Author Topic: Jan 2011: NNYC Museum photo shoot  (Read 1167 times)

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
Jan 2011: NNYC Museum photo shoot
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
This is being organized by some fans from the railroadfan.com message board together with the National New York Central Railroad Museum in Elkhart.  They're trying to get the word out and welcome all fans to come, attend, get some photos, and support the museum.  Here is the initial post...check the link below for the thread to see additional updates.  This should be pretty cool!!

"Ron at the NYC Museum has graciously opened the museum to us for a photo shoot and mini "Polar Bear" meet in January 2011. The meet will begin at 10am on Saturday Jan. 22, with the photo session taking place around Dusk and afterwords, and into Sunday morning until everyone is gone. Lighting is being provided as well as smoke effects and there is at least 1 complete train crew chosen with the availability of a few ground people.

"Cost... since this IS a photo shoot there is going to be an admission fee of $20 per person to help defer the costs of lighting and also that includes a donation to the NYC Museum, as well as a few other treats.

"Equipment will also include PC GG1 #4882 and NYC EMD E8A #4085, as well as a caboose and interior of that caboose.

"Also, this will be one of the final times to get into NYC #3001's Cab at the museum as she is slated for a renovation sometime early next year, and the Museum can use the extra funds on projects they have to be worked on. This is open to everyone, and you do not need to be a professional photographer to attend."

To attend, check out this link and see the note at the bottom for RSVP:

http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19526

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: Jan 2011: NNYC Museum photo shoot
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
The 3001 is getting renovated!!!  That just answered a rumor I heard a few weeks ago.  When done, that is suppose to be back in running condition.  Maybe they can somehow find some track to run it on, Kzoo branch???  I am not holding my breath but can only hope. 

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:51:30 PM »
Yeah Rick, I saw that and wondered about that too.  Did they land a good size grant from some place to do some serious rehab work on the Mohawk?  I actually think this would be a fantastic excursion engine....large and with plenty of power, but yet smaller in overall size than many other locomotives with a 2-8-4 or 4-8-2 wheel arrangement.  I wonder where they would be able to run it; I'm not sure what Grand Elk/Watco's view on steam is, but the Branch to Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids would be a significant stretch of scenic track for an excursion.  I don't think the NYC ran steam of that size on their LS&MS Kalamazoo branch, but they did run them on the Water Level Route and the Michigan Central.....so that's pretty close.

If anyone has any details about this potential rebuild of the largest remaining NYC steam engine.....lets hear it!

fc315

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »
I already heard 5 years ago that the 3001 was gonna get moved out west to get a complete overhall. But supposadly NS said they would not move it in the the shape it's in plus the tracks getting onto museum property are to bad for a locomotive to move on with out derailing. This past summer a friend of mine told me 3001 was only going to get a cosmetic make over. So who knows? It would be nice to see it run again!!
HAPPY RAILS TO YOU

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
I might have to stop in there and ask a few questions?  When I volunteered there10 years ago, the tracks from the NS to the museum where not is great shape.  I know there was some tie and ballast work done over the last 5 years or so but not sure where at in the museum.   In reality, I think it would cost much less to do the E8.  When I was there, the museum was quoted at 100k for a complete rebuild job. I can only imagine the cost for the 3001 is more if it is to be operational.  Just cosmetic then it won't be that much.