial knuckle couplers.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.